Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from a fellow coffee snob..

Hi all,

Im Joe from Perth, WA, and I thought it was about time I actually joined up and contributed, rather than lurking and sucking up as much info as I can.. seeing as the info on this forum has been invaluable to me in recent times, its time I gave some back

My coffee journey began in 2006, with a Gaggia Titanium super-auto being purchased, after visiting Italy and realising how good and consistent the coffee was there (especially the Antico Caffe Greco in Rome, what a great place!).

In 2007, after doing plenty of research, I realised that using an auto meant I was missing out on REAL coffee.. So, I took the plunge and bought this.. the good old Silvia / Rocky package with base, and lots of accessories.

The white Rocky doser was a resto job I picked up from an ex employer of mine who had it in the "executive kitchen", to grind coffee for the drip coffee maker.. it needed a lot of work to bring it back. 

The Auber PID was added about 2 years ago, it made a world of difference to my coffee

Accessories..

Naked portafilter that a cafe owner friend of mine gifted me..

Lots of practice!!

A Saeco Royal Professional was sourced off a family member and added to the line-up.

Up to this year, Ive held off on my upgrade-itis.. but when I got the opportunity to come back to the family business (a wholesale bakery in North Perth), and the hint was dropped that I was to be given free reign on setting up a take-away coffee venture for our Saturday morning walk-in customers, I jumped at the chance to buy the machine I wanted.

Enter the Izzo Alex Duetto II and Mazzer Mini E.  It was more than suitable for what we thought would be 30-40 coffees on a Saturday morning.

Well... that didnt last long.  30-40 coffees on a Saturday morning turned into 30-40 coffees AN HOUR, as the word got around that our bakery was serving what people considered to be decent coffee.  The Alex couldnt keep up!

So we went out and found this lightly used machine for sale.. and we subsequently bought it!  Expobar Megacrem & Compak K8.  I installed it this week and Im preparing to crank it up this Saturday for the first time.

The Alex / Mazzer now sits proudly on the bench at home, where my Silvia and Saeco Royal used to sit.. the Royal has been delegated to office kitchen duties, and the Silvia / Rocky is in a box in the garage, ready to be sold at some stage.. its gonna be hard to let it go, its been such a faithful beast!  The Rocky doser was bought by a friend, who was chasing one for a secondary / decaf home grinder.

Well thats me.. thanks for reading.  Im looking forward to contributing back to a community that has helped me with lots and lots of info over the years.

Cheers

Re: Greetings from a fellow coffee snob..

Great story and great path Joe. Welcome to the fold!

Java "Sippin a cuppa and watching for tornados!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Welcome to CS. Thats got to be the best first post ever!

Comment

My welcome also, great to have you on board at CSs.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys

Although I thought the upgrade bug would stop with the Alex, the accessories now need to match.. its a neverending story, but a very satisfying one as Im sure you all know!

Im very keen to really throw myself into my "art" and learn coffee from top to bottom, the better I get at it, the more my customers benefit from it.

Comment

Greetings and welcome from a fellow Perthite and Alex/Mazzer owner

Comment

Originally posted by 6C6F62677D7A6D0E0 link=1305076240/0#0 date=1305076240
              The Alex / Mazzer now sits proudly on the bench at home, where my Silvia and Saeco Royal used to sit..
              I like it.

Alright, new plan for me.

1. Buy a bakery
              2. Buy shiny coffee machine to go in said bakery (must remember to claim the tax deduction) ;D
              3. Upgrade bakery machine and upgrade home machine too

Win-win really!

Comment

Originally posted by 5D485A41404C290 link=1305076240/6#6 date=1305093575
                1. Buy a bakery
                I know of one for sale...

But....

2. Buy shiny coffee machine to go in said bakery (must remember to claim the tax deduction)  ;D

Win-win really!
                It currently already has two shiny machines sitting on the bench there though I guess, one of them will go when you buy it!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 3E3D30352F283F5C0 link=1305076240/0#0 date=1305076240
                  Hi all,

Im Joe from Perth, WA, and I thought it was about time I actually joined up and contributed, rather than lurking and sucking up as much info as I can.. seeing as the info on this forum has been invaluable to me in recent times, its time I gave some back
                  Welcome Joe, great intro to yourself and thanks for showing us your journey so far.

I think that as far as "sucking up info" goes, its a great place to do that and no one here thinks any less of any one for doing it!

Comment

Joe! you made it!

I joined CS basically right when I bought my first machine (rather than lurking), and have had so much help here, its made my coffee journey just that much better!

Shall I start counting now the days until you start home roasting? then soon after fit a shop-roasted in at the bakery? *smirk*

I gotta come in on Sat and give the expobar a go! Also will have to bring in some home-roast

Comment

Great intro Joe and Welcome from me too.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Love your progression through time - unbeatable. 8-)

Have fun mate, lots to learn and do....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks everyone

James, I knew youd pop in sooner rather than later

Home roasting is something Ive been considering for a while, but until I find more time, I will unfortunately have to hold off.. I already spend too much time playing with my machines!

Come down any Saturday you like to try the Expobar.. and if you want to have a crack at the Alex, thats at home now. Keen to try your home blend

Comment

Originally posted by 697975756E7B457D7B761A0 link=1305076240/7#7 date=1305095418
                          Originally posted by 5D485A41404C290 link=1305076240/6#6 date=1305093575
                          1. Buy a bakery
                          I know of one for sale...

But....

2. Buy shiny coffee machine to go in said bakery (must remember to claim the tax deduction)  ;D

Win-win really!
                          It currently already has two shiny machines sitting on the bench there though I guess, one of them will go when you buy it!  ;D

That looks like a hot bread shop to me

Comment

Originally posted by 30333E3B212631520 link=1305076240/12#12 date=1305161657

That looks like a hot bread shop to me

Sure is Joe!  The one where I work and stand behind that brown machine all day! ;D

Comment

Do you ever use the Elektra? That thing looks damn cool!!

Comment

Working...
                              X