Arabica or Robusta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabica or Robusta?

Hi, I have a few coffee trees growing in my backyard but Im not sure if they are Arabica or Robusta. Im not sure where it originally came from but was given to me from my Italian ancestors. Im not sure if it came from Italy though.

Ive read lots of web pages about the differences but Im still not sure.

Heres some pics from one of the smaller trees. Can anyone tell if its arabica or robusta?

Re: Arabica or Robusta?

Nice pix Green,

Theyre arabica. All robusta plants I have seen have much larger leaves and the beans confirm it.

Plenty of other differences as well.

2mcm

Comment

Ok, i thought the beans looked like arabica beans. But I read that arabica bean fall from the tree after they are ripe. My beans dont seem to fall??

Comment

An Arabica bean is flatter and more elongated; in addition, and the furrow on its flat surface is elongated. It is relatively deep green in color before roasting, sometimes with a bluish tinge.

The Robusta bean is more convex and roundish. The bean’s furrow is straight, and it is pale green with grey or brownish tinges.
        from http://www.wholelattelove.com/articles/arabica_coffee.cfm

Comment

Im still not convinced either way. These are the things that are confusing me.

1. Beans not falling off after they are ripe. (suggests robusta)

2. Single tree was bearing fruit. Therefore self pollinating. (suggests arabica)

3. Trees bearing fruit at 2-3 years old (suggests robusta)

4. The green beans look very greenish (suggests arabica)

:-/

Comment

Originally posted by 776275757E737162747977717E100 link=1295261024/4#4 date=1295307685
            3.Trees bearing fruit at 2-3 years old (suggests robusta)
            My arabica trees are about 3 years old now and bearing fruit.

Comment

Given that every aspect of the plant anatomy is arabica, its clearly robusta then  :P :

Comment

Working...
              X