Vietnamese Weasel Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnamese Weasel Coffee

I was in Vietnam recently and took this opportunity to try their weasel coffee.

I don’t know what to think - I went to a number of reputable chains, as well as local businesses. I noticed the roasted beans had a nicer scent compared to the other beans that were on offer. The results were good, but it didnt make me say WOW!

The thing I don’t understand is that this type of coffee seems to be everywhere – which leads me to believe that it’s not actually pooped out of an animal.

Anyways, I managed to find some green beans and I was curious to see if I could do better. The problem is, I don’t know what the green bean is supposed to look like and dont actually know if Ive been duped.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

Different bean shapes and sizes :-/

Rock... or fossilised poo  ;D

Re: Vietnamese Weasel Coffee

Where to begin? I know where to finish... that is the worst green coffee I have ever seen. I use to buy sweep that was recovered from warehouse floors and tractor trailers and it look so much better than that.. to the point that what you show here is barely recognizable as coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 182B242E33150D644A0 link=1323151256/1#1 date=1323151820
      is barely recognizable as coffee
      is has supposedly been pooped out of an animals backside... that would be enough to make me barely recognizable as well... anyone have pictures of green Kopi Luwak or whatever its called to compare?

It does look a bit like pistachios, peanuts, and rabbit droppings... Or a bit like this.

Originally posted by 393A2F29232B263A2B243E394A0 link=1323151256/0#0 date=1323151256
      Does anyone have experience in this area?
      sorry Im opening my mouth without being able to help again!

Comment

Originally posted by 5951595E5452300 link=1323151256/2#2 date=1323152645
        anyone have pictures of green Kopi Luwak or whatever its called to compare?
        I took this photo a few months ago, prior to processing.......no pun intended ;D

Comment

hmmm... interesting.

At least they look like green beans lol.

A couple of things that confuse me about my one:
          1) Looks like they were roasted and dropped well before 1C, although there is an occasional bean that is still green.
          2) different shapes and sizes - perhaps its blended with other weird beans

Comment

specialpants, Im not entirely convinced that your beans are roasted.

Just as a comparison, compare the colour of yours to my Monsoon Malibar.
            You might find that the colour is down to the processing.

Comment

Cheers for the upload. Whats strange for me is that the colour isnt really consistent.

I just did a quick roast and took some photos. Cracking noises were all over the shop. Not too much chaff. It hit rolling 2C in the very early stages of cooling.

Comment

AH! I tried this coffee a few months back! Cant recall which SE Asian country it came from but I recall it being pooped out of a cat (or maybe Civet?). Unfortunately I cant really tell you its true taste because the person who made it for me mixed it with Baileys  Sad You had to get your head around its somewhat unorthodox bean process  Grin Gosh could you imagine being the one recovering the beans?! It could be why it has such a high price tag!$50 per cup in some places?!!! Heard this kind of coffee was a growing thing in New York as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 77444B415C7A620B250 link=1323151256/1#1 date=1323151820
                  that is the worst green coffee I have ever seen
                  You should see the PNG Eastern Highlands Wild
                  http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/491-png-eastern-highland-wilds ;D

The Weasel coffee you get now is nothing like the original "wild" Kopi Luwak. Once upon a time the Weasels ran free and only ate the coffee beans when they were at their peak, or so the legend goes. Now they are kept in cages and fed all sorts of rubbish beans and as a result the coffee is average......

Comment

Originally posted by 3234232832352D2F460 link=1323151256/8#8 date=1323171330
                    Once upon a time the Weasels ran free and only ate the coffee beans when they were at their peak, or so the legend goes. Now they are kept in cages and fed all sorts of rubbish beans and as a result the coffee is average......

That would make so much sense to me since it is such lucrative business in such a poor country. Technically still Kopi Luwak.

Comment

Originally posted by 7D7B6C677D7A6260090 link=1323151256/8#8 date=1323171330
                      Now they are kept in cages and fed all sorts of rubbish beans and as a result the coffee is average......
                      Sadly Trentski you are right.

I have visited several farms that keep the Civets in very small cages and feed them less than the best beans. Its very sad for the animals and defeats the idea of the animals selecting the "best fruit".

All very romantic until money is involved.

Comment

Had no idea the Civets were kept in rough conditions! Would hate to be fed caffine all day and not be able to burn it off  I thought that the coffee had such a high price tag because it the animals were free range.

Comment

Originally posted by 777E602524140 link=1323151256/10#10 date=1323209717
                          I have visited several farms that keep the Civets in very small cages and feed them less than the best beans
                          Youve visited my offices then ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 4B4058434444210 link=1323151256/12#12 date=1323267122
                            Youve visited my offices then
                            The newest thing in coffee.........Kopi JayBee

Comment

Last time I was in Indonesia I was offered kopi luwak by a farmer, he finds it lying around the farm, so not ALL of it comes from animals in cages.  I suspected that AQIS might try to do something dreadful (fumigation at vast expense) if I tried to bring it into the country un-roasted so I declined the offer.   The kopi luwak that I did try there (commercially sourced, the farmers thought that drinking the stuff was a stupid idea) was uniformly dreadful.

Comment

Working...
                              X