Do you wipe or wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wipe or wash?

I know that in a commercial environment (I presume due to time contraints and praticality) most Baristi tend to knock out the spent puck, then wipe out the basket with a cloth.

When I make coffee at home I am in no rush and take my time. One thing that I have always done after dumping the spent puck is to wash the basket under a hot tap to remove oil residue and any left over grounds.

So I am curious to know from fellow snobs what you do, wash or wipe? do you think it makes any difference?

Re: Do you wipe or wash?

At home I always wash it, before I make my first then again right after the last coffee.

Whew I thought this was a fold or scrunch type of question for a second!

Comment

When at work, I knock, wash and then wipe (also my practice at home).
      If were getting slammed it will be a simple knock and wipe.

I dont think it would make much difference if the cloth that youre wiping with is pretty clean, as it would still remove a vast majority of the oil.

Comment

I have a sink handy so I wash for the majority of times. I find that the floor around me cops it if I do a few wipes in a row. Keeping the tiles clean preserves the few credits Ive got left!

Comment

I give the basket a quick rinse out using the group head - no engaged though. If the tamp is good there shouldnt be much left one the puck is knocked out. Id rather clean out the tray underneath at the end of the day than wipe the basket with a cloth but its a bit of a personal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 535643390 link=1310509434/1#1 date=1310511151

Whew I thought this was a fold or scrunch type of question for a second!
            Me too ;D ;D ;D ;D

I rinse after every shot and brush the group head as well just something I have all ways done :

Gra..

Comment

Isnt the wiping so you are dosing into a dry basket rather than a wet one?

Comment

Knock out, rinse in hot water, and return to machine.

I always wipe dry before dosing.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 47726567576F726D616C64000 link=1310509434/7#7 date=1310523627
                  Knock out, rinse in hot water, and return to machine.

I always wipe dry before dosing.

Greg
                  Same process as Greg.

When I return it to the machine, I dont lock it in, just place it so it wont fall out by itself.

Brett.

Comment

I use a bottomless group handle at home so rinse inside and out then wipe and loosely replace the handle in the group head.

Last time I worked commercially, about a month ago, it was knock and wipe. I averaged more than 1 a minute over a 5 hour period but that included quieter times at either end of that window. At the worst of it, it was non stop with two handles; dose, tamp, pull, knock, wipe, dose, tamp etc x 2.

Comment

Wow TG. You made over 300 coffees in 5 hours? Im impressed!

Comment

Thanks.
                        I think we did close to 400 but definitely over 300.
                        I was glad I managed to keep up.
                        My dosing lever finger still bears the scars.
                        Only pulling shots though.
                        I decided quite quickly doing the milk half of the equation was beyond me with little practise of late.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E726F747E7F687D757E1A0 link=1310509434/9#9 date=1310536913
                          Last time I worked commercially, about a month ago, it was knock and wipe. I averaged more than 1 a minute over a 5 hour period but that included quieter times at either end of that window. At the worst of it, it was non stop with two handles; dose, tamp, pull, knock, wipe, dose, tamp etc x 2.
                          Pretty darn good TG [smiley=thumbsup.gif]... And I bet 99% of the shots were real goodns too.... 8-)

For me (only at home), I flush out the basket under the Group between shots then use a paper towel to wipe out. After a session, remove the Filter Basket then flush out the Group Handle and Basket under the Group again and a thorough clean out with a bristle brush; reassemble and lightly lock-in to the Group. After the last session for the day, the above is still followed but the Group Handle is left to dry off in the dish-tray on the sink....

Mal.

Comment

I flush the basket then wipe dry before the next shot. I have a sink next to me at home so it is easy. When finished I clean the group head with a brush as well and then backflush after the last cup for the day.

Comment

I always rinse (my machine is next to the sink) and lock back in, then wipe before I make my next coffee to get out any moisture.

Cheers
                              Di

Comment

Working...
                              X