Whats Wrong With Lavazza Coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Wrong With Lavazza Coffee?

Yes, Im new to these pages and the prosumer world of home coffee.

I mentioned today to somebody in the coffee industry that I used Lavazza coffee beans. At the mention of this he held up his fingers in the sign of the cross and ran away chanting, "Unclean, unclean".

Maybe I exaggerate a little but the horror was real.

Seriously, what was he objecting so strongly to? He mentioned freshness and that he would _never_ put such beans in his grinder or coffee machine.

Could somebody explain to this novice?

Thanks.

Re: Whats Wrong With Lavazza Coffee?

there not highly regarded..... often old and not fresh.

whats the roasted on date on the bag your using right now? (not the use by date)

maybe go get a kilo of fresh beans from a good (better?) roaster, clean your grinder, machine and equipment and try that kilo and se what you think...

Comment

Welcome to CS,

Something I learnt a while ago,

Everybody has their own opinions to which they are entitled, but it doesnt mean to say they are right....

If you like Lavazza, then keep with it..

Comment

Hi GP and welcome,

Drop in to your local sponsor with some of yours and then try some of theirs against them.

To me, they taste like Id imagine Drano would!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 2F232A27272E420 link=1308712427/1#1 date=1308712866
          whats the roasted on date on the bag your using right now?
          Roasted date is not specifically marked as such but there are a couple of codes. e.g:

6730/12/06
          and
          AP15GX

Heres a problem for mystery solvers :-)

Gp

Comment

you can start to see why its not well regarded....

for the average worker in a coffee shop how do they know which one to use first etc

how does the boss know (with ease) if the coffee is fresh...

Comment

looks like December 06 to me.

biggest issue with their beans is that they are stale. ideally you want to be using beans within 3-4weeks of their roasted on date. Looks like you are a few years past that with those ones.

get some fresh beans and be amazed with the difference 8-)

Comment

Question - do you use the Lavazza bought from the Supermarket, or Lavazza bought from a Cafe that uses it to make coffee from?

If its supermarket bought, most (ie; 99%) of coffee beans on the shelf at a Chain Supermarket are stale from sitting on the shelf. They tend to package these things up overseas, have the shipping time, then put them on the shelf with the older stock up the front, as is standard practise, so youre looking at a minimum of probably 3-6 months at least from roast date to putting it in your grinder.

The optimum time for roasted beans is between 7-21 days or thereabouts and after around the 21 day mark, they start going stale (and staler, and staler) so you can imagine how stale it would be and taste by the time you opened a bag.

Harking back to my old days of using - and swearing by - Lavazza that I bought from Woolworths, it really doesnt have a smidge on the strength and taste of freshly roasted beans. I used to like the Lavazza particularly because it was milder - in hindsight that was because it washed away the "stale flavour" somewhat.

If you try freshly roasted beans, for a start you might find the flavour quite diferent and the impact a bit overwhelming for a start but give it a week or two and your palate starts to adjust to the flavour intensity and you start to taste the difference. Then, just out of curiousity, put some of the Lavazza back in your grinder and make a coffee out of those beans again and youll wonder how you ever drank it.

Also, something to keep in mind - it generally costs around $30.00 or so for Lavazza from the Supermarket. You can buy 1kg of freshly roasted beans from a Sponsor (preferred) or local coffee roastery for a similar amount and youre getting beautiful, fresh syrupy goodness in your cup.

Or learn to roast your own and only pay around $25.00 or so 2.5kg of green beans that you can roast to your own tastebuds and as much or as little as you need.

Cheers
                Di

Comment

Hi Gp & welcome to CS. The above posts certainly sum up the general consensus and I must agree. I also would say that Lavazza was my favourite bean before I became educated in what a difference a little effort and time can make. If you are happy with it by all means enjoy it but as suggested try fresh beans from a reputable roaster or better from a sponsor or CS itself. But be WARNED............once you experience the potential of fresh roasted beans there is generally no way out or back.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 2D04080609610 link=1308712427/2#2 date=1308712984
                    What, and not expand ones horizons.... :

Mal.

Comment

In my days of innocence (ignorance) I quickly worked out that Lavazza were the best of the supermarket offerings. I smile when I remember promoting Lavazza to my even more ignorant friends. I have to say I was happy to brew it up in a dripolator or plunger but as soon as I bought the Diadema and ran the first load of quality beans through it the Lavazza went in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F786E7C64170 link=1308712427/7#7 date=1308727956
                        Also, something to keep in mind - it generally costs around $30.00 or so for Lavazza from the Supermarket.  You can buy 1kg of freshly roasted beans from a Sponsor (preferred) or local coffee roastery for a similar amount and youre getting beautiful, fresh syrupy goodness in your cup.
                        This is what amazes me the most. whether you buy freshly roasted beans or buy supermarket coffee, the per kg price is very similar!!!! What a rort.

Comment

Originally posted by 14393D313C500 link=1308712427/9#9 date=1308732961
                          Originally posted by 2D04080609610 link=1308712427/2#2 date=1308712984
                          What, and not expand ones horizons.... :

Mal.

Hahaha all for it.... ;D

Comment

At the risk of being accused of Heresy depending on the local available options you can do a lot worse than Lavazza Gold even if it is preground.

When you live in the country and are drinking Plunger or Drip Coffee it has been one of the better tasting options available in most Supermarkets. On an extended trip up the Birdsville Track and down through the West of NSW it was a welcoming sight on the shelves of the Innamincka store after being on Nescrappy for 5 days.

Would I use it locally now NO.

Comment

Hi Gp
                              For nearly 20 years I put Lavazza, Sao, Kimbo, Mauro - basically any Italian bean through my machine, thinking they were it.
                              Then I discovered local roasters online, then a chance siting of green beans on a auction site started what I have continued for the past 6 years.

RYO is best IMHO, but in the end if youre happy with what you have, then stay with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X