Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkish / Greek style coffee @ home - do you ever indulge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkish / Greek style coffee @ home - do you ever indulge?

Hi all,

After making a Turkish coffee this morning, I realised that I drink it quite a bit of this and that Im not aware if Im alone of if there are many others out there in CS land that give it a regular nudge. That being the case I thought a quick poll might be in order.

Im not from that part of the world so havent tasted too many prepared authentically, however if the one I had on Friday night @ a local Greek restaurant is anything to go by mine aint too bad. I swear, these guys just had the Coles stuff and just added hot water.

For anyone who is after a starting point to give this a shot, my methods below:

What youll need:
    - 10g coffee - ground to a powder
    - 10g raw sugar
    - 160g cold water
    - 1 Ibrik (preferably - otherwise the smallest narrowest pot youve got)

Method:
    - Grind coffee & add to ibrik - stir to dissolve any lumps
    - Add sugar
    - Add water
    - Place on stovetop over low/med heat - KEEP AN EYE ON IT, IT RISED QUICKLY AS IT BOILS!
    - After a few minutes itll start to boil and rise, on the first rise remove it from the heat just before it boils over and scoop the froth off the top, just a little, put this into your cup
    - Put the ibrik back on the heat and let it rise again, and again remove from heat just before it boils over however this time dont remove any froth
    - Once again back on the heat until its about to boil over and remove
    - Let it sit for 30 seconds and pour slowly and steadily into a 6oz cup leaving the last good few thick mls in the ibrik
    - Enjoy!

Once again, thats only my method, please feel free to add to this, or subtract. It makes a coffee thatll put hair on your ears, you might want to split this into two smaller glasses.

Thanks for this, Im interested to see whos also into the Turkish taste.

All the best,
    Matthew

Re: Turkish / Greek style coffee @ home - do you ever indulge?

Originally posted by 614D585844495B73695E454F2C0 link=1282006336/0#0 date=1282006336
    After making a Turkish coffee this morning, I realised that I drink it quite a bit of this and that Im not aware if Im alone of if there are many others out there in CS land that give it a regular nudge. That being the case I thought a quick poll might be in order.

Its a 40 year old habit for me

KK

Comment

I prefer mine made in the old market in Istanbul and served to me by a gorgeous girl who came back to read the grounds later made for a nice morning ritual for a few weeks Something about the atmosphere and given the only other option was Euro burnt robusta Nescafe  :P made it great.

Never actually tried making one at home so one of the few brew methods I havent played with.  :

So tried it and liked it but with so many other options I guess making one has never really come up to the top of the list. No vote for me given the options.

Comment

Originally posted by 4C6075756964765E44736862010 link=1282006336/0#0 date=1282006336
        I swear, these guys just had the Coles stuff and just added hot water.
        Probably; my relatives have been using Bushels for as long as I can remember.  :

Originally posted by 4C6075756964765E44736862010 link=1282006336/0#0 date=1282006336
        What youll need:
        - 10g coffee - ground to a powder
        - 10g raw sugar
        - 160g cold water
        I dont understand these measurements; I use "spoonfuls" and "cups" (see my way below).

It makes a coffee thatll put hair on your ears
        So thats whats been causing it!

you might want to split this into two smaller glasses
        or 4 or 6 (We drink it out of demitasse just like espresso).

Here are some old threads on Greek/Turkish Coffee:
        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1210739645
        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174113535/0

My preparation method:
        Originally posted by 0834293238392E3B33385C0 link=1174113535/4#4 date=1174185807
        OK, heres the way we do it (Greek heritage household):

Firstly you have to decide how sweet you want the coffee.
        Even a lot of Greeks dont like it without sugar (sketos) so the most common method is "metrios", one sugar per cup.

Less commonly someone will ask for a "sweet" one (glikos); two sugars.
        Real sweet tooths will demand a "vari glikos"; 3 sugars. *shudder

Measure the water, using the cups theyll be served in.
        One cup of water for each (and my wife likes to add one more for good measure).
        Use one heaped teaspoon of coffee for each cup plus sugar as above.

Use a medium low heat and stir until the coffee is dissolved: dont stir again.
        Heat until it froths up and then remove from the heat.
        The foam is called kaïmaki.

Share the kaïmaki between the cups and then top up all the cups with the coffee; try not to disturb the kaïmaki.

Done!

Note: My wifes method, with the extra cup of water, is to avoid getting as much sediment into the cups. I dont mind either way.

P.S. Trivia:
        Greeks use the word "kaïmaki" to describe the "crema"-like foam on top.
        A lot of other cultures (as you might know) use the word "crema".
        The word "crema" in Greek is used for actual cream.

P.P.S Matthew what do you grind your coffee with and how fine can you get it (it should be like flour)?
        The one time I tried grinding it with the Macap I got it fine enough but severely clogged up my grinder.

I believe grinders for Greek coffee are specially made.
        I once saw one in the back room of a Newtown coffee shop that had a stone milling wheel.

Comment

Hi Thundergod,

That Bushells stuff is nasty, I gave it a shot about 10 years ago and didnt think too much of it.

I think the place youre thinking of in Newtown might be Sacks, they used to be called something different starting with A and are just down King St, south past the train station. They have Minas and Santos beans on offer and are responsible for getting me back into Turkish.

As for measuring, Ive quickly become an addict to it and now have a very precise way of preparing every drink I make. My wife calls me an idiot, but I think thats a little harsh.

Thanks for the links, Ive just had a read and am shocked to see that Dennis uses an aluminium ibrik - it might add flavor, but theres still a little chance you might get more than that! Ive got a beaten copper one, nothing flashy but made a great 7th wedding anniversary from Mrs MeP.

To grind Ive got a Mazzer Major which has no problem getting fine enough - its a bit slower than courser grinds but you cannot feel any particles at all when you give it a pinch test. And the slugde at the bottom is a pure sludge, none of that grainy stuff in plunger sludge

All the best,
          Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by 527E6B6B777A68405A6D767C1F0 link=1282006336/4#4 date=1282012609
            am shocked to see that Dennis uses an aluminium ibrik
            Seventy years ago aluminium was the option. Mum used it for more than 60 years. She is now 92+, generally reads two books concurrently, remembers every family members birthday, genuinely interested in conversation and not waffling on about the past, and enjoys a laugh. I envy her, and am not too concerned.

Comment

You cant really complain about getting to 92 and being able do all that! After reading your post I looked into aluminium & Alzheimers and found there is no solid link, but I cant stop thinking heated aluminium is not too good after years of having said - its the reason I moved on from my aluminium stovetop. That being said, Im sure thered be quite a few others out there just like you, who have some ripe old mums and dads that boil up on the same stovetop pot today that they did in the 50s.

And Ive got to say Den, yours looks cool, one of the best Ive seen!

Comment

GDay folks, first time poster here
                Anyway, in Bosnia where I originate from, coffee is regarded as a national drink. The style is similar to turkish but tastes better

Major difference to how bosnians make coffee, compared to turks and greeks is that we boil water in separate pot [or these days in electric kettles] and put finely ground coffee in the pot first. My personal preference is that I heat the coffee on the stove for about 4-5 seconds and then add water [that has settled for about 20sec after boiling]. Watch the pot as the level rises and take it off the stove just before it reaches top. Once it settles add water again to fill the pot to the top. Gently stir "kajmak" [crema] and then divide it between cups with a teaspoon. Serve with sugar cubes. [putting anything else in pot except coffee and water is considered blasphemy in Bosnia ]

Comment

This is another method of brewing coffee that I never like until I tried at home.
                  As always fresh roasted quality beans, ground on demand is the best way for any brew method.
                  I have had horrible plunger, turkish coffee out and about; thought that espresso was the only way. How wrong was I!
                  I enjoy cold press, plunger, syphon and now turkish. A wonderful journey this coffee thing!

Comment

Originally posted by 282B39393D2B334A0 link=1282006336/8#8 date=1297728283
                    As always fresh roasted quality beans, ground on demand is the best way
                    Yep and that is why I think lots of people have had less than great ibrik coffees in the past. Even bad beans ground on demand is better than anything that comes from a preground packet.

Comment

I think my Turkish coffee experience (in Turkey!) was made amazing not so much by the taste of the coffee, but the atmosphere of the night market and coffee being made over hot coals. LOVE IT!
                      Did buy and ibrik and have used it on occasion at home but not with fresh coffee... not sure whats wrong with me!! I think I just cant be bothered adjusting the grinder down to the dust setting.
                      The Macap M5 should do it OK though...?

Comment

I think once i was off breast milk, I was out onto Turkish coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 515E5442554764300 link=1282006336/10#10 date=1297746260
                          The Macap M5 should do it OK though...?
                          I did it once but must have gone too fine and jammed it up.

Had to pull it apart to clean the burrs and get it going again.

No damage done but be careful.

Comment

Working...
                          X