coffee hangover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee hangover

This sounds a bit weird but I will relate a story I heard yesterday. A young guy told me he doesnt drink coffee because of a "coffee hangover" he got. Long story short a few double shot lattes as his first "real" coffee experience (bit of a newbie to coffee drinking) and then two days later headaches, lethargy, aggravation amongst other symptoms. I was thinking it was something else completely unrelated causing his symptoms but just wondering if anyone else has even heard of this happening?

Cheers

Brett

Re: coffee hangover

Two days is a bit long. Maybe hes just dehydrated?

Comment

Sounded more than dehydration but anything is possible I suppose.

Comment

Maybe he got hooked on the first couple of drinks and hes suffering withdrawal symptoms ;D.

Comment

Originally posted by 414F424D5A4C4D230 link=1301455982/0#0 date=1301455982
          This sounds a bit weird but I will relate a story I heard yesterday. A young guy told me he doesnt drink coffee because of a "coffee hangover" he got. Long story short a few double shot lattes as his first "real" coffee experience (bit of a newbie to coffee drinking) and then two days later headaches, lethargy, aggravation amongst other symptoms. I was thinking it was something else completely unrelated causing his symptoms but just wondering if anyone else has even heard of this happening?

Cheers

Brett

Maybe he had his coffee spiked :P

Comment

Wow, thats what I call a come down.
            Medically, dependence (leading to an abstinence syndrome) after a couple is not plausible.
            Maybe he got so excited by his coffee experience he got plain worn out!

Comment

I have the opposite symptoms - headaches, lethargy, aggravation - but an espresso fixes it all within a couple of minutes, not two days!

Comment

If I dont have my coffee in the morning or afternoon then I may as well be dead 12 hrs after.
                I get a killer headache, fever (super sweat), nausea but thats due to years of caffine abuse...

I dont hear of too many cases like me.
                Dan.

Comment

Im surprised, this is my first encounter of health issues in this forum. I agree about the dehydration: the worst thing you could do is drink coffee if youre thirsty.
                  I limit intake to 1 or 2 espressos or ristrettos in the morning. If I dont get my dose by 11am, it feels like a steel mesh is gradually shrinking around my skull, and this gets worse until the Panadol is necessary. Having coffee in the afternoon later in the day does not reverse the pain! I gave up coffee a few times because I hated this dependence, but after being brainless and unmotivated for 3 months last time, I went and bought a Silvia and K3, thanks to this forum, and dream along with the theory that the first part of the extraction has all the flavour and not a lot of caffeine.
                  Thanks for the bursts of humour, guys.
                  BioBrian

Comment

I dont think that in the guys case it is fair to blame coffee.

In my own case if I go without coffee I can sometimes get a headache or feel very lethargic, especially if I have been having more coffee than usual on the prior days.

I also have a huge come down after work, because during work I drink a fair amount of coffee both for enjoyment and to test how the coffee is pouring etc. I dont know if it is physical or psychological but when I get home there is a definite drop in energy.

I just dont understand how he could experience those symptoms two days later and it being in relation to the coffee.

Coffee: Definitely can cause those symptoms but in my opinion his would have been caused by something else.

Obviously Im not a medical professional so everything I have said is just based on my experiences and not on scientific knowledge.

If he enjoyed the taste of coffee his first time he could try a good decaf and see if he has the same experience.

Comment

Symptoms two days later doesnt link it to the coffee in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X