Tampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampers

Ive gone mad of late. Ive started roasting, and now Ive gone and purchased a Pullman Tamper. Looks great. But.....

How can I explain this to my wife. "We already have a Tamper" > (Gulp, look sheepish) What should my reply be.

Please help.

Mr D

Re: Tampers

Darling....

You already had a dress/shoes/perfume etc - and you needed a new "better one"

Well guess what......... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good luck (is your life insurance paid up?)

Comment

Ok should have asked this before hand, but does the tamper make any difference to the coffee. Im hoping the answer is yes.

Could be the opening to my argument.

Comment

Difference....

Yep HUGE!!!

My wife (who is a very fussy latte drinker) thought the first glass I made for her with Gregs tamper was with a new bean - much smoother and sweeter.

You will also find pour time will increase a little for a given grind ....

The puck is being more evenly compressed - no channelling - hence the above effects.

See:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1161240704/75#75

and the posts below for some info - including a comparison test which I did.

Comment

Yep - what JavaB said.

What sort of tamper did you already have?
          Was it the crappy plastic, non fitting thing?

Anyway, there is a reason Greg has sold over 1000 of his tampers. Theyre bloody great!

A properly fitting, good quality, stainless steel tamper such as the Pullman will make a great difference to your shots. Also, I found it really helped get me into a good, repeatable routine for making my coffee.

When I started out on the snob path, I saw a number of posts/articles etc. extolling the virtues of a good tamper.
          Whilst searching for one to buy, I came across Gregs website. I read a lot of the testimonials there and thought that a lot of people seemed to be saying similar things - basically "You wont believe what a difference it will make". They were right. And it looks great too!

Comment

I had an aftermarket tamper, which was an upgrade to the plastic thing you get with most machines. It wasnt a proper fit. Had about 1.5 - 2 mm play all round.

So with what everyone is saying the Pullman should be a huge improvement. Cant wait to get it home and try it out tonight.

Comment

I had similar problem when I ordered mine very recently.
              the trick/my trick was to ask for her opinion which tamper handle looks better than order that one
              then show her all the good review from all the good people here
              And of course after that give her the best coffee with the new tamper.
              Unfortunately I cant do that since my wifes expecting our 2nd baby

and yes, it DOES make a different - at least making the tamping process a lot quicker because you only need to tamp once no need to move north-south-east-west with the tamping

Oh, could also mention youre going to put the old tamper on evilbay

Comment

Honey,

it was either a new machine or a new tamper, because it just wasnt working for me. The Giotto was $2500, and the tamper $XX.

Oh, and I need a new golf driver too. If I hit the ball further, I dont have to hit it as often, and will therefore be home earlier after a game of golf.

Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy link=1166066220/0#5 date=1166072331
                  I had an aftermarket tamper, which was an upgrade to the plastic thing you get with most machines. It wasnt a proper fit. Had about 1.5 - 2 mm play all round.

You will notice a huge difference for sure.... I only had about 0.2 to 0.3mm play all round and the difference was incredible.... so with your difference

Comment

I think we need a new thread titled "Justifications 101" that has a list of standard jutifications and excuses that can be used by a CS to obtain purchasing approval for new espresso equipment.

I think if you say that "It was on sale, I saved $XX"..(even though it wasnt) she may see the justification in that. I get that one at least once a week ;D

or

"The kids got new shoes, so I got a new tamper"

or

"Its my Xmas present to me"

Comment

Just remember "it is always easier to seek forgiveness than ask for permission"

Comment

Say nothing, let your coffee do the the talking. Tell her after shes had her first shot from the new tamper, it will justify itself. The cost of a Pullman is a small price to pay for perfection.

Comment

I justified my new tamper to my wife by saying that it doubled as a butt plug...

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1166066220/0#12 date=1166087679
                            I justified my new tamper to my wife by saying that it doubled as a butt plug...
                            Im not going to your place for a coffee ;D ;D ;D

Comment

You wouldnt be the first one to say that my coffee tastes like s***  ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X