Steam Arm Cleaning Brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Arm Cleaning Brush

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAt5vwaSpcc&feature=player_embedded[/media]

As soon as I saw the video a couple of days ago, I wanted one.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1251458192/9#9

My new toy arrived today from site sponsor E61 Espresso Machinery.
    It was too well packed as I couldnt get it open fast enough to try it.
    Seriously though it was packed in a cardboard box and well sealed with tape at all the opening edges.

Inside I found my new wand with a soft brass bristled brush already attached to the steam tip and a piece of silicon tubing slipped over it for protection.
    There was also a small plastic bristled brush and two adapters for the end of the tubing attached to the brushs steam arm.
    One for small and the other for medium/large steam tips.

There was also a selection of silicon tubing pieces to attach to the other end of the adapter and then your machines steam tip.

I was sent 2 of each size: S, M & L.

My Expobar tip needed the large sized tubing so I push the small end of the adaptor into the brushs tubing and the larger end into the large sized silicon tube.

I then pushed the large tube onto my steam arms tip and opened her up. Full steam ahead!!!!

Having already quickly checked if there was anything to clean in the group head (weekly clean is due on Sunday) I was not surprised to see brownish water dripping from the edges of the GH.

My GH is not spotless now as I only gave it a quick test and it has been quite some time since Ive given it a really good scrub.
    However, I can see that regular use of this tool will keep the grime at bay.

I put the soft tip on and cleaned a few splash marks off the machine.
    They vanished like magic.

If my steam arm was on the other side Id surely clean the sink with this thing.

Ooh, almost forgot, E61 included 100G OF E61 PREMIUM ESPRESSO CLEANER as theyd mentioned in their post (see link above).

This cleaning tool was as good as I expected it to be.

One small negative though. It does get HOT.
    Even the thicker part that you hold soon gets too hot to handle.
    I ended up wrapping a small cotton cleaning cloth around it to continue cleaning.
    As my cleaning cloth is small, just the right size and always sitting under my machine, this is not a problem for me.

OVERALL:
    Cleaning has never been this much fun!!!

Re: Steam Arm Cleaning Brush

Good one TG. This gadget caught my interest as a possible must-have.

Comment

Very tempted by one of these. Whats your thoughts on them reaching a second group across for a 2 or 3 group?

I already own some kevlar gloves so the hot hands thing will be fine

Comment

Woh, like it - Ill have to get one to go with my new toy...

Comment

Originally posted by 6067636C646E7B6B6C65020 link=1297995977/2#2 date=1298004574
          Whats your thoughts on them reaching a second group across for a 2 or 3 group?
          I did manage to reach the sink today by pointing the steam wand across the drip tray but couldnt reach the far side of the tap.  ;D

You can answer your own question with a measuring tape.

The tube is about 60cm from adapter to the end of the handle.
          From that point to the brush tip is another 23cm.

My gut feel is that it would be fine for a 2 group and if you have a 2nd steam wand on your 3 group then its not a problem for that either.

Also, if it was still a little short youd just need to replace the short piece of silicon tube that fits over the steam wand with a longer piece.

Comment

60 cm will get me where I need to be from either side wand Should also make cleaning in situ of the drip tray and rack possible between proper cleans.

Now on the shopping list.

Comment

I just wanted to revive this thread as a shout out to Matt at E61 Espresso Machinery.

I bought one of these steam arms when we were at the Brisbane Meet & Greet in March and the thing is a fantastic!

I use it on a weekly basis to clean in and around my group head, baskets and group handle and the amount of coffee oils it gets out of all three is phenomenal (na na nee na nah!) It certainly does the trick and is one of the best little cleaning things Ive ever purchased, even doing around the sink tap on a regular basis.

Much better value for money than the $400 steam cleaner that I bought.

As Thundergod says, it does get very hot, but I do what he does and use the microfibre cloth that lives on my machine to wrap around the wand - I find it only gets really hot when I use it for a protracted amount of time (ie; >1 minute) and then I often just let it rest for a little while, anyway.

So, two thumbs up from me!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers
              Di

Comment

Nice

Very nice!

Comment

Why did I have to see this???? Now I absolutely need/want/got to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by 2F0121031016030C620 link=1297995977/9#9 date=1302931767
                    Why did I have to see this????  Now I absolutely need/want/got to have one.
                    Yoooou candoooooiiiiit...!!

Good post TG

Gary at G

Comment

I just bought one!
                      Oh joy.

Comment

Caved in and bought one. Thanks Gary for giving me the push

Comment

Oh, oh. My gadget addiction just got satisfied!
                          Im glad it was cheap.

Greg

Comment

TGs review and the current $60.00 special deal plus the 100G OF E61 PREMIUM ESPRESSO CLEANER convinced me and an order has been placed.

Anticipate that when it arrives Mrs MeanzBeanz will roll her eyes and say, "more coffee stuff?" :

Comment

Originally posted by 537B7F70645C7B7F70641E0 link=1297995977/14#14 date=1308881086
                              "more coffee stuff?" :
                              To be honest, I see it as a bit of a gimmick, but if you can create a need....

I use microfibre cloth and some steam from my machine. A rinse with a blind is more often than not fine for the group and if done frequently, pretty much makes a brush redundant.

Nevertheless, to each, his own

Comment

Working...
                              X