Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rice Test (or check) a no mess alternative to the 5 cents test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rice Test (or check) a no mess alternative to the 5 cents test.

Hi All. Just thought Id share with you my method of finding the right tamp level for any given machine. Its not as precise as the 5 cents test obviously because it wont let you know the correct dose in gms for ground coffee but it will give you the level you should be tamping to.

Its worked for me so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzmcM2AUS0

Re: The Rice Test (or check) a no mess alternative to the 5 cents test.

Very good [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

KK

Comment

Hey, a very similar looking guy already discovered that http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1315922389/180#180 oh wait.. thats you!

Comment

Hehe...yeh. I remember that thread. That was when i came up with the idea. ;D

Comment

Hi saoye, can I put this on my blog?

I think its a brilliant thing

Comment

Nice one saoye,

Will give that a go.

Gary at G

Comment

Rice one.............

Comment

Oh, Mono, dont make me hit the Mod delete button for bad puns... ;D

What a great idea, Saoye, love it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers
                Di

Comment

Originally posted by 5F444D5C495F44454A58495E2C0 link=1327631793/4#4 date=1327820683
                  Hi saoye, can I put this on my blog?

I think its a brilliant thing

Hi Shapeshifter. Yeh no problem. Thats why I shared. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 3C262B2A382E363C3C4F0 link=1327631793/5#5 date=1327828628
                    Nice one saoye,

Will give that a go
                    Let me know how you go GG.

Originally posted by 022021204F0 link=1327631793/6#6 date=1327831568
                    Rice one.............
                    Play rice mono! 

Comment

Originally posted by 7E594F5D45360 link=1327631793/7#7 date=1327834136
                      Oh, Mono, dont make me hit the Mod delete button for bad puns
                      Sorry........ :-[ . A moment of madness

Originally posted by 4557594F53360 link=1327631793/9#9 date=1327836368
                      Play rice mono!
                      Um........ ;D

Ooops......I suppose this is getting off topic now. Seriously, great Idea and I will try it on Junior soon.

Steve.

Comment

Just a heads up for the Rancilio Silvia owners, the 5 cents test does not work for most Silvias because of the protruding hex nut in the middle (unless youve done the modifications to have a flat screen nut - Im not sure if theyve since changed this or not to be standard).

The Rice method WILL work however so its a plus for Silvia owners everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by 77656B7D61040 link=1327631793/11#11 date=1327894031
                          Just a heads up for the Rancilio Silvia owners, the 5 cents test does not work for most Silvias because of the protruding hex nut in the middle (unless youve done the modifications to have a flat screen nut
                          Works fine with Silvia, just move the 5 cent piece to one side of the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by 0D31382035540 link=1327631793/12#12 date=1327894855
                            Works fine with Silvia, just move the 5 cent piece to one side of the screw
                            I guess that makes sense. ;D As long as the level of the tamp was perfectly straight. Being at the peripheral makes it critical to have a perfectly flat tamp or you will get an uneven indentation, but then thats also a good way to show if youre tamping straight or not

Comment

I tried this and found I was filling the basket a bit too much - great stuff to work out correct level.

I did it again today using cous cous ( iPad wants to call this cows cows) and its even better as the grains are smaller and its easier to fine tune the amount of grains.

I have made a black line on the Pullman at the correct level ( removed the handle and put a 6mm screw into my drill) with a fine  permanent marker: if it works out as good as I think I will post some pics...

Comment

Working...
                              X