Blends vs single origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blends vs single origin

Does anyone else prefer single origins over blends?

Maybe its just that I havent developed my taste buds enough but I find that I really dont enjoy drinking a blended coffee.

The blends I am buying are from local companies that roast there in the shop or from their home, so freshly roasted not sitting on the shelves for months types.

I love my single origins

Re: Blends vs single origin

blends for me genuinely, find them more balanced.
    :-?

Comment

Yes... i am a big fan of SOs over blends.

I prefer the tastes of the single origins both good and bad. It makes for and interesting espresso every time i do a new roast.

I have nothing against blending. I just dont have the time to spend creating a unique blend as i already have plenty of unique SOs i can try

Comment

I like some blends, but generally for myself, only for very specific reasons - Im a big fan of Ethiopian/Indonesian blend, because they just go so well together.

I generally prefer SOs though as it feels to me like a bit more of a "journey" in the cup.

The point of "balance" in blends is certainly what blends are trying to achieve, but for me, this defeats the purpose of getting the unique characteristics of each of the quality beans that I get from Beanbay.

Comment

I seriously thought I was nuts for a while there

I lot of people I know seem to love the coffees they drink but I really dont like them, when I get them to try the SOs, they think that they are too strong and often bitter, bitter I have no idea what they are talking about as I cant taste bitter in same cup and I can taste bitter when it is

Oh well Ill be selfish and keep my beans to myself ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 263D342530263D3C33213027550 link=1302152408/4#4 date=1302161201
            Oh well Ill be selfish and keep my beans to myself 
            I had a steep learning curve trying to roast for others, and have developed some specific blends for them to start on, which generally works well, and while I think those blends are nice, to me, its "just coffee" as opposed to something unique and special.

Ive realised now that all tastebuds are different, and if they dont like my SOs or my blends on first try, Im not going to try and convert them.

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you, you put my thoughts into words, see my OH thinks that the SOs are just coffee and that the blends are better, whereas I think the other way around.

LOL definitely not into converting just want to share what I taste especially when I think something is fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by 322920312432292827352433410 link=1302152408/6#6 date=1302162325
                see my OH thinks that the SOs are just coffee
                Heh, thankfully I dont have that issue. My other half is also a lover of the SOs - amazingly her favourite and my favourite are the same (Ethiopian Guna Limmu), whether that be in a Picollo, a Latte, a cappuccino or over ice cream

Comment

Originally posted by 5C657B754F57100 link=1302152408/2#2 date=1302160319
                  I have nothing against blending. I just dont have the time to spend creating a unique blend as i already have plenty of unique SOs i can try
                  Ditto for home.
                  At one stage I had 26 different SOs in my stash.

Im currently buying mostly SOs when Im not roasting bit if I do buy a blend its from the same roasters I get the SOs from.

Comment

26 wow, maybe one day

I was talking to my OH tonight and he does feel some regret that he cant tell the difference, I think he would like to share in something I enjoy so much, not that he doesnt share in other things I like

Comment

Im pretty passionate about both SOs and Blends shifter...

Before you can even attempt blending, one should already have gotten to know all the components beforehand as SO brews. No other way to know whats going to work and what wont work (for me anyway). I guess theres no harm in trying for a Heinz Variety Blend but theres no guarantee it will be better than any of the individual varieties as SOs.

As far as the number of varieties I have in my stash, I really dont know but the overall mass would be about 80-90Kg so that will take me a while to work through... Will have to step up my consumption ;D

Mal.

Comment

Because Im not working ATM, I enjoy getting out once a week and usually buy some roasted beans to take home.

(I might have to start roasting again very soon though)

Comment

I have to say I like both SOs and good blends. The SOs I do are basically CS beans, and I doff my cap to Andy on this: he seems to pick nice beans. So most of the SOs are quite nice.

But my wife prefers the KJM blend - I tend to like a wide variety of what shed call "wild" coffees

I suspect that if you want a nice overall coffee "sameness" then blends are a must-have. But I get bored :

My $0.02
                          /Kevin

Comment

Im a big fan of blends, personally - I havent really tried one I havent liked. If Im buying pre-roasted, Ill always buy a blend but if Im roasting my own, Ill generally stick with a SO.

Funnily enough, I always enjoy commercially pre-roasted more than I enjoy my own SOs. I liken it a bit to it being a bit like having a roast dinner - its never as nice if youve had to cook it yourself and spend hours in the kitchen. I also figure that the commercial roasters have a particularly high level of skill that makes their blends so nice, which is why they are professionals, not home roasters!

There have been a couple of absolutely outstanding SOs Ive done in the past, though - particularly the Herbatzu and Sulawesi Rante Kapua, but unfortunately these God Beans are few and far between for me.

I really need to get more adventurous and start blending my own...one day, when I get the time!

Cheers
                            Di

Comment

Originally posted by 587F697B63100 link=1302152408/13#13 date=1302342829
                              I liken it a bit to it being a bit like having a roast dinner - its never as nice if youve had to cook it yourself and spend hours in the kitchen.
                              I tend to completely disagree with that. Midday saturday, I often start thinking about putting a goat leg in to stew and mixing indian spices together, and when I bite into it at dinner, the appreciation of the achievement exceeds even the satisfaction of the amalgamation of flavours for me.

I have a similar view for the coffee roasting (and, to an extent, is why I do it). Its also wonderful to get a surprise, and instead of just going "this is good" you really have the satisfaction of knowing you had a hand in it (for me, I hit this moment the other day when I roasted up the recent Laos coffee).

Comment

Working...
                              X