Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qustion about about using double baskets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qustion about about using double baskets.

I use a double basket for brewing (my single basket is stepped).  It holds approx. 18g.

My question is this: should I adjust my grind to produce double the normal volume of espresso in the normal shot time because Im using a double basket?

I ask because I have a naked portafilter and like to use my espresso cups that hold about 40ml. I dont know whether Im better off adjusting for a 25 sec. 40ml or setting my grind for a 80ml 25 sec shot and stopping pull half way.

Re: Qustion about about using double baskets.

Go for the "25 sec. 40ml" option and toss the single basket away.

Comment

Originally posted by 745B514C350 link=1282567325/1#1 date=1282569183
      Mmmm.... Sweet Ristretto 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Re: Question about using double baskets.

25 sec for a 40ml double sounds like way too tight a shot to me. Id go for something like 30ml in around 15 secs.

Comment

Originally posted by 75585C505D310 link=1282567325/2#2 date=1282635812
          Originally posted by 745B514C350 link=1282567325/1#1 date=1282569183
          Mmmm.... Sweet Ristretto 8-)

Mal.
          OH yea... That is the ideal oils  for me

"im all over it like a verticality challenged and horizontally enhanced; kid on a cupcake"

Originally posted by 61505D5E5D5E310 link=1282567325/3#3 date=1282639773
          Id go for something like 30ml in around 15 secs.
          Depending on the beans... But almost gusher by me when at home... Wife would think twice before serving...

Comment

Nicely worded AM

~40ml in 25s workes for me as well

Warren.

Comment

Im fairly new at this caper, so with that in mind ... does that 25 seconds include pre-infusion time? I know its just a guide and taste is the overall arbiter, but Id like to the opinion of more refined palettes.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A424953464B4E5453270 link=1282567325/6#6 date=1282825733
                Im fairly new at this caper, so with that in mind ... does that 25 seconds include pre-infusion time? I know its just a guide and taste is the overall arbiter, but Id like to the opinion of more refined palettes.
                If ya new... Search and do some fishing first... Advanced and some key words such as pre-infusion time....

Also read teh sticky as to how to search...

20 words or less = Yes

But it depends; lots of variables involved ;D

Comment

Ive done a lot of fishing here and elsewhere on this question and opinions vary more than a bunch enonmists would. So I thought Id ask the question once more for good measure. And I guess it doesnt hurt to have said question answered in every thread on brew times. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 757D766C7974716B6C180 link=1282567325/8#8 date=1282828325
                    Ive done a lot of fishing here and elsewhere on this question and opinions vary more than a bunch enonmists would. So I thought Id ask the question once more for good measure. And I guess it doesnt hurt to  have said question answered in every thread on brew times. Cheers.
                    It is not so much as to what is correct..

But more the issue of lets compare Apples with apples...

My pour time is 14 and yours is 24 .... But I decide to count from the drips start...  You from when you flick the switch / hit the button and some one else take his 4 seconds out of teh calculations due to pre infusion time out...  Doh. We have a mess and no one knows where they are standing.

Thus start counting when ya hit the switch etc and stop when you kill it or the timer stops the pump...  As to if the last few droples count in the volume etc... Well I can be anal; but am also a realist  ;D

OH and  dont try to compare a true Lever with a more mechanical machine... Different again.... Just like a preso.. It is about what is in the cup.. NOT THE FRIGEN NUMBERS.

Comment

Generally speaking, if you are using time and volume to define your shots, then the time begins from the point at which you press your extraction button. The industry standard is 25-30 ml in 25-30 seconds. So, using an 18 gram basket, a voulume of 40 ml in 25 seconds is pretty good.

As you become more familiar with extracting your shots, you will inevitably find that these volumes and time guidelines are very broad, and the true indicator of quality while extracting, and correct rate of flow is visual.

So here are some visual indicators to assist you also-

1) Infusion- approx 5-10 seconds before your shot appears from the spouts.

2) Colour- dark chocolate, dark caramels etc.

3)Even from both spouts- indicator of even tamping action.

4)Texture- Thick, heavy, viscous. Should begin dripping, then even out into an extraction from both spouts. Pouring directly downward from the spouts.

5)Colour change- the colour of your shot will change from the dark colours and thick textures, to a yellow colour (what we call blonding) and thin (watery) texture. This is the indicator to stop the shot. It occurs generally between 20 to 30 mls in volume.

Watch for this colour change, as this indicates all the best flavours have been extracted from your coffee, any flavours and textures extracted into the cup when this colour change occurs are negative (bitter). Quality will be far better controlled by watching the extraction and its indicators, rather than focusing on volumes and times.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by 66797E7D7462797E65707D7E6774110 link=1282567325/10#10 date=1283749848
                        Generally speaking, if you are using time and volume to define your shots, then the time begins from the point at which you press your extraction button. The industry standard is 25-30 ml in 25-30 seconds. So, using an 18 gram basket, a voulume of 40 ml in 25 seconds is pretty good.

As you become more familiar with extracting your shots, you will inevitably find that these volumes and time guidelines are very broad, and the true indicator of quality while extracting, and correct rate of flow is visual.

So here are some visual indicators to assist you also-

1) Infusion- approx 5-10 seconds before your shot appears from the spouts.

2) Colour- dark chocolate, dark caramels etc.

3)Even from both spouts- indicator of even tamping action.

4)Texture- Thick, heavy, viscous. Should begin dripping, then even out into an extraction from both spouts. Pouring directly downward from the spouts.

5)Colour change- the colour of your shot will change from the dark colours and thick textures, to a yellow colour (what we call blonding) and thin (watery) texture. This is the indicator to stop the shot. It occurs generally between 20 to 30 mls in volume.

Watch for this colour change, as this indicates all the best flavours have been extracted from your coffee, any flavours and textures extracted into the cup when this colour change occurs are negative (bitter). Quality will be far better controlled by watching the extraction and its indicators, rather than focusing on volumes and times.

Enjoy!  
                        First post  

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Comment

Working...
                        X