Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffin Break Coffee

Hi,

Was just wondering what everyone thought of muffin breaks coffee. Is it good or bad? Is it dependent on the barista?

Thanks

Re: Muffin Break Coffee

Gday baristajnr,

Their coffee is roasted by one of the Melbourne majors. I wont name them, but many here would know of the identity of the roaster.

As per usual, it depends on the age of the coffee and skill level of the barista. As far as chain coffee goes, I have had better and worse but I cant say Id be seeking them out these days. I guess its all about evolving palates...

Comment

Well we are all told (as employees) that the blend was selected and roasted by Jahnus, a company owned by Foodco, Muffin Breaks owner. Is this a lie?

Originally posted by 055A42545F5458515152525A5659370 link=1326099907/1#1 date=1326100737
      As far as chain coffee goes, I have had better and worse
      Would you say its better or worse than GJs?

Comment

Originally posted by 454542414F5F4242462D0 link=1326099907/2#2 date=1326101041
        Would you say its better or worse than GJs?
        My last experience with MB was pretty terrible... However I recall having one good quality coffee a while back at MB. I find GJs is consistently mediocre... MB has a little more variation...

Comment

Haha thats fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 767671727C6C7171751E0 link=1326099907/4#4 date=1326101986
            Haha thats fair enough.
            In the interests of full discloser however... I usually only go to GJs which I know will give me a "good" GJs coffee. My experiences with MB have been far spread and often when Ive really needed a caffeine hit and nothing else was open...

Comment

Originally posted by 575750535D4D5050543F0 link=1326099907/2#2 date=1326101041
              Well we are all told (as employees) that the blend was selected and roasted by Jahnus, a company owned by Foodco, Muffin Breaks owner. Is this a lie?
              A little browsing led me to a muffin break media release. Jahnus is a NZ mob, but they dont roast in Melbourne. Should allow you to work it out if you want to.

Comment

They use a 5 origin blend which off the top of my head is a south american, indian, PNG, African, columbian. I dont know any more info regarding the beans or ratio. Roast was usually okay though sometimes a bit dark for my liking. The machine was a pain, you had to do pretty accurate flushes or else itd taste very very bitter and without proper realigning of the twin shower screens you could get an uneven water flow out of the group.

Id say it will be totally dependant on who is actually making your coffee. That said dont expect anything brilliant as its not speciality grade coffee.

-former employee

Comment

Originally posted by 417A757E6E681B0 link=1326099907/7#7 date=1326104114
                  Id say it will be totally dependant on who is actually making your coffee.
                  I think this is true of a lot of cafe franchises unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E6B7C636E320A0 link=1326099907/5#5 date=1326102332
                    I usually only go to GJs which I know will give me a "good" GJs coffee.

look a bit closer into the "charity" that GJ supports. Might make you change your view on how palatable their coffee is.....

google gloria jeans religion >

Comment

Originally posted by 6167707B61667E7C150 link=1326099907/9#9 date=1326109008
                      Originally posted by 4E6B7C636E320A0 link=1326099907/5#5 date=1326102332
                      I usually only go to GJs which I know will give me a "good" GJs coffee.

look a bit closer into the "charity" that GJ supports. Might make you change your view on how palatable their coffee is.....

google gloria jeans religion >
                      Wow... Just. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by 3F392E253F3820224B0 link=1326099907/9#9 date=1326109008
                        gloria jeans religion
                        meh. Whats the big deal? Some guys from a church decided to start a coffee shop? Lots of small & large business owners give money to churches & lots of "religious" people work all over the place... or did I miss something?

Comment

Im lost on this. What does Gloria Jeans have to do with religion?

Originally posted by 28776F797279757C7C7F7F777B741A0 link=1326099907/6#6 date=1326103227
                          Jahnus is a NZ mob, but they dont roast in Melbourne. Should allow you to work it out if you want to.
                          cjn can you PM me the details about the roaster? Im fairly new to this.

Comment

Gloria Jeans funded a charity called Mercy Ministeries, a charity run by a pentacostal christian cult or sect called the Hillsong Church, that denies women abortion and safe sex counselling, lie about where donations go, and generally be reactionary fundamentalists. Theyve have had a number of clergy do dodgy things specifically one lied about having cancer so he could prove a miracle.

The Charity was found by the ACCC to be have misled its clients, and ordered to pay 110 of them compensation, on the order of $1000 each from memory. That said, Hillsong are nothing like as scary as the Exclusive Brethren.

Gloria Jeans terminated this funding arrangment in 2008, and now have their own charity called "The With Heart Foundation", which, through Opportunity International, helps support coffee farming kids in Brazil.

Comment

[QUOTE=58585F5C52425F5F5B300 link=1326099907/12#12 date=1326143237] What does Gloria Jeans have to do with religion?
                              You could also ask; what has coffee got to do with religion?
                              I religiously log on to this website and forum.
                              I religiously grind and brew my coffee every morning.
                              I religiously roast at least twice a month, sometimes weekly.
                              Wikipedia partially states; "Some religions place an emphasis on belief, while others emphasize practice. Some religions focus on the subjective experience of the religious individual, while others consider the activities of the religious community to be most important."
                              Dont know about you, but I can see the similarity!  ;D

Seriously though, its up to ones conscious. Are you happy knowing your money is supporting a "religion" that quote "mentally rapes" helpless and desperate women?
                              Read the articles associated with trentskis google suggestion and then decide/act.

Hypothetically; Would you shop at a business that you knew financially supported Ugandas treatment of its people?

Conscious choice made on knowledge gained.

Comment

Working...
                              X