Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When have you been tempted to drink INSTANT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When have you been tempted to drink INSTANT?

fellow csers

I am ashamed to admit, but this morning I came very close to drinking...INSTANT coffee 

As I had been sick for the past few days, I wasnt able to keep my supplies of fresh beans stocked up and had just run out. I was craving a morning coffee, but the only coffee in the house was nescafe blend 43. I even had the tin out, ready to crack it open.

"it cant be THAT bad" I thought to myself...

Only when i looked at the gaudy tin, in front of my equipment which represented my coffee drinking passion did I come around to my senses..."I cant do it"  my mind conceded as my tastebuds rejoiced at the news.  I waited it out, and got some freshly roasted beans after I finished my morning work.  well worth the wait

Disaster averted...has this happened to you? when have you been tempted to drink instant?

Re: When have you been tempted to drink INSTANT?

For those who didnt know, you can easily make your own instant coffee at home, please see attached picture.

You will need, one spoon, one cigarette lighter, one pencil (preferably unpainted) and a sharpening device, too easy.

Comment

I had a cup of Moccona at lunch time. It was what I was expecting so wasnt disappointed.

Comment

I look like a w@$%er when my family ask me if Id like a coffee, and I say no. What, our coffee not good enough for you? Well, no, its not. It has a similar colour to coffee, but thats about it.

I remember when I was at Uni, I used to try all the different jars of instant to find one that matched my tastes, and I did stick with one type for a few years. But now... I cant go back. Theres too much water under that bridge.

Comment

Try standing on a freezing football field with your kids at 7am on a windy saturday morning;

Try going to a motorcycle only swap meet at 7 am on a freezing and windy sunday morning;

Try not to be rude with your hosts when they have offered you the only coffee they have and value, during your visit with them;

Try going without when there is NO alternative and you have to feed that caffeine withdrawal headache.

Just four examples and I am sure there are plenty more. Tthe first two you will beg for that $1.00 cup of instant in a foam takeaway cup just to warm you up a bit, the third you will accept because it is terribly unbecoming to be an appalling snob in the (derogatory sense of the word) with your hosts, and the fourth because thats just the way it is especially when the headache pills didnt work......

Remember the same rules apply to instant as everything else which is you can make it well, or you can make it badly. It isnt that bad when it is made well, its just a different wet hot brown beverage competing with a miriad of others. And of course there are good and bad instants....your choice.

Never say never, and it all depends on the situation guys  it all depends on the situation    

Rgdz,
          Attilio

Comment

Originally posted by 655146504B7C604C45454646230 link=1308808178/4#4 date=1308814405
            Try...
            Or going to a National roasting competition with hundreds of coffees nearby, yet stuck in your hotel room awake at 6am, thinking, as you open two sachets of instant coffee, and a sachet of sugar, I wonder if I can make an espresso out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by 57637462794E527E77777474110 link=1308808178/4#4 date=1308814405
              Tthe first two you will beg for that $1.00 cup of instant in a foam takeaway cup just to warm you up a bit, the third you will accept because it is terribly unbecoming to be an appalling snob in the (derogatory sense of the word) with your hosts, and the fourth because thats just the way it is especially when the headache pills didnt work......

Attilio  been there (all 4) and NOT done that, the answer for me is tea bag tea or maybe something they call hot chocolate (if available) in that horrible little foam cup, yeah I know you can burn your mouth and still not warm your hands it really is a crying shame !!!!

Some people I know think that Im CRAZEEE and also that I dont drink coffee except when out at coffee shop

Its just that suffering the terrible nausea and headache from every instant coffee Ive sampled is not worth it. What is it in instant that has this YUCK woozy effect? Feels like travel sickness - OMG just thinking about it makes me feel ill, Is it just very stale coffee?

What are the good instants?, my mum buys an organic decaf from health food shop Ive not been game enough to sample it , hmm?

Comment

Was awake all night and needed a drink to get the taste of the horrible hospital coffee out of my mouth, that was two years and two months ago!

Brett

Comment

Not quite instant but the other day I was at a friends and they have Vittoria pre-ground, I thought well why not, I want to see what everyone raves about that wont try my coffee. My opinion, not really nice. I took some of mine over (Ghimbi) after and made that up, the opinion was, its ok, not as strong as I like it.

Comment

I will drink instant coffee, but must be 50/50 with sugar. I will only drink it if tea isnt available though.

Comment

*tempted* to drink instant? not once since mid 2005. but I will drink it in Attilios example 3 - at friends houses when everyones having coffee, theres no credit in being a snob and turning up your nose at what theyre offering...
                      with the right combination of milk and sugar it can be an ok drink if I dont allow myself to compare it to real coffee

Comment

tempted ???

Never.

to be polite yes I can struggle through a third of a cup and then suggest my tummy is grisly

Comment

Last time I had instant coffee was sailing back from Flinders Island on the Matthew Flinders just before the ship got out of the shelter of Flinders Island and into Bass strait. Sick as a dog and havent been able to face instant since.

Comment

Hmmm.... :

Long, long time ago when I had run out of my favourite, freshly roasted beans, and no access or hope of getting any as I was in the middle of a remote part of a PNG jungle... It almost killed me but there was nothing else to drink :P

Mal.

Comment

I think I would rather die than drink instant. The last time I had it I had a bitter taste for about an hour or two and swore never to have it again.

When I cant get decent coffee I drink tea, beer, wine or water, but not instant.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X