Holiday coffee experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday coffee experiences

Having been away from my setup for a week or so I have a new appreciation for those who make coffee at home. Most of my experience is with a professional setup ie everything designed properly, high volumes, everything ready to go. I stayed with the inlaws who have a very good setup (sunbeam cafe series and compac grinder) and I came to appreciate how messy coffee is and why most people dont chase the god shot. Its just too hard, there was little bench space so things are not in ideal spots, coffee grinds get in everywhere so it is a pain to clean up and despite the cost of the sunbeam it is a difficult matter to get a really good coffee out of it. I was left thinking if I had the opportunity to put a coffee machine into the kitchen would I? Is it worth the hassle? Should I just invest in a doserless grinder and a pourover and put the remaining money into coffee subscriptions for the next 10 years? Not sure I have answered these questions yet but I was surprised that they came up as I have always dreamt of bling on the bench.

If you have had any moments of clarity while being away I would love to hear.

Brett

Re: Holiday coffee experiences

My moments of clarity are usually something like "Why did I leave home? This coffee is ****".

Comment

Originally posted by 0D312C373D3C2B3E363D590 link=1294025479/1#1 date=1294026420
      My moments of clarity are usually something like "Why did I leave home? This coffee is ****".
      So true and it usually cost me Parking and then the Cost of teh crap coffee to boot...

Might have well just left $10 in a donation box some where......

Comment

Going to the inlaws always reaffirms the quest for decent coffee.
        They drink international roast and aparently a really good coffee "riva"

Just as well we always pack the blade grinder and electric espresso pot, not the same as the giotto but far better than instant.

The inlaws (in their 70s) shake their heads and laugh that i go through all the effort as instant is sooo much better aparently :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 64696A64060 link=1294025479/3#3 date=1294035090
          instant is sooo much better aparently
          Yikes. I only had instant when I went on holidays over the break, and I can deal with it. I can accept people saying they cant be bothered, and will make the sacrifice for instant, but Ive never heard anyone ever say that instant is better than espresso.

Comment

Im with you on that Bolb. Got to my parents place in Perth over XMAS and gold Moccona was on offer.  I promptly suggested we head to the Swan Valley, buy some beans and bought mum an Aeropress with the promise of sending her freshly roasted beans in the future.  She hasnt looked back, but dad wonders what all the fuss is about especially considering it takes so long to make a coffee with an Aeropress  :

Comment

Originally posted by 437463636062746D6D646F30010 link=1294025479/5#5 date=1294036807
              it takes so long to make a coffee with an Aeropress
              People are always in a hurry these days. What ever happened to doing something for the reward of the experience at the end?

Im still trying to convince my partner to get a stove top kettle rather than another horrid plug in appliance, but she reckons it will take too long to boil.

Comment

Originally posted by 76696B71687D6A6B7C040 link=1294025479/6#6 date=1294037436
                Im still trying to convince my partner to get a stove top kettle rather than another horrid plug in appliance, but she reckons it will take too long to boil.
                Have only ever used a stove-top kettle and with enough water for a couple of cuppas, only takes just over a minute on our gas stove top....

Mal.

Comment

My closest decent coffee out is 15 minutes by car.

I can make one at home in 3-4 minutes, its usually as good as the out coffee, I get it exactly the way I like it, and I can take it the computer, the good book and the stereo, or whatever.

AFAIC thats no choice at all. Home all the way.

Greg

Comment

After finding my Grans kilo block of freshly ground coffee :P in the bottom of the chest freezer with a thick coating of ice (because, evidently it keeps it fresh for much longer :-/) I suggested gently that there is a general thinking that pre ground coffee is best kept at room temp & used very quickly- not in the chest freezer for several years. My suggestion was met, with I may read the literature when Im dead look.
                    Needless to say, the Grindripper was used multiple times a day 8-)

Comment

I was provisioned with a choppy grinder  > a jug and a plunger for  our stay with the inlaws in Townsville. It was a grand setup given they dont drink tea, coffee or any alcohol  :-/ . Thank god for Dominion Roastery in the CBD and my own dear Mum in the next suburb who found a bottle of Chivas (dont scoff Scotch snobs till youve tried the house juice). The horrible choppy didnt do too badly given the quality of the beans and when it all got a bit too much (missing my own gear) the Scotch took the edge off the pain. Darn it, I was so desperate for coffee
                      I would have ground those fresh roasts between two spoons and strained the crunchy bits through my teeth!  Goes to show that the most important ingredient in coffee is.. urm... coffee (fresh and well roasted).

Comment

Went to a deli style place that has been ok in the past. Got a sadist on the machine that morning! Both coffees were so hot that they were undrinkable for 5 minutes. .  Had to feel sorry for the milk.
                        Curse t/a coffee and being too far from the place to go back and ask what the hell they were thinking!
                        To make matters worse the best cafe in town is shut for a month....... >

Comment

Im just about to head off to Thailand and India for a few weeks holidays. Contemplating taking a kg bag of something nice from my stash to drink as breakfast coffee each day. Maybe a hand grinder and a plunger too (?)

Cant bear to drink weeks of coffee from the hotels fully auto again as it grinds up stale beans and gushes out already blonded from start to finish Or the dried rotten milk scum on the little 5mm steam arm that never gets cleaned. mmmmm

Comment

Hand grinder and Aeropress is my suggestion.
                            Aeropress is plastic and sturdy.

Comment

The grindripper worked well for us, nice & compact

Comment

Working...
                              X