Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Piccolo latte and short macchiato?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Piccolo latte and short macchiato?

In my 2 years of drinking coffee so far, I have normally had a latte or cappuccino (and the odd mocha I have to admit). Im thinking of changing it up a bit and trying other varieties. I looked it up on google and they look similar. Would anyone be able to explain the difference?

Re: Difference between Piccolo latte and short macchiato?

A short Macchiatto? Similar to a latte? I think youre confusing it with a top up long macchiatto.

A short macchiatto is just a shot of espresso with a cap of milk/foam. A traditional long macchiatto is a double shot with a cap of milk/foam. A top up long macchiatto is a double shot with milk topped up to the rim of the glass (150 - 200mL?) Not exactly sure on the amount.

And since you like milk why not try a flat white?

Comment

Hey GenYguy,

Always happy to be corrected as I’m not as learned as most on here however I have always believed that the Macchiato is the shot of coffee with a small spoon of foam / milk where the Piccolo is a 30ml shot and 30mls milk. If I’m wrong I have been driving the poor baristas of Australia mad because that is what I expect when I order a Piccolo. It would explain a lot of the strange looks !!

Cheers Bryan

Comment

I once had a short black, didnt like it but I know these kinds of tastes grow on you and Im up for trying them again. Ill try a piccolo latte when I go for my coffee today.

Comment

it looks to me that you are debating on something like: is coffee with milk better than milk with coffee?

I might sound a bit dry. maybe am having a bad day. :-[

Comment

No, I like coffee with milk but I am trying to expand my tastes to like coffee without much milk too.

Comment

Macchiato is basically a short black and a dash of froth
              and Piccolo latte is translated as small/short latte..so piccolo latte is a short black with little bit of milk and froth..
              For piccolo latte normally served in a bit taller shot glass

Comment

I would have thought that the piccolo latte would still have the same proportions as a standard latte,
                so perhaps a single ristretto topped up with milk?

Comment

Hi all

stealing part of a post from scoots back in 2006 -

the baristas bible, Barista Techniques says that a Piccolo Latte is

"A version of a caffe latte served in a macchiato glass"

Should be based on an espresso - so 25-30ml of coffe or a ristretto- 15ml-20ml, topped with milk, and have 5mm of foam.

So being as a macchiato glass can be anywhere from 70ml to 90ml in size, I guess you could end up with a 90ml Piccolo latte.

I use a 90ml glass and find this great.

As to a macchiato -
                  My thoughts are it is an espresso shot "marked or stained with milk" - some will dolop a teaspoon of foam on top, some will heat milk and add a dash.

I find these two drinks are very different beasts. If you are usually a milk based coffee drinker then the piccolo will be by far the smaller step transition to espresso.

Comment

Had a piccolo latte this morning and I liked it! Not as bitter as a short black but a pleasant change to the more milky coffees. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Im a fan of the piccolo latte, never had a macchiato though, maybe I should

Comment

Originally posted by 7076616A70776F6D040 link=1317821832/10#10 date=1317964013
                        Im a fan of the piccolo latte, never had a macchiato though, maybe I should
                        Just Wow. Yes you should.

Comment

I only get to make coffee on my machine on holidays and weekends, so one coffee is never enough. I usually have a Piccolo Latte followed immediately by a Macchiato. This is a nice combo as the Latte is a perfect first coffee of the day that doesnt fill me up with milk, and the Macchiato allows me to enjoy the essential nature of whatever bean is being used.

Comment

A piccolo should be a signature beverage for any coffee establishment - so at my work we fine the grind, and run a restricted double ristretto to 20mls served in a 90ml demitasse - then top with textured milk

The coffee base should punch through the milk but not overwhelm the beverage, and should showcase the single origin (if thats what youre serving) of the coffee

For a long mac I prefer an updosed restricted pour of no more than 40mls coffee, topped by a thin layer of testured milk - and a dash of cold milk to cool it all down a bit...

Comment

I find ordering from place to place differs greatly in terms of the language one must use to get what you want. I fear most places would look at me like I was insane if I asked for "a long mac, up-dosed restricted pour of no more than 40mls coffee, topped by a thin layer of textured milk, and a dash of cold milk to cool it all down a bit"

Was at the maling room the other day and had a massive language barrier struggle with an asian waitress. All I wanted was a flat white with a double shot in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X