Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article in The Age today - St. Ali

Another positive blurb for St. Ali.
    http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/st-ali-20100816-125x3.html
    On the home page of the Age, there is a picture linked to the article (also on the right of the page when looking at the article) and it appears to be the lovely Steve Agi doing his best to look busy!

Re: Article in The Age today - St. Ali

Good review, although these days I often feel like I am reading advertorial if its the Age and St Ali :

They must be getting RSI from self-administered back slapping by now  :-?

A mate was there for a feed on Saturday and waited over an hour before they were able to get anything onto a table

Comment

Originally posted by 20273224293F19777F7F7F460 link=1281942875/0#0 date=1281942875
      Another positive blurb for St. Ali.
      The reader reviews are far less positive.

I havent been but would love to go.

Comment

Agree with Chris re potential for it just being an advertorial. Ive had far better coffees elsewhere. Not sure what all the fuss is about... Kind of proves that if you hype something up enough, everyone else will also go Ahh, yes it iS good

Sorry (end rant).

Comment

2 more cents

there are those who like to like a place bc its hip

there are those who like to dislike a place bc its hip

there are those who couldnt really care too much
          other than to let their palate guide them to a place
          that works for them

aaron

Comment

Originally posted by 25383C393232570 link=1281942875/4#4 date=1281946827
            there are those who couldnt really care too much
            other than to let their palate guide them to a place
            that works for them

Comment

Originally posted by 3623312A2B27420 link=1281942875/3#3 date=1281945501
              Agree with Chris re potential for it just being an advertorial. Ive had far better coffees elsewhere. Not sure what all the fuss is about... Kind of proves that if you hype something up enough, everyone else will also go Ahh, yes it iS good  
              How so? Theres a place in the CBD thats hyped up beyond belief but their coffee just doesnt hit the right spot for me.
              That doesnt mean theyre overrated or that their coffee is bad (in fact i can tell its beautifully made), its just that it doesnt work for me and my palate.

As for St.Ali, only been there once and found the coffee to be excellent (not quite in my top five in Melbourne, though), the service not so.

I understand the divide St.Ali causes amongst the coffee community (much of it well founded) but for me its all about whats in the cup and  in that regard St.Ali certainly passed.

Comment

To each their own...

I really wanted to like it for several reasons - Slayer #0001, atmosphere is great, really nice interiors, close to me... but all the coffees Ive had there were ashy so I wont be returning

Comment

Originally posted by 7366746F6E62070 link=1281942875/7#7 date=1281958512
                  To each their own...
                  Absolutely.

Originally posted by 7366746F6E62070 link=1281942875/7#7 date=1281958512
                  I really wanted to like it for several reasons -Slayer #0001, atmosphere is great, really nice interiors, close to me...but all the coffees Ive had there were ashy so I wont be returning
                  Its certainly a lovely, rustic building and i can understand and appreciate why so many treat it as their mecca, but at the moment im loving the smaller, boutique one or two man operation coffee establishments at the moment.
                  They provide a friendlier, more authentic atmosphere and its nice knowing that whenever you visit, the same couple of faces will be present, ensuring consistency in the cup.

Comment

First off St Ali is promoted to within an inch of its life in blogs, linked websites, articles, coffee review sites ...... that along with being a place that 2 or 3 years ago was focused on producing some of the best coffees in Melbourne. This is why pseudo news keeps getting written about them. Some of the best talent from that time and before has now gone on to other things and ventures.

The remaining talent pool is spread to thin within the organisation amongst the three outlets to my outsiders point of view so the coffee which is now the secondary focus of the St Ali operation. It is now more Cafe than coffee shop. Nothing wrong with the coffee but the attention to detail and coffee excellence is not there which leads to hit or miss in the cup.

Would I go their for a coffee still after my last visit given the number of other quality offering in Melbourne :-/

Comment

i guess a part of me is wondering if, given we have a space for recommending cafes (in which we are asked to not criticise) if this thread is "fair"?

aaron

Comment

I agree that the world of coffee evolution has come a long way in Melbourne in the last few years and it appears to be the smaller operations which are leading the way in terms of innovation and quality control...

Comment

Originally posted by 485551545F5F3A0 link=1281942875/10#10 date=1282008504
                          i guess a part of me is wondering if, given we have a space for recommending cafes (in which we are asked to not criticise) if this thread is "fair"?

aaron
                          I think that they put themselves out there that much then they are open to this type of discussion. Just my 2c, dont have an opinion as I have never been there (would love to though, damn work cant get away!!!)

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by 64797D787373160 link=1281942875/10#10 date=1282008504

aaron
                            theres been some quite "anti" comments made here in the past in relation to St Ali, and many other cafes. Accusations of paid editorials etc.

I think with a lot of the media profile St Ali gets youre looking at the combined work of a jack russell terrier PR person, meeting lazy journalism.

I return to your original comment though Roknee - go where your palate leads you.

Comment

tall poppies.........

Comment

Working...
                              X