Am I a Barista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I a Barista?

In Feburary this year I did a TAFE certified "Prepare and Serve Espresso Coffee" course - I passed and recieved a certificate.

I put on my resume that I did a "Barista (Prepare & Serve Espresso Coffee) course at Adelaide Hospitality & Tourism School" and was called in to do a trial at Elly Cafe at Marion Westfield in Adelaide. The boss started asking me questions about expierence which I replied "I havnt had expierence in hospitality itself apart from Hungry Jacks in my teens but I did do a coffee making course" which to me is expierence to which he replied "So your not a Barista - if you dont have the expierence you cant be a Barista" then he started saying stuff about how he isnt a Barista (but he works making coffee" and it totally confused me.

Am I a Barista or not?????? this left me dumbfounded and kind of put me off. im considering rewording my resume :-/

Re: Am I a Barista?

The term barista in Australia means different things to different people. Around here a barista is someone with experience and knows what they are talking about. To most people a barista is a coffee maker who pushes buttons, so depends on what sort of a place you are trying to get work. An idea might be to put "Barista in training" or words to that effect.

Cheers

Brett

Comment

The course is not normally considered experience, but would go under education/training on your resume.

I have the same certificate.
      The course took me 4 hours and everyone passed, there was no checking that we had learned anything. Your course may have been different, but employers will place little value on the certificate.

Looking on the bright side, whatever is on your resume, it was enough to get you in for a trial, so that is a good sign.

Comment

Hello Suga,

to be perfectly honest, I am afraid not. The thing being, if the employer takes you on your word (or on the face value of the certificate), and throws you straight onto a shift on the machine, the expectation would be that you can handle the "pace" ie step straight into the job.

In order to be able to handle the pace, you need tp have the experience, and to have that you need to have served out some kind of "unofficial" apprenticeship ie, worked under supervision for some time and have picked up what is required to a point where you can work satisfactorily unsupervised.

This is the trouble with "pieces of paper", and it is exactly the same thing for example when you leave university with a degree in engineering, and actually dont know much, until you get a job and work under supervision to gain experience in the practical aspects of your chosen career path.....

Having thought to take the time to do the course you are on the right track. If you were in Canberra right now I would be interviewing you and if successful, you would be placed in our coffee house under supervision and undergo further training  The supervision is to help you gain experience in the workplace to woek under the usual busy cafe pressures, and the training is to improve your understanding, technical skill, and therefore the quality of your brews.

Unfortunately when you apply for a job as a "barista" in a regular cafe, you have to understand that most usually they are looking for someone that can step straight in, push buttons, handle the pressure, & work at speed on multiples of orders! A real barista should be able to do that but not compromise the quality, so I think the title comes after the time spent and the experience and understanding gained, rather than before.

Hoe that helps.
        Attilio
        very first CS site sponsor

Comment

I am with the others Suga,

At this point, you have completed a coffeemaking course.

Barista is about a whole heap of experience, humility and a commitment to education of yourself and others. Its a word which these days is disrespected by way too many who really just push buttons and crucify milk.

Those who achieve prep. & serve have "L" plates at best and if like the bloke I trained yesterday fresh out of a BB training course, perhaps a whole heap of bad behaviours which need to be re-taught.

Baby steps with an open mind and in 5-10 years you may be able to call yourself a barista.

Enjoy the ride and learn every day.

Chris

Comment

Ah, 5-10 years... sounds painful but also sounds like an exciting journey - I can imagine what I would learn (I actually learnt a few more things in the trial).

I completly understand what you all mean, Ill change it to "Barista in Training"

Im not the push the button type, I prefer the manual not the auto ;D I squeed a bit on the training because when I was frothing the milk it was soooo silky I fell inlove because I know I cant get silky milk at home!!! which actually saddened me and im thinking of upgrading now even tho Ive only had my machine for a couple months.

I have a sunbeam at home (the silver twin one - EM####???) I cant remember the numbers and I use it everyday practising and practising - I have friends and friends of friends coming over with takeaway cups (Ive actually purchased some dissposable cups now) buying coffee from me!!! its crazy!!!! so im getting "some" expierence there.

I also go to a local church and bring my coffee machine and serve there too.

Comment

...or go to maccas and be an instant barista

I splutter ever time I hear that ad and feel sorry for the people that have worked years and years to become one.

Comment

Sorry to disagree with the masses, but anyone who pulls a shot professionally is perfectly entiled to call themselves a barista.

I have no doubt that that fact is just as anoying to the professionals that frequent this forum as it is in my own profession where complete idiots claim grandiose titles that their ability and education simply does not warrant.

Comment

I make coffees for $$ and one of the things that comes up in chatting about coffee etc. Oh so you are a Barista No is the reply oh so you have done a course No again. The Muckas adds or Nestles "Barista style coffee C!@# needs to be stopped before the word Barista becomes a joke.

To my way of thinking a Barista is like all trades they may commence with training be it hands on or a 3 hour course but it is a lifetime career path to follow and you should never stop learning on that journey no matter how long you have been at it. Somewhere down the track if I go into full time coffee making I might consider myself a Barista but NO bit of paper will make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D5A5E515953465651583F0 link=1305299687/8#8 date=1305443459
                    Somewhere down the track if I go into full time coffee making I might consider myself a Barista but NO bit of paper will make it so.
                    Only a true barista would deny being one

Comment

Originally posted by 64636768606A7F6F6861060 link=1305299687/8#8 date=1305443459
                      Somewhere down the track if I go into full time coffee making I might consider myself a Barista but NO bit of paper will make it so.
                      And thats probably true of every profession or trade....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 404B53484F4F2A0 link=1305299687/9#9 date=1305443950
                        Only a true barista would deny being one Wink
                        Not quite true, I deny being one ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0F22262A274B0 link=1305299687/10#10 date=1305445157
                          And thats probably true of every profession or trade
                          That has been my experience in the past too. Some of the biggest numpties have been Degree or Masters Qualified Engineers straight out of Uni while the best have been the Diploma hands on guys with 20+ years experience 

Should own up here I was an Engineer in my former life before playing with toys  8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 343B2D2D373D3F3A372631305E0 link=1305299687/5#5 date=1305332992
                            sounds like an exciting journey - I can imagine what I would learn (I actually learnt a few more things in the trial)
                            I would suggest calling in to see Fiefy (45 Pirie St, Adelaide) one afternoon and ask if you can work for free for a couple of afternoons to get some machine time in. She has won multiple Barista and Latte Art state championships so you will see "Barista" at a different level to the Tafe course. It might even become a foot in the door and you can add it your resume to help beef it up too.

If you are as keen as you sound then most good places would be happy to give you a crack in their quieter part of the day.

Comment

The sign of a great or true Barista is one that can teach and educate their customers while preparing the best espresso, and I dont call myself a Barista after 10 years of learning, my customers call me a Barista thats the true level to attain.

Comment

Working...
                              X