Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACF cups Vs. Nuova Point cups...

Hey Guys,

First post and its a cracker! Im so confused about cups, cups, cups...

We are in the process of purchasing a cafe and intend to roast our own beans on site... more on this later, however I have got myself in a pickle regarding cups.

I have been in touch with Nuove ain Italy and theyre happy to ship to Aus, but minimum order quantity is 500 units. Im OK with this! No worries right? But it is a decent out lay.

So then I discover these ACF cups... They look good, I used them at St. Ali... They feel good, great! So I contact the distributor and get a price... Pretty bloody pricy!! But minimum order in 12 of each!!!

My dilemma is this: WHAT DO I DO??? Im pulling my hair out over this minor issue... But Im stuck!

HELP!!!

Thanks.

Steve & Jill

Re: ACF cups Vs. Nuova Point cups...

Hi Steve and welcome.

NP are gorgeous cups (if somewhat brittle).

A couple of years ago, Dennis purchased a batch and then on-sold quite a few here. I was lucky enough to grab some and would happily get some more too. I have no doubt that a legion of CSers would be happy to get in on a bulk buy with you (please check with Andy first) and help you reach a target.

The gotcha was that like a whole heap of other stuff, they travelled the world safely, only to be trashed by Aussie post with quite a few breakages. I guess that this could be overcome with some big, soft packaging.

Good luck and congrats on the new venture.

2mcm

Comment

I dont know if there is a difference in quality but if you got 500 units from Nuove you can sell the quantity you dont require in your cafe, on fleabay, on here etc etc.

Also Im not sure when your opening your cafe, but ordering 500 cups from the otherside of the planet is going to take time to deliver. Your ACF distributor might have stock in Australia if your in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by 510E16000B000C050506060E020D630 link=1283987892/1#1 date=1283988519
        The gotcha was that like a whole heap of other stuff, they travelled the world safely, only to be trashed by Aussie post with quite a few breakages.
        And as I recall the credit from the manufacturer for the breakages was not given immediately, rather they said they would credit the next order. Even though they knew that the purchase was a one off.

Java "Think carefully!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi Steve and Jill

I was the importer of the now notorious though nice nuova point cups.

From my experience, some words of advice...

a) They are nice cups and if you decided to go ahead, likely to be intact - mine were.  It was AU Post who were reckless when sending these to fellow purchasers here in AU.

b) I ordered a pallet and although the purchase arrived intact, NP sent the wrong number of the variety ordered.  Not due to poor communication as I speak Italian, but rather that they seemed to think near enough was good enough.  Their response was that they would send the right cups next time.

c) They may not seem expensive, but add freight, duties, etc. and the pallet I ordered cost around $2k.  If you dont need $2k worth of cups then I dont think its a good option.

In your vicinity, Veneziano stock ACF cups and may be able to help with the amount you need.  Alternatively, a good catering supply outlet are likely to have a selection of suitable crockery.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by 47666D6D6A70030 link=1283987892/4#4 date=1284009585
            I ordered a pallet and although the purchase arrived intact, NP sent the wrong number of the variety ordered.Not due to poor communication as I speak Italian, but rather that they seemed to think near enough was good enough.Their response was that they would send the right cups next time.
            Aaaaahhhhh.....Thats what the problem was! I knew there was an issue with them saying theyd make it all good on the next, non-existent, order/delivery!

Java "Gotta love good info!" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5B7A7171766C1F0 link=1283987892/4#4 date=1284009585
              I ordered a pallet and although the purchase arrived intact, NP sent the wrong number of the variety ordered.  Not due to poor communication as I speak Italian, but rather that they seemed to think near enough was good enough.  Their response was that they would send the right cups next time.
              I want to use that. So let me get this straight, for my business its:
              "Sorry I stuffed up your therapy, Ill get it right next breakdown"? ;D

Yeah, right.

Greg

Comment

Welcome Steve and Jill.

There are a number of quality Italian manufacturers of cups.

Ive had  a lot of experience with ACF over the years, and less experience with Nuova Point. From my own experience I would go the ACF. My opinion is they are more sturdy & long lasting.

Others opinions may differ, and I welcome their experience & opinion from a commercial use viewpoint as this is what you are seeking.

You are going into the cafe business. If so, why needlessly import 500 cups from Italy?

Importing stuff on a commercial basis is for professional importers. Leave it to them, dont tie up your valuable working capital ordering many times more stock than you need in the short term, pay the ransom & buy the small quantites that you need from time to time from someone here that does it for a living. Let them worry about all the ins and outs that occur & costs that are incurred when importing anything in commercial quantites.

Hope this helps,
                Attilio
                very first CS site sponsor.

Comment

hi Steve n Jill,

just giving my opinion on this matter. which im kind of in the middle of the similar problem. been trying to source a cup for my brothers cafe back in jakarta, since what we have there are pretty crap and plain white.

i think a lot of the input from the others are very valuable and makes a lot of sense.

we dont really consider the Nuova Point cups but i did have a look at the ACF cups. i handled one before and i think its great.

our current consideration is the ACF and the cups that i use at home personally are incasa cups, they come in brown/black/red/lime green. espresso and cappucino size (190-200ml) with saucers but they only have mugs (not sure with size) without saucers. i ordered mine through one of our sponsors CoffeeCraft.

pricing wise i think its cheaper than the ACFs, but i dont think they sell just saucers and it will be problematic for the latte/flat white size cups, since they only sell the mug size.

i say quality wise the incasa is good, pretty thick and nicely finished. not sure bout durability, since we havent used it in the cafe yet only home use.

just to add more options (sorry if this confuses you) another consideration was the rockingham cups i believe our sponsor DiBartoli sells them, havent bought one yet. but i did have a look at a retailer here in perth, looks good, feels good. colour wise its got more choices (got orange, blue, and the normal ones). but handle wise tis bit smaller than the incasa, so people with a larger finger might find it harder to slip in the handle.

anyways let us know what you decide on doing

Comment

ACF > NP in cafe environment.

ACF can take punishment in a cafe, NPs are brittle little things. This is coming from over 4 years experience using ACF and NP in various cafes.

Comment

Working...
                    X