Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I take coffee beans on a plane

Hi all,
    New here and just wanting to pick your brains.
    My boyfriend and I were in Tasmania in May and picked up some lovely coffee beans from Salamanca Markets - Yum!
    Anyway, my father is going into hospital in June and we will be going up to Queensland to visit and wanted to take some of this awesome coffee with us, as he is the biggest coffee nut. Just wondering if any of you lovely people could help me out with letting me know if we are able to take the beans on the plane., carry-on only.
    Thanks a whole heap!

Re: Can I take coffee beans on a plane

Your best bet would be to contact the airline, however given the rules as I understand them wrt to quarantine and things worried about by the various industries around the country- if they were roasted beans it shouldnt be a problem.

Green beans may be a different matter - depending what theyre cleassed as - fresh fruit (eg: apples, oranges and pears) are forbidden at Adelaide airport due to risk of spreading fruit fly around the country..

Comment

I cannot see how either roasted or green coffee within Australia would be an issue. Many suppliers (including Coffeesnobs) mail both around the country all the time.

Green beans that come into Australia all get fumigated to my knowledge, so I cannot see how they would classify them in the same way as fresh fruit.

Anyhow, as suggested above, ask the airline but finding someone who actually knows the answer could be difficult.

These days, the default answer seems to be No when they actuall mean I have no idea.

Brett.

Comment

Domestic Quarantine : http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/index.php

Australian Quarantine : http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Comment

I cant see a problem. Recently, I took some beans to and from Tassie and no-one said anything. Admittedly, I didnt say anything. :-X

Comment

Thanks! I really couldnt see it being a problem but just thought Id ask the people that might have a better chance of knowing, as I thought I would probably get the standard "no" response if I called the airline.
            Ill just put them in an outside pocket or something so it doesnt look like Im trying to hide anything in/with them and all should be sweet.
            Thanks again for all your input.

Comment

Hahaha I flew to SA once with 3kgs of beans and 1kg of white chocolate powder.. No one said anything.. ;D

Comment

I took roasted beans to and from Fiji.
                Declared them and they were not an issue.

I dont think you will be asked a thing about them.

Comment

Yep, me too.

Japan, Thailand, Indonesia, USA, Fiji. Declared them each time and never an issue.

They are better in hand luggage and I tape the one way valves.

Comment

Working...
                  X