Help I have some major issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I have some major issues

Im having some major issues with my pour time. I have a diamond prestige machine that has an in built pour timer. Perfect shots on this machine run between 26-30 sec. I can be pulling perfect shots, perfect puck, perfect crema, perfect pour. Then my shots will swing, but not in a small way. Shot times can go as low as 10 sec or other times as high as 50 sec. This is not a gradual thing, 27sec then next shot 10sec. I then waste half a hopper on trying to get this grind to work (tapping group handle to dose more or less, tamping harder ect) or I end up dumping half a hopper and dialing the grinder in again. Effectively starting again. Not only does this cost me a lot of cash, the stress is about to reap havoc on my health. I dose the group head using a consistent method. I tamp consistently. My coffee is from a consistent brand(never had issues before).I have new filters, with good consistent water pressure. Blades in my Compak k10 have done 335kilo. We do have electric doors in our centre, but this has not been an issue in the past. I auto dose & manual dose depending on demand. I feel new to coffee but have spent the last 18 months building our cafe reputation for good coffee. We currently do aprox 35kilos a week. We live in country Vic, 3 hrs from Melb, on the coast & Im feeling like Im running out of options for help. >

Re: Help I have some major issues

Originally posted by 3B3836333233333830570 link=1304594698/0#0 date=1304594698
    Blades in my Compak k10 have done 335kilo.
    This to me would be the first thing Id be looking at. At 35 kilos per week, you would be doing that kind of amount in 10 weeks. At least try them, theyre not expensive, and youll need them soon anyway. Theyre rated at 600kg roughly, but this can vary GREATLY.

Comment

I agree. I had a lot of issues relating to blades earlier. I had thought this could be an issue, but at only half their life grinding I couldnt bring myself to believe they maybe at fault. Ill put in an order tomorrow. If anyone has any other ideas please post.

Comment

Many factors can influence blade wear & reduce stated life

1) Decaf will wear the blades quicker
        2) Heat build up will soften steel and in turn wear quicker
        2) Replacement blades are of softer steel or a different leading blade profile - this can often be from non genuine replacements

If you are getting good results for the first 300kg and consistency is down hill past that point, then I would replace the blades at the 300 kg mark

KK

Comment

Have you asked your coffee supplier their opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by 51525C59585959525A3D0 link=1304594698/0#0 date=1304594698
            I end up dumping half a hopper and dialing the grinder in again
            Off topic and I apologise for that but....
            I prefer to see cafes with empty hoppers and grinding on demand.

Comment

Yes I have asked my supplier & they have been reasonably helpful, but because we are 3 hrs from the city ( it could be South Africa!!) I cant get someone down to watch and give an opinion. I have ordered new blades today and will fit Monday. We have had a good run with the first 6 kilos of the day, but Im starting to now see a shift with some shots running out at 37sec. Dose & tamped the same (auto dose). Its just so random, but seems to piont towards the burs being worn. Ill update when burs are changed and run in.
              On the subject of running blades in is there a very cheap coffee option I should use for doing this? My coffee is $25 a kilo and Im reluctant to do it the same way Ive done previously (while the cafe open). Im not looking forward to the stress it causes & thought I may be able to just run them in after hours and waste a cheap coffee rather than struggle to get good shots while we are open. Is this stupid??

Comment

Off topic and I apologise for that but....
                I prefer to see cafes with empty hoppers and grinding on demand.
                ou may

Yes your very welcome to come down and show me how this is done when there is 20 or more double shot coffee on the board. Yes i do grind to demand and when demand is high I auto dose.

Comment

Regarding cheap coffee. Try aldi. I know it is less than $25/kg and there is an aldi in warnambool

Im not a grinder expert, but the symptoms you report sound more like something loose . While you are fitting the burrs, check everything internally for excessive play and that all mounts are tight.

Another thought: buy a smartgrinder and set it up for correct pour rate alongside your regular grinder, but then leave empty. Next time you get the problem, chuck some beans from your regular grind hopper into the smart grinder and pull a shot. If it comes out fine, you know it is your grinder.

Expensive, but might save a whole lot of time and wasted coffee. You can always use it for decaff duty afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by 393A34313031313A32550 link=1304594698/7#7 date=1304659255
                    Yes your very welcome to come down and show me how this is done when there is 20 or more double shot coffee on the board. Yes i do grind to demand and when demand is high I auto dose.

Thanks 8-)

I bought some coffee beans at Coles earlier in the week for $8 a kg, they were stale and I couldnt drink any of the shots I pulled using them but they could be useful for what you want them for, maybe :-/

I bought them to help clear the smell out of a fridge and freezer that had been a week without power when I was on holiday >

Comment

I know that what I may say is a simple thing but

Do you on a regular basis remove the upper burr carrier and clean the blades
                      The upper blade and carrier can be washed if required

If the blades gunk up with coffee oils from repeated heavy use they wont operate as designed

In effect the new beans just skim over the cutting edges instead of lodging in the grooves

KK

Comment

The grinder is pulled down and cleaned every Sunday close. I also run the crystal cleaner through it every month. I have noticed less of a cutting edge lately.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E4D43464746464D45220 link=1304594698/11#11 date=1304724219
                          The grinder is pulled down and cleaned every Sunday close. I also run the crystal cleaner through it every month. I have noticed less of a cutting edge lately.

It looks like you are doing all the right things

In all the conversations that I have had with baristas most say its normal practice to change burrs at around 300 kg of use
                          Some will change sooner & some after but 300kg is the average

KK

Comment

Thanks KK, this has helped. I must admit Ive been feeling a little ripped off when Im told I should get 600kilo & Im not. I keep a coffee diary & going back through it Im noticing a trend at the 3 month mark. My shot times begin to deviate. Im concerned that others in my chain are getting more than 600 kilo. Im a proud coffee Natzi & Im sure their coffee must suffer. theyer just not worried about it or doing anything about it. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 21222C29282929222A4D0 link=1304594698/13#13 date=1304738692
                              Im concerned that others in my chain are getting more than 600 kilo. Im a proud coffee Natzi & Im sure their coffee must suffer. theyer just not worried about it or doing anything about it.
                              Can you ask them if theyve noticed the same things you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X