Oprahs Aussie Guest Reporter a CoffeeSLob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprahs Aussie Guest Reporter a CoffeeSLob

Carrie Bickmore from the 7pm Project has disgraced herself journalistically in her cultural piece about Australia for Oprah and her entourage:

"In Australia, McDonalds are called Maccas. Theyre hip hangouts where people sip gourmet coffees in the McCafes and dine from a menu exclusive to Australia."

If anyone aboard the Plane has any sense, theyll parachute out now if this is to be an Aussie culinary highlight for their tour.

How do we get to Oprah so she gets to drink real coffee???

Re: Oprahs Aussie Guest Reporter a CoffeeSLob

Originally posted by 76667160602627242C2327140 link=1291637343/0#0 date=1291637343
    Pay more than Mc Cafe did?

:

Comment

Looks like Tens been caught out:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/12/...ac-attack.html

Im so glad i dont watch The 7pm Project and have never seen an episode of Oprah.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C7379641D0 link=1291637343/1#1 date=1291640617
        Originally posted by 76667160602627242C2327140 link=1291637343/0#0 date=1291637343
        Pay more than Mc Cafe did?

:
        I cant believe that in a Tall Poppy" society like Australia the Mc Cafe brand hasnt damaged itself with this shameless, obvious and appallingly scripted advertorial. What is even more galling is the fact that in this country there is a fantastic Coffee Culture that rivals anywhere in the world and Mc Cafe is not a part of that Culture.

Why arent they beating a path to Andys, or frankly any number of wonderful artisans doors at least in a consultative fashion instead of attempting to saturate the market with an inferior product. It wont be profitable in the long run and who wants written on their corporate tombstone "Proudly acknowledged that everybody knew our product was sh!t."

Comment

I DO watch the 7pm Project and I honestly think this is going to have a negative impact on the show because the one thing the show sells on is its honest criticism of todays current news, as opposed to just telling the news.

Viewers like me will wonder now if behind all that jest, whether in the past Ten had been sponsored to sell certain view points including certain political point of views.

Comment

Originally posted by 3323342525636261696662510 link=1291637343/3#3 date=1291672197

I cant believe that in a Tall Poppy" society like Australia the Mc Cafebrand hasnt damaged itself with this shameless, obvious and appallingly scripted advertorial.What is even more galling is the fact that in this country there is a fantastic Coffee Culture that rivals anywhere in the world and Mc Cafe is not a part of that Culture.
            We see McCafe with a very narrow mind as CSs. To the average joe the McCafe coffees are exactly what they are after. They are reliable and almost always taste the same, for granny and the other uneducated drinkers it is scorching hot like a cuppa should be and the price is right. Its been some time since ive had a mccafe coffee but I recall they were better than 50% of the cafes out there and certainly better than most of the chains in the shopping centers which unfortunately is probably where the standard is set for a lot of people.

Mcdonalds are very good at keeping the majority happy so they will continue to make money.

Comment

Its cash for coments pure and simple. There was a very recent article in the press of several related high end coffee shops with a common owner that smacked of that too all no mention of anyone elses brand in the "article". Hate to say it but welcome to the modern world of pseudo news and backdoor marketing.

Comment

surely you intelligent, educated people of CS would not be so naive not to realise that most things on telly are "advertorials" or paid for promotion. Every time you see a presenter on Sunrise sipping a coffee, its out of a "McCafe" branded mug. Every time you see someone on your favourite soap opera drinking a soft drink, the "coke" label is always perfectly positioned towards the camera.

I know its not great, but its not new, its not unique and happens all the time.

Comment

It seems Oprah was in Earlwood yesterday for an Aussie BBQ with some locals.

Im a bit miffed she didnt drop in for a decent coffee.

I could have cracked open the bag of Mountain Top I have, for the full Aussie cup of coffee experience.

My mum lives in Earlwood and just happened to be visiting me (5 minutes down the road) for a coffee at about that time.

Its not like mums not used to visiting royalty, as when her mother was alive, Gough Whitlam dropped in to visit.

What is it about Earlwood and royalty?
                  Is it the name?
                  Earlwood.

Comment

I think that the Sydney Opera house is being renamed The Oprah House for the next few days. She, and her croud, has already walked all over our bridge.

I was brewing the coffee at an Aussie BBQ yesterday. No sign of Oprah.

As to the quality of some brand name coffee. As most people drink instant at home, any espresso would taste good to them.

Barry

Comment

A Current Affair and Today Tonight have been ramming it down our throats for years, why would channel ten be any different.  The only offense I take is that they think I am dumb enough to buy it.  Not to mention the newspapers. And if anyone cared what I said I would even get on tv and tell everyone vittoria is coffee and that living, or maybe nesspresso, hell I would even sit round and pretend to bond with my kids over nescafe blend 43.

Comment

I suppose the majority of coffee sold keeps the majority of consumers happy.

could they get something better?

Almost certainly

however the fact they dont suggests for some reason the consumer in question doesnt want better.

after all if you consider the food at Maccas if what does it score highly for?

but they still sell a lot of it.

Comment

I have actually had a very good coffee or two from one particular McD near the Vic Market. Outstanding in fact from a mature and experienced barista. It was a while ago now though.

From other franchises the product has been crap :-X. Or from another perspective - a good product for paint stripping.

And so to stay on topic...

Whos Oprah?

Comment

Working...
                          X