Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cups + where to get them

Hey all,

So I was looking to buy some real nice cups, and was wondering what ones you guys think I should get.

I was thinking the 160mL ACF Tulips, but ideally Id like to get something closer to the 200mL mark, while still retaining the tulip shape, and still being top quality.

Any other brands I should be considering? And wheres best to buy the ACF / Suggested cups from? Im in Brisbane, and Im after half a dozen. (as a side note, if anyone else is after half a dozen Id be happy to split an order of a dozen if that works out best!)

Thanks all,
    ~M

**edit**
    On second thoughts, I could go either way with Tulip or not Tulip, I know ACF have a 200mL/190mL round cup... both are tempting. So yeh, has to be excellent quality, and 160-200mL

Re: Best cups + where to get them

ACFs are very symbolically linked to coffee, but Im not sure that theyre the best Comes down to personal preference.

Comment

Rockingham have a 180ml tulip style cup.
      Di Bartoli have them, great cups.
      http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product/Rockingham_Cups

Comment

Rockingham do a fantastic tulip 180mL http://www.dibartoli.com.au/product/Rockingham_Cups which is 20mL bigger than the ACF. Plenty of cafes that Ive been to use rockingham, and I personally think theyre as good as ACF (which I own).

Pioneer coffee still use Rockinghams I think.

In regards to opinion on tulip vs non-tulip, I think the tulips look nicer, but in terms of drinking, I find theyre pretty much the same.

Comment

I was at Venezianos this afternoon looking at the Rockingham cups, and they didnt seem as thick / smooth as the ACF cups they had there.

Those pictures on the Di Bartoli site however look thicker than the ones I was checking out this afternoon.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions...

Comment

I often find that ACFs are not well-finished - the glaze not covered fully, etc.

I love the pastel cappucino cups though!

Comment

Originally posted by 6075677C7D71140 link=1304410465/5#5 date=1304416429
              I often find that ACFs are not well-finished - the glaze not covered fully, etc.
              I would tend to agree. I have 18 ACF cups (12x Long Black / Cappuccino and 6x tulip espresso). The glaze quality can vary between them and there are a couple with what looks like a score mark around the lip. Overall it does not impact the cup and you need to be looking to pick up on it.

Other than that I think they are great. They hold the heat well and are very robust .... often surviving a fall or a decent knock. Very happy with the purchase (now that I have forgotten the cost ).

Cheers

Stinky

Comment

Hmmm, okay, thanks for all your help!

I think youve swayed me (mainly the bit about ACF not being well finished, Id never heard that, but after a bit more research it seems like its not too uncommon :S), and unless someone has a really good reason not to, Ill be placing an order in the morning for:

80mL Espresso Cup (Orange) x 2
                180mL Long Black Cup (Brown) x 4
                200mL Cappuccino Cup (Red) x 4

All Rockingham. In Rockingham we trust.
                Thought since the site lets me order single units, may as well get a bit of everything, cover all bases! Also, definitely a lot cheaper than ACF which is nice. 10 cups + saucers delivered is only $137.50, not too shabby at all.

Thanks again for your help, very positive result from first post on CS! Ill have to do this more often :P

~M

Comment

Originally posted by 2F313B262731420 link=1304410465/7#7 date=1304429554
                  Thanks again for your help, very positive result from first post on CS! Ill have to do this more often
                  Soon, youll be hooked. I think if you provide enough info, most people are lovely and keen to help.

We all had to start somewhere!

I have picked up some odd ACFs at the op shop now and again...

Comment

Originally posted by 3D2329343523500 link=1304410465/7#7 date=1304429554
                    unless someone has a really good reason not to, Ill be placing an order in the morning for:

Really good reason - What about the clash of colours? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0B312A070B2C3136333934372C580 link=1304410465/9#9 date=1304481675
                      Originally posted by 3D2329343523500 link=1304410465/7#7 date=1304429554
                      unless someone has a really good reason not to, Ill be placing an order in the morning for:

Really good reason - What about the clash of colours?  ;D
                      love all the colours, have orange, red, black and brown cups myself. Can even mix and match cups and saucers  [smiley=shocked.gif]

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249251823/82#82

Comment

I got some rockingham tulips off dennis the first day he opened the syvania store for a really good price.
                        Top cups. 

I also bought a few loose rockingham espresso cups from Bondi in different colours and they mix and match great! Brown yellow and red are perfect (although I just broke my red one this week  > )
                        Just need to find a blue from somewhere that sells separately.

By the way... the rockingham espresso cups seem to be thicker and look WAY better quality than the last few ACFs I got.

Comment

Love the range of colours! Embrace it! haha

Ordered, and I now feel like a true coffee lover... Im actually excited about cups coming in the mail. Next step... buying a Behmor 1600, and making my group handle into a naked portafilter!

Comment

Are Rockingham cups made anywhere but in the P.R.C?

Comment

Originally posted by 64464A4A484A404746290 link=1304410465/13#13 date=1305353318
                              Are Rockingham cups made anywhere but in the P.R.C?
                              Hhhhmmm.....Seems to me I saw somewhere that theyre made in New Zealand.

Java "Time for a search engine I guess!" phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X