Spoon disapproval, or custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoon disapproval, or custom?

I have something thats worrying me and I thought I would put a question out there to see if anyone has an answer, since this should be the obvious place to go.  Occasionally when clearing tables, I find an empty cup and saucer with the teaspoon turned over and the tip resting on the edge of the saucer.  Can someone please tell me if this is maybe a sign that they didnt like the coffee, or is it just a thing to do when they have finished?  It seems to be only from Italian or Mediterranean people, and its worrying me a bit.  Or is it just my OCD, haha! I want every coffee that leaves my machine to be perfect, but with multiple users I guess thats just dreaming.
    Any ideas, anyone?     :-? :-/

Re: Spoon disapproval, or custom?

Hi Jenna,
    Amazing, someone as OCD as me! ;D
    I used to wonder the same thing, but I honestly put it down to paranoia! The reason being some of the people that did it were loyal customers (and practically friends), that loved our coffee. I never asked why they did this, just assumed they did it growing up and never broke the habit?

Id say that if they didnt like the coffee, they wouldnt drink it. Or just half of it.

Comment

Coffee spoon psychology 101:

If left where its served, the teaspoon can slide toward the centre of the saucer - very annoying to have to move it so that you can put your cup down. It wouldnt be polite or hygenic to put the spoon on the table. Ergo turn the spoon upside down, rest the tip on the edge of the saucer, and it will remain in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by 787D6D7D3A0 link=1318577059/0#0 date=1318577059
        an empty cup and saucer
        I think the fact that its empty speaks volumes about the quality of your beverage

Comment

Excellent, Dennis!

I was taught that in Cutlery Etiquette 101 as a child by my grandmother, but it was with cups of tea at that stage.

This was the same lady who taught me that it wasnt good manners to lick my plate clean at the end of a meal - unfortunately she failed at that one (particularly if theres raspberry coulis and cream involved!) ;D

Comment

Thanks, this all makes logical sense to me. Must be mostly just a customary thing to do after all. I feel better now!

Comment

I would have said it was a practical thing to do rather than a customary thing

Comment

Originally posted by 62677767200 link=1318577059/0#0 date=1318577059
                I have something thats worrying me and I thought I would put a question out there to see if anyone has an answer, since this should be the obvious place to go.  Occasionally when clearing tables, I find an empty cup and saucer with the teaspoon turned over and the tip resting on the edge of the saucer.  Can someone please tell me if this is maybe a sign that they didnt like the coffee, or is it just a thing to do when they have finished?  It seems to be only from Italian or Mediterranean people, and its worrying me a bit.  Or is it just my OCD, haha! I want every coffee that leaves my machine to be perfect, but with multiple users I guess thats just dreaming.
                Any ideas, anyone?     :-? :-/
                Is it like the old leaVE YOUR Empty beer glass turned upside on the bar thing....theyre just looking for a fight ;D

Comment

What I hated most was the serviette placed carefully into the dregs of the coffee. Wet, sloppy and gross :

Comment

Lol dont sweat the small stuff.

Comment

The only sign that the customer doesnt like the coffee is when they only drink some of it. If its bad I dont drink it - just leave the 2/3 full cup on the table & leave (never to return). I would hope that if a cafe gets enough of those it would be telling them something, but I guess that is probably expecting too much.

Comment

What I really like to see is the scrape marks inside the cup - where the customer has used the spoon to get every last drop of coffee !

Comment

This is exactly how I leave my spoon whether the coffee was good or not. The reason is explained perfectly by Dennis. Simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X