Espresso extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espresso extraction

There has been few questions lately from my fellow barista whether or not to elevate or raise the cup when extracting espresso shot. Would someone please give opinions. Many thanks.

Jim

Re: Espresso extraction

Hi Jim & welcome to CS. My opinion for its worth would be that the only possible reason I could see for doing so would be to minimise the espressos time in contact with the air...........but why? perhaps to minimise the cooling effect or the oxidising effect?? of the airs contact by a poofteenth fraction :-/

Steve

Comment

Ive been under the impression that its done purely to limit the splash of the espresso as it hits the cup. Less distance to fall, less splatter. Also if the espresso falls a long way it will leave big air bubbles in the crema which look terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by 765455543B0 link=1329210817/1#1 date=1329258137
        Hi Jim & welcome to CS. My opinion for its worth would be that the only possible reason I could see for doing so would be to minimise the espressos time in contact with the air...........but why? perhaps to minimise the cooling effect or the oxidising effect?? of the airs contact by a poofteenth fraction  :-/

Steve
        Originally posted by 615A555E4E483B0 link=1329210817/2#2 date=1329260866
        Ive been under the impression that its done purely to limit the splash of the espresso as it hits the cup. Less distance to fall, less splatter. Also if the espresso falls a long way it will leave big air bubbles in the crema which look terrible.
        Hi Steve, thanks. I didnt think of that which actually quite makes sense.

The less splatter Im agree with that, but apart from that, I dont see any other reason too.

Comment

Its so there is less exposure to the toxic elements in the air.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 05302725152D302F232E26420 link=1329210817/4#4 date=1329520081
            Its so there is less exposure to the toxic elements in the air.

Greg
            ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Can you taste the difference?

Barry

Comment

I usually allow the crema to flow down the side of the cup/mug/glass etc..

Comment

Working...
                X