Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best water filter to use for a coffee machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best water filter to use for a coffee machine?

I have bought an Olympia Cremina manual lever coffee machine. Does anyone know:
    1. What the best water filter is for a coffee machine? How much do they cost and where can I buy it from?
    2. Do I have to have a plumed in filter, or can it be avoided?
    3. What is the cheapest method I can get away with ie. can I use a Brita water filter jug with boiled water?
    4. Does Reverse Osmosis take out all impurities and scale?

thanks, mike61

Re: What is the best water filter to use for a coffee machine?

Water filtration is a can of worms 

What is the correct water filtration depends heavily on what water you have to start with. anything from a brita Jug up to R/O is the right answer.

The water filtration primer here is a good place to start http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1300415170

I have just recently moved house and the new place has a water tank while the town is on artesian bore 800mg/l water :P Due to the proximity to the coast the tank supply is heavily tainted by salt and personally undrinkable in coffee. Currently using R/O water :-)

So more info needed and welcome to the lever gang too 8-)

Comment

Thanks for that.

It is a brand new coffee machine that I have been researching and waiting for for a long time. I am looking forward to it arriving from the manufacturer in Switzerland (Olympia Express) where it is being built as we write!

It seems pretty unanimous that I should test the tap water with some test strips. I did call the water corp and they gave me a reading for my area of 0.89 to 1.45 millimol/L which I think can be converted into milligrams/L by timesing it by 18 which is the molecular weight of water. If that is correct, which I am a little unsure about, then the water here is actually quite soft 16 to 26 milligrams/L. It kinda sounds too good to be true though.

I have been researching the Brita C150kit. Has anyone heard about it and whether it is any good?

Also, Bombora do two types of filters:

1. Scale inhibitor
      2. Water softener which works on ion exchange
      Does anyone know which one would be better for filtering the most minerals out of water?

thanks, Kratos06

Comment

Originally posted by 292D272C252128332B2B2820362D202321440 link=1301796582/2#2 date=1301998837
        Also, Bombora do two types of filters:

1. Scale inhibitor
           2. Water softener which works on ion exchange
              Does anyone know which one would be better for filtering the most minerals out of water?
        Call and chat to Bombora. They are a sponsor and they will know the best fitout.

Comment

Working...
        X