Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do many people buy Nespresso?

Hi

I tried a Nespresso coffee once and I wasnt impressed enough to want to buy a Nespresso machine. Ive already got a filtered coffee maker and that seems to make better coffee than the Nespresso coffee I tried.

Im just curious as to the popularity of the Nespresso thang. Do a lot of people buy them? Does any Nespresso machine or capsule come up with a good coffee? Although I cant see myself spending money on one as it is.

Re: Do many people buy Nespresso?

I have a colleague who owns one. Once I started to take beans into work and offer him espressos, hes stopped using it. He walks in and stops off at 9bar on the way for his morning hit, then arrives at work for the second (or third!)..

For me, the above is a complete answer to the question

/Kevin

Comment

I think it goes without saying that taste from any pod just isnt really going to cut it compared to fresh ground and prepared.

However...

It seems to me that they must be gaining popularity pretty rapidly. Walking through a couple of large appliance stores today for the first time in a little while I was taken aback by the amount of pod machines on offer, in one store it was probably 80% pods, 20% standard sunbeams/brevilles.

Stale, expensive and environmentally unfriendly... the way of the future  :

Comment

Advertising. Its all about the advertsing. And George Clooney.
        I notice Phil Di Bella fighting the good fight on late night Brisbane/Gold Coast TV. Good onya Phil.

Before I was introduced to CS, I used a Nespresso when on longer road trips. I saw it as easy and convenient compared to my plunger and moka pot.  I put it in the cupboard when I found it too hard to repack and recycle the pods. Cos that was also when I thought a use-by date was an acceptable criteria. The fact that my nearest two roasters label use-by not roast-date didnt help. (And they still do.)

I consider it part of my coffee education.

Comment

As a Nespresso early adopter (10+ yrs) their biggest plus is consistency although their new machines now focus on convenience. Their old machines used to always refresh the water and not let it sit in the thermoblock. I thought the coffee tasted better.

Still use it at the office to this day. But here is the equation 1 pod = 7.5gram one shot for me now is 18.5gram of fresh ground coffee. You cant compare! I used to drink too much coffee now I cant drink the coffee at the office ;D

Having said that Id rather a Nespresso than some of the so called coffee at some hotels and restaurants!

regards
          JohnT

Comment

Originally posted by 3B3E393F25302422510 link=1325039701/4#4 date=1325102595
            Having said that Id rather a Nespresso than some of the so called coffee at some hotels and restaurants!
            Which is why I take my Aeropress, grinder and jug with me when I travel ;D

Mrs KJM has also ceased to order coffee when out ;D

/Kevin

Comment

hi all... it is surprising how many of my teenage friends have them, i suppose the fuss free factor of having a quick and easy coffee before going to uni is a big plus for them...

even as a amateur CS i could not justify why one would buy one...

i notest a big difference in the taste between the top of the range pod machines and the bottom of the range machines... even when the use the same type of pod...

Comment

Originally posted by 5A565F5F5C5C66544C575A515C4B390 link=1325039701/6#6 date=1325579227
                it is surprising how many of my teenage friends have them

teenagers do dumb reckless things all the time, Its a wonder that they make it into adulthood and youre taking that as a recommendation? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 29252C2C2F2F15273F2429222F384A0 link=1325039701/6#6 date=1325579227
                  the fuss free factor of having a quick and easy coffee
                  This is certainly the big attraction, as far as I can see. My colleague also ran the argument past me that a grinder costs so much, and you can buy a lot of pods for the price of a grinder. (I have to agree! :P)

But the downside was instantly obvious once you did the A/B comparison ;D

/Kevin

Comment

Had my first Nespresso latte the other day. From the point of view of convenience I can understand... However, the quality was terrible. Im sure there was operator issues involved as well. But Id much rather a coffee from even my old EM3600...

Never wish to spend another new years with only nescafe, international roast and dodgy nespresso to choose from... Must take my machine everywhere with me from now on...

Comment

Originally posted by 1336213E336F570 link=1325039701/9#9 date=1325588145
                      Must take my machine everywhere with me from now on...
                      Call me a capitalist, but I sank some money into a second-hand Quaha Nepolitana a year or two back for this very reason. Small enough to take with me to Motels, rellies and to friends places when I visit. Every now and then I contemplate selling it, but then a trip somewhere comes up & it reminds me why I have it.

Even George couldnt tempt me!!! Just as long as Keanu doesnt get a job flogging Moccona, Ill be right! ;D

Comment

Ive got relatives with Nespresso machines and I still have one hidden under the bench awaiting placement on eBay.

For all their evils, they have two things going for them - consistency and a total lack of fuss and mess. For the longest time I lived in an area where good coffee couldnt be had without a longish trip and my own efforts on a Sunbeam Ristretto were laughable.

I could have improved the output of the Sunbeam with a real grinder and fresh beans, but the fact is that the general public (myself at the time included) doesnt even know that theres anything to know about making good coffee, let alone thats necessary to spend hundreds on a grinder before you even have a chance. The predominant feature of most good cafés are the machine, so its assumed that it requires $10K to produce good coffee at home. You dont even have an inkling that theres a possibility of making better coffee at home.

I stumbled across this site by chance - I was looking for refillable Nespresso pods to use with cheap supermarket pre-ground coffee, mainly to save on cost but the environmental impact bothered me also.

Instead, I discovered all this *waves arms about*.

It made me consider a hand grinder and presso and a few other options before I lucked out and found a smart grinder in a garage sale. The Bezzera came a few months later and now I home roast on a KKTO.

Now I know. I can taste the thin-ness and staleness of Nespresso. I miss the rich mouthfeel and lack of nuance in the cup.

But its still better than most average cafés. And some that purport to be more than average.

So I wont ever use my own Nespresso again. But Ill happily drink it at my familys house. Itd be rude to turn my nose up at it, its better than the local café and it reminds me of how good Ive got it.

Plus, I just wander over, pop a pod and its all done. No waiting for the machine to heat up, no fuss, no grinding, no mess, no clean up, no backflushing.

Its not for me anymore, but I still understand the appeal.

Comment

Count me in on the gosh, its so simple team. I visited a friend a few months back when my own roasting skills were deplorable and I tried a variety of different pods. Consistent. No mess. And not bad at all!!! And fast. And no mess... I already said that... it was just so easy!! The cost of it per cup kills me, though. I shamelessly roast to cut my grocery bill...

Comment

Originally posted by 3A3A2A36373B325E0 link=1325039701/12#12 date=1325690509
                            I shamelessly roast to cut my grocery bill...
                            I swear I spend more on coffee now than ever before.. of course if I dont buy anymore greens and just roast the 10+ kg sitting here maybe then Ill come out on top.

My boss loves her Nespresso machine, but while she is a nice person, lazy is a word often used to describe her. Always the easy road over the harder one. I have seen it in action but never tried it. The pods cost 50c ish per pod and give about 25% of the amount of coffee I use in one extraction, so price would have to be an issue surely.

Comment

The pods work out to be about $140 a kilo. They hold 5 grams and cost about $0.70 these days.

Roasted coffee works out to around $35 a kilo or more for the good stuff.

My greens cost me on average $14 a kilo.

Between my wife and I, weve gone from consuming approx 40g a day, were drinking about the same - 2 x 7g shots for us both and 2 x 14g shots for me. 56g, 70g on a heavy day.

So weve gone from coffee supplies costing $168 a month to costing $23.52 per month.

Thats $2016 per year down to $282.24.

My espresso machine and grinder cost me $840 all up. My KKTO cost me about $150 to build.

So my net saving for the first year is about $700. I could have just bought a KKTO and still come out ahead.

Of course that doesnt include power consumption and time. If we counted what I charge myself out at professionally, Im so far behind I could just about hire a personal barista! ;D

But time isnt one of the things we count here, is it? After all, the luxury and the zen process if it all is part of the appeal.

Comment

Working...
                              X