Re: cuppacoffee Upgrading Elektra to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 584E4B4B5A58545D5D5E5E3B0 link=1281602030/13#13 date=1281614422
    and a Synesso would be at the very bottom of my list
    care to share the dislike of synesso dennis?

i think BF might be real close here with the LM bet

Comment

Okay let the guessing continue.

Does it have one boiler?

Comment

i know i am out but cant resist

is it a LM Strada ?

Comment

Originally posted by 0007030C040E1B0B0C05620 link=1281602030/14#14 date=1281614807
          2grp LM?
          But which one?

Originally posted by 100D090C0707620 link=1281602030/15#15 date=1281615496
          care to share the dislike of synesso dennis?
          I dont like the design and it certainly would look out of place in my shop. I dont like places that look like they are modelled on operating theatres. Ironically, I am a minimalist at heart and yet Ive chosen to decorate in the hope that people who vist are comfortable and have lots of interesting things to see that make them feel welcome, and are not concerened that they are about to be probed by an alien looking coffee machine. I also think theyre over-priced, though if I were the type of person that wanted to tweak every single shot then I would certainly consider it.

I never thought Id buy what I have either. Ive referred to them as shoe boxes. It will be a workhorse that is simple to operate with the bonus of pre-infusion. And I wont have to worry about recovery because Im making a long black (sales of these have gone up since I dropped the price). I think its simplicity of design will be a nice foil for the more flamboyant Faema Mercurio that will be nearby.

Comment

La Marzocco Linea with mechanical paddles Now what do I win?

Aside from the looks, having used Synessos most days of the week as our lab machine, they are expeno for sure.
            But if youre doing back back shots with all groups running, both steam wands pumpin out for 5hrs straight, they pay themselves off in a busy cafe/bar. Not for everyone and every cafe/bar though.

Comment

Spot on Dan and agree with all youve said.

Maybe your prize could be to give me some lessons in using my Hario halogen to brew a good syphon!

On to my next subject...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1281619841/0

Not a photo of the actual machine but youll get the drift...

Comment

awesome. True, its been too long since Ive down your end of the earth, when I do, well play syphons.

Any other options to the machine; individual boilers/pumps/PIDS for each, barista lights?

Comment

High groups and thats it Dan. I actually bought it sight unseen as it was the only one the importers had in stock.

It would be a pleasure to see you at the shop!

Comment

Hi Den,

Im wondering what steered you away from a lever machine? Ive got a La Pav for home and love it, when my plans kick off Im thinking of keeping with the lever machines in a commercial setting.

As youve got so much experience (something forums cant provide - not even Coffeesnobs!) Id really appreciate your thoughts re your decision... if you dont mind passing them on.

Thanks Den, all the best,
                    Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by 0B2732322E23311903342F25460 link=1281602030/23#23 date=1281670415
                      (experience (something forums cant provide - not even Coffeesnobs!))
                      Cant say I agree with this statement, Coffee Snobs is a mine of information if your prepared to do a little digging.

Comment

Originally posted by 0B2732322E23311903342F25460 link=1281602030/23#23 date=1281670415
                        Im wondering what steered you away from a lever machine? Ive got a La Pav for home and love it, when my plans kick off Im thinking of keeping with the lever machines in a commercial setting.
                        Im not Dennis, but lever machines in a commercial outfit can be sketchy. For one, you have to watch every shot as its not gonna just stop, volumetric style. Its easy to pull shots too long. Another is they can be uber inconsistent with its output. Not to say consistently good or bad, just hard to get consistent. I worked behind the bar with Gwilym (world barista champ 09 and all round nice guy) in London just recently who has a 2 grp lever. I reckon amongst 12 shots we pulled, we got 6 or 8 different flavour profiles. None were really that bad cos we were using amazing coffee, but to get them consistent was hard. Thats half the fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F53534C57360 link=1281602030/25#25 date=1281673664
                          Im not Dennis, but lever machines in a commercial outfit can be sketchy. For one, you have to watch every shot as its not gonna just stop, volumetric style. Its easy to pull shots too long. Another is they can be uber inconsistent with its output. Not to say consistently good or bad, just hard to get consistent. I worked behind the bar with Gwilym (world barista champ 09 and all round nice guy) in London just recently who has a 2 grp lever. I reckon amongst 12 shots we pulled, we got 6 or 8 different flavour profiles. None were really that bad cos we were using amazing coffee, but to get them consistent was hard. Thats half the fun though.
                          Youre a smart cookie Dan!

While I love the idea of the lever its not practical, not only for the reasons Dan has already mentioned. I would also be concerned that as I would not necessarily be the only one using it, a lever would require additional training and physically tiring.

Besides, I will have a lever here and the intention is to run it for espresso only, along with one of the BNZs with a special reserve coffee.

I think it will provide the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by 746868776C0D0 link=1281602030/25#25 date=1281673664
                            but lever machines in a commercial outfit can be sketchy
                            Hi Dan,

havnt found that at all with mine, like any machine dose grind and tamp right and the pours are consistant within a few seconds every time. What lever machine was he using?

Comment

Originally posted by 7864647B60010 link=1281602030/19#19 date=1281618930
                              La Marzocco Linea with mechanical paddles
                              and hopefully those .6 restrictors are fitted too

Comment

Originally posted by 3C3B3F303832273730395E0 link=1281602030/27#27 date=1281677696
                                What lever machine was he using?
                                Victoria Arduino Athena http://www.flickr.com/photos/35292968@N05/4724322099/in/set-72157624333368906/

Comment

Working...
                                X