Bean Storage Spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean Storage Spreadsheet

Does anyone have a bean storage spreadsheet they care to share before i go reinventing the wheel?

I just spent a considerable amount of time searching through the site and also through google and came up with very little.
    The only links i found here on CS were from 2006 and the links werent working for me.

Re: Bean Storage Spreadsheet

Not sure what you mean by a Bean Storage spreadsheet. However I have a workbook that I use which tracks my coffee purchases, coffee roasting and provides a report of my current green bean situation including financially. While its not particularly difficult, it does require a bit of maintenance when you add new beans etc to the various lists to ensure the report stays current, so you will need some Excel expertise to maintain it.

I also track my hottop cleaning and filter changes in the roasting log.

I generally print out the Roasting and Purchasing logs as well as the Green bean status report, and file them on a regular basis.

I too have a Hottop, so the Roasting log is based around that. If its what you are looking for, at least a starting point or something you can adapt for yourself, let me know and Ill post it on the forum.

GrahamK

Comment

Originally posted by 6257444D44486E250 link=1299977613/1#1 date=1299980433
      Not sure what you mean by a Bean Storage spreadsheet. However I have a workbook that I use which tracks my coffee purchases, coffee roasting and provides a report of my current green bean situation including financially. While its not particularly difficult, it does require a bit of maintenance when you add new beans etc to the various lists to ensure the report stays current, so you will need some Excel expertise to maintain it.

I also track my hottop cleaning and filter changes in the roasting log.

I generally print out the Roasting and Purchasing logs as well as the Green bean status report, and file them on a regular basis.

I too have a Hottop, so the Roasting log is based around that. If its what you are looking for, at least a starting point or something you can adapt for yourself, let me know and Ill post it on the forum.

GrahamK
      Sounds good Graham, i would be keen to take a look and adapt for my requirements. Im ok with Excel and have done some VBA in the past also
      Mostly i wanted it just to track bean purchases but having the roasting side also would be a bonus.

Comment

Heres a post about one that many of us have been using for quite a few years now: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1159680974/113#113

Java "Records it all!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Attached is my Excel Workbook. I have cobbled together some rough instructions on the 1st worksheet.

PM me if you need any help with it

Comment

Nice one, cheers Graham!

Comment

Originally posted by 42697E69786061646D080 link=1299977613/3#3 date=1299985057
              Heres a post about one that many of us have been using for quite a few years now: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1159680974/113#113
              That was one of the few i stumbled across earlier, unfortunately i dont have Access with my Office 2007. I did look at the 2010 upgrade some time back but didnt see a need at the time.
              Looking at the screenshots maybe i will reconsider.
              Cheers Javaphile

Java "Records it all!" phile
              technical glitch forced a reboot...

Thanks Java, i did stumble across that one this morning but i dont have Access with my 2007 version of office.
              I had previously not seen a need to upgrade to the 2010 version but may reconsider after seeing the screenshots of the database, even though it looks fairly intense.
              Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 6867786B696F626261600E0 link=1299977613/6#6 date=1300002473
                i dont have Access with my 2007 version of office.
                You might try Open Office. It may very well be able to deal with the db for free.

Yes, it is pretty intense. But you of course dont have to use all its capabilities. Ive been using it for quite a few years now and Ive yet to utilize all of its capabilities. In fact I just found a new one tonight when a screen Id never seen before accidentally got opened as I was formulating a new blend. The current db Im using covers all of my roasts and beans going back 6 years. Nice information to have. As with any other important data, make sure you do regular backups of it in multiple locations!

Java "Back that data up!" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 775C4B5C4D555451583D0 link=1299977613/7#7 date=1300016463
                  You might try Open Office. It may very well be able to deal with the db for free.
                  Found it to work fine with Open Office Java, so worth considering in my opinion. These sorts of tasks are always handled and managed better in a DB anyway.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A6176617068696C65000 link=1299977613/7#7 date=1300016463
                    Originally posted by 6867786B696F626261600E0 link=1299977613/6#6 date=1300002473
                    i dont have Access with my 2007 version of office.

Yes, it is pretty intense. But you of course dont have to use all its capabilities. Ive been using it for quite a few years now and Ive yet to utilize all of its capabilities. In fact I just found a new one tonight when a screen Id never seen before accidentally got opened as I was formulating a new blend. The current db Im using covers all of my roasts and beans going back 6 years. Nice information to have. As with any other important data, make sure you do regular backups of it in multiple locations!

Java "Back that data up!" phile
                    Ahhh forgot about that, nice one Java "good call" phile

Comment

No problems Mark.

However as mentioned :
                      Originally posted by 4B66626E630F0 link=1299977613/8#8 date=1300023523
                      These sorts of tasks are always handled and managed better in a DB anyway
                      If you can get the D/B up and running, its probabaly a better option. I set up the Workbook, because at the time there were a few things the D/B did not provide for me, and a lot I did not intend to use at the time. However after a time the spreadsheets get unwieldy, and need more maintenence.

GrahamK

Comment

Wasnt a criticism Graham, just a personal observation from my own personal experience managing data over many years (in a previous life)....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 163B3F333E520 link=1299977613/11#11 date=1300085493
                          Wasnt a criticism Graham
                          No worries Mal, I did not take it as such, I agree with your observation.  [smiley=wink.gif]

Comment

TS, uve got PM!

Comment

Working...
                            X