Making a syrup from cocoa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a syrup from cocoa?

What ideas do people have for making a syrup out of the cocoas from BeanBay.

I have both cocoas so ideas for both would be great.

I find that a syrup blends easier than starting from a powder so would like to make up some syrups that can just sit in the fridge until I need them.

Re: Making a syrup from cocoa?

I put one part cocoa powder to two parts sugar into a blender with a glass jug. I then put in hot water to the viscosity that I am after. I find it needs to be quite watery when warm as when it cools, it thickens.
    The double dutch thickens the most, probably due to its higher fat content.

Comment

I reckon that the best syrups have all been boiled and then cooled for storage.

Greg

Comment

and the recipe for that would be ???

Comment

I do 1kg cocoa to 1.5 cups of boiling water from memory.

Comment

I like my chocolate syrup dark and not too sweet--about the same as a 60% dark chocolate. I just do it by eye--at a guess it would be 1.5 part dutch cocoa, 1 part sugar (by volume) and enough water to make a syrup. Boil, cool, indulge. (Adjust to your own taste, and desired thickness.)

If Im putting it on ice cream Ill add 30 ml of Cointreau to a cup of syrup--after cooling but before the fridge.

Greg

Comment

Thank you everyone

Comment

At home we use a 1lt Decor sauce squeezy bottle which lives in the fridge (for a month or more without any grief)

50% cocoa, 50% sugar and enough hot water to make a honey type thickness.
                As Bassway said, it will thicken so experiment to get what suits you the best)

As a rule, kids prefer the commercial ratio of 2 parts sugar to 1 part cocoa, adults tend to prefer 50/50 or even the 60/40 that Greg suggested above.

The real beauty of buying 100% pure cocoa is you get the choice and the chance to make the perfect blend without all the nasty addititives.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                X