Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early dark drops - Why?

Hi,

Once in a while when pulling a shot I notice a few dark drops of extract very early in the shot (only a few seconds into the shot).  At this point Id expect the pressure on the group is still building.  Normally the first drop of extract start at around 7ish seconds.  Although I havent seen this behavior for a while of friend of mine with a similar machine (NS Oscar) seems to get it quite commonly.

Any ideas of the cause?

Cheers

Re: Early dark drops - Why?

I get this too. I think it could be fine particles of coffee getting pushed through the basket/puck. I do end up with a bit of very fine coffee grain at the bottom of my cup.

Comment

whens the last time you changed the seal? might not be a tight fit?

Comment

I dont think its related to fines, but it may well be related to the grind setting??

I better clarify.  The early drops come out of the normal spout (not out of the sides). My first thought was that they were due to residue water in the group handle (under the basket), but thats not the case. 
        Like I said it hasnt happened for a while now, but I thought it would be nice to know why it happens.

So most of the time - pour is nice and thick and starts 5-7ish secs after hitting button.
        But sometimes for an unknown reason - the pour starts VERY early with thin dark drips.. it when then revert to a normal looking pour around the 5-7sec mark.

Calling all experts

Comment

After talking to my friend that gets this alot it seems that he overdoses quite a bit. Ive asked him to lower his dose and see how it goes. Come to think of it since I corrected (down) my dose I havent seen this phenomenon - could be on to something.

Comment

do you insert the empty handle after each extraction and flush out the group head - if not could be a build up of stuff in there trying to get out!

Comment

It happens (apparently) even when the handle is completely dry.

Comment

My machine did this for a while, You could see almost black drops initially in the entire bottom of the basket (naked handle), which quickly turned normal colour. Its stopped now, but was thinking what it was.

Cheers

Comment

This happens to me if i dont flush out the group head first...

Comment

Hi askthecoffeeguy,

Thanks for all the advice. Do you mean flush out stuff from the group handle (i.e. the area under the basket) or in the group head itself (i.e. above the shower screen)?
                    I always do a clean-out/cooling flush before pulling a shot. Generally Ill do this without the handle attached. Not sure about my friend.

Thanks

Comment

My machine always needs a cooling flush, I backflush after each session, and I am using a naked handle, the cause wouldnt be "dirt" in my case.

Cheers

Comment

Good to know artman. Definitely eliminates the water in the handle explanation.

These dark drops must be produced while the coffee bed is being settled and pressurized, perhaps caused by poor distribution?

Comment

I wouldnt say so in my case, I have been very consistent with my technique, and noticed them one day, then after a while noticed them gone. In hind sight, didnt think to check if it was a particular bean type though, maybe that was it?

Cheers

Comment

artman,

Yeah Im very careful with my technique as well.  I would hope it was something as shameful as poor distribution 

One thing I was doing around that time was slightly over-dosing.  I have ridged baskets and the optimum coffee level my machine is just below the ridge.  I used to often dose into the ridge and this would often cause a pit to form on the edge of the puck (Im guess from excessive pressure). Perhaps it was related to this...

Comment

If you end up with a great crema and coffee, why does anything need to be wrong or have been caused by something you felt may not have been done correctly? 

Comment

Working...
                              X