Double shot espresso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double shot espresso

When a customer asks for a takeaway double shot espresso, and you have a very small takeaway cup, what is the correct method to use? Do you pour one single shot on top of another and risk ruining the crema, or do you put the double filter basket in the single group handle and then they dont get as much a double shot but better crema. Anyone have the answer?

Re: Double shot espresso

I dont understand why they wouldnt get a double shot if you use the double basket.

From what youve written it looks like your single basket is giving 30 ml and your double basket is giving less than 60ml.

Comment

Not sure why anyone would really want to takeaway an Espresso anyway. When I am doing takeaways I still have ceramic espresso cups as the shots stay hotter and most are happy to stand at the bench or stop for a minute to drink it.

As to method then yes to double basket for a double shot volume BUT. Current trend in Melbourne and Sydney is some cases is to still pour really short (tiny Ristretto) on volume rather than the traditional 25-30ml x 2 in the double case, the theory is the shot is sweeter or better in some way. Not sure but it seems to have become a fashion pour rather than for taste reasons at this volume. Just what works best in the cup with your gear and your beans is a sip it and see thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4858480F0 link=1289950365/0#0 date=1289950365
        or do you put the double filter basket in the single group handle and then they dont get as much a double shot but better crema
        Why would they get less just because the portafilter has one spout instead of two?

I really only get coffee at coffeesnob rated cafes and I dont think I have seen any of them use a single basket, I have seen doubles with one "stream" poured to waste though.

Comment

Ok thanks people, this gives me more of an idea what others are doing. My double basket holds one less pull of the grinder to fill it for a double shot than 2 x single baskets for some reason, must be a bit shallow.

Comment

Another suggestion in this case might be to ask which they would prefer - especially if its a regular customer

If they dont have a preference then I guess double volume would stay warmer for a bit longer but not be as sweet.

Comment

You may be using a triple basket (21g) for doubles, and double (14g) for singles, assuming this is in a cafe? Depends on what the dose is set to on the drinder (how much coffee per click).

Comment

Possibly you have a large single basket and normal size double basket.  This may be due to it being easier to get a large single basket to give decent single shots, compared to the relative ease that a double basket can give decent double shots.

And in answer to the original question, if a customer wanted a double shot anything, I would expect to use the double basket, it would be quicker, easier and generally better quality.

Comment

If I was pouring a double shot espresso, Id be pulling two separate shots from one double basket. Ive not seen an issue with crema being dissipated this way. Tell me Im wrong but I feel that if I have a customer who wants such a drink, then Im going to do my best to make it the best one they have ever had. We never ever use a single basket in our machine, I wouldnt even bother. Doubles or even triples all the way here. No wonder my customers keep coming back...

If your beans are fresh, the grind is correct and your dosing is right, then there is no reason why crema should dissipate with a second shot being poured into the first espresso.

Comment

I like the cut of your jib Scoota Gal. Keeping customers happy is what its all about! I just wish more businesses treated people like that

Comment

Double basket (18-21 grams) in a double group handle (2 spouts). Extract as much as you can until the shot blondes, then stop it. All cafe espresso cups, either ceramic or 6oz take aways should fit under and capture both spouts from a double group handle, though you may have to lift the cup up close to the spouts.

Comment

Problem solvered!! Discovered that the small cup, which is a 4oz, will actually fit under the double spout if I lift it up.  I hadnt had a order for a double  before and it was one of my staff who asked me later what was the correct way.  Being a rural area, unfortunately a lot of our customers dont share my obsession with good coffee, all they want is a cremated cappuccino with lots of "fluff" and theyre happy!!!
                        Not good for stretching your creativity, and more than a tad frustrating to have to serve up.

Comment

Originally posted by 696C7C6C2B0 link=1289950365/11#11 date=1290061370
                          Not good for stretching your creativity, and more than a tad frustrating to have to serve up.
                          Sounds like youve got some edumaction ahead of you there JennaRose....

Mal.

Comment

Yes, my town could do with a shake up! I finally taught myself to pour a half decent rosetta a few months ago and I get such a buzz from serving it to people and seeing their reactions. Gives me a real high even caffeine cant give!!! Then I nearly cry if they stir it like their arm is an extension of an electric drill! Oh, why bother!! :
                            No seriously, it really is worth the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by 6067636C646E7B6B6C65020 link=1289950365/2#2 date=1289951375
                              As to method then yes to double basket for a double shot volume BUT. Current trend in Melbourne and Sydney is some cases is to still pour really short (tiny Ristretto) on volume rather than the traditional 25-30ml x 2 in the double case, the theory is the shot is sweeter or better in some way. Not sure but it seems to have become a fashion pour rather than for taste reasons at this volume. Just what works best in the cup with your gear and your beans is a sip it and see thing.  
                              This annoys me so much, you ask for a double and you still only get 20mls. I asked for an espresso! I like the taste of Espresso! I did not want a Ristreto! I ordered and payed for 50-60ml of liquid! If I can pour a double shot this long on my Silvia without blonding then Im 100% sure you are doing it wrong if you can not manage it on your Synesso with a Robur combination.

3rd wave coffee should give me confidence to leave my own coffee machine at home, instead Im faced with being "educated" every time I go near one of these establishments.

Sorry, that quickly spiralled into a rant. I didnt realise hw much this upset me till now. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X