Paper cups, I hate em.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper cups, I hate em.

One of my pet hates, cafes that have replaced ceramic cups with foam or paper, I dislike drinking from em with a passion.
    I realise there is no other option for take away, however if Im paying $3.50 for a cuppa to drink in the cafe I still like it served in a ceramic cup, am I alone in this or do others feel the same. :-/

Re: Paper cups, I hate em.

I totally agree!! You would think that with the general trend toward ecosustainability that keeping reusable cups in circulation would give them extra points...

but for some nutso reason it is deemed that the paper option is the way to go?!? Maybe this works for people who change their mind and have to leave the cafe half way through a cup? but i doubt thats very often ehhe

Comment

I wouldnt drink there.

Comment

Originally posted by 506C716A606176636B60040 link=1284028704/2#2 date=1284035366
        I wouldnt drink there.
        me either

Comment

Have you considered that theyre using paper cups in order to cut down on their so called "Trade Waste" going down the council sewerage system?

Its an issue that is coming up in pretty much every location and its something that is going to cost hospitality thousands of dollars and all in the name of councils collecting more money for what is ostensibly biodegradable waste. Dont get me started on this issue... : as its IMHO another money grab by the water authorities...domestic households put worse chemicals down their drains than what most cafes would...ergh...like I said...dont get me started!

But then again, theyre probably getting slugged with just as much garbage collection fees, so it probably wouldnt matter... :

Comment

Originally posted by 2E3E3232293C023A3C315D0 link=1284028704/4#4 date=1284037854
            Have you considered that theyre using paper cups in order to cut down on their so called "Trade Waste" going down the council sewerage system?
            Its late; I dont understand.
            Please explain. :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 0B372A313B3A2D38303B5F0 link=1284028704/5#5 date=1284037985
              Its late; I dont understand.
              Please explain. :-?
              yea me to
              If customers have coffee in disposable cups and leave some liquid one would still need to pour the content down the sink

Unless the paper cup goes in the bin liquid and all

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 20303C3C27320C34323F530 link=1284028704/4#4 date=1284037854
                "Trade Waste" going down the council sewerage system?
                I may be incorrect but I think this may also include the greywater from washing up the cups with detergent and the likes?

Comment

Hi all

Drinking espresso from a paper cup - no thanks.
                  In some places this can happen in the late afternoon when the "washer uppers" have gone and they are soon to close - they dont want to use the ceramic cups. If I dont see any ceramic cups I ask. If they reply that they only have paper I politely explain that an espresso cant be enjoyed from a paper cup and I leave. They lose the sale of my espresso and the cake that I would have bought too :-)

Oh there is one worst thing - espresso in a large paper takeaway container :-)

Mike

Comment

In South Australia (where I assume Jon was given a paper cup) SA Water have a new policy that any new cafe using more than 50 cups a day needs a 1000 litre grease trap.... at a cost of $16,000+ to install.

Worse case scenario is additional extensive plumbing work to get it in the ground and connected to the existing setup which could add an additional $30,000

**shudder**

Comment

Originally posted by 4F606A770E0 link=1284028704/9#9 date=1284040506

**shudder**
                      I couldnt agree more thats a horrific expense and inconvenience all for the sake of red tape because the government wants to pretend theyre doing something about the environment :s

Comment

If its the same there as it is around here Trade Waste is measured by how much water is consumed. Not how much is poured down the trap as there is no meter on the trap, only on the incoming water line. There are two charges for water. Water used, and a sewage charge for cleaning the used water. However much clean water you used is what you get billed for for sewage treatment. Ergo if you wash your cups you get double billed for that water. And all this is on top of any grease trap requirement as explained by Andy!

Around here they now also charge you for the rain that runs off your property! Yup! Its yet another fee on the water bill and is used for storm sewer (ie Street runoff sewers) manintenance. All so the politicians can say they didnt raise taxes. "Oh no! Thats not a new tax. Thats a fee!" And the difference is?!?!

Java "Dont ya love politicians?!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 5E717B661F0 link=1284028704/9#9 date=1284040506
                          In South Australia (where I assume Jon was given a paper cup) SA Water have a new policy that any new cafe using more than 50 cups a day needs a 1000 litre grease trap.... at a cost of $16,000+ to install.

Worse case scenario is additional extensive plumbing work to get it in the ground and connected to the existing setup which could add an additional $30,000

**shudder**
                          This is what is now being forced upon us here. There is a monthly fee for the so called "collection" of what is in the trap and that is about 500 dollars. Then there is the regular monthly council fees. In actual fact, wed be better off installing our own septic system and not pumping into the council one at all.

It is ridiculous from the point of view that our so called "trade waste" is more biodegradable than most households, most of whom are happily pouring "anti bacterial" products down their sinks etc. (will someone please get onto stopping that practice!?) In our workplace, it is food scraps and soap, which I thought were biodegradable, going down the sink and even then we manage that as well. (ie scraping plates etc into the bin)

I would also like to point out that our council sewerage system has a huge run off where the excess water just goes into a swamp and sits there...evaporating off into the sky in the hotter months...a group from the community tried a couple of years ago to convince council to harvest the thousands of megalitres of water to be used to grow crops and benefit the local school communities but no...council wasnt interested. See, it really is easier to get money than spend it in govt land... :

Mike, if you turn up at my coffee machine at 5 to 5pm...chances will be high youll be leaving, as I will only serve a coffee in a takeaway then as at 5pm were shutting and Im not hanging around to watch you drink your coffee...Sorry.    (seeing as I only get paid to work till 5pm, not 10 or 15 after...) (losing one customer at 5pm after a big day is no big deal either...ask what the care factor would be if you like... ;D)

Comment

Also in some places due to the drought cups, glasses were banned to save water from washing them. In Goulburn the Pubs and clubs were forced to serve tap / draught beers in disposable plastic glasses to save water as they were almost out of water at one stage.

Comment

What
                              Originally posted by 704C455D48290 link=1284028704/0#0 date=1284028704
                              One of my pet hates, cafes that have replaced ceramic cups with foam or paper, I dislike drinking from em with a passion.
                              What type of paper cup, Jon?

If its the cheap and nasty stuff, id agree, but the triple-wall ridged cups are pretty damn good and i have no problem drinking from them.

Mind you, if i, like you, were offered one when eating in, if you will, id walk straight out.

Comment

Working...
                              X