Stones in commercial roasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stones in commercial roasts?

So whilst I was in Melbourne last weekend I picked up a bag of beans roasted from SS at BBB, they are one of my favorite roasters who come up with some seriously funky roasts.

So Luckily tonight I spotted a small asteroid size stone in the shot of beans I was about to dump into my grinder, the size of this one would of done some damage that is for sure.

Im just wondering if I should let them know about it? Im not sure of their sorting process whether they have a de-stoner or not but a $12 bag of beans would of cost me at least a new set of burrs not to mention it would take me ages to run the burrs in as I only go through 1kg a month.

Ive only encountered one stone in my home roasts in a bag of mexican and the size of that was a 10th of that stone.

Re: Stones in commercial roasts?

Ouch!
    It wouldnt do any harm to let them know in a nice (calm) way!
    If I was them, I would like to know if that happened

Comment

Looks like someone isnt using a destoner or something is wrong with their destoner.

That is typical of rubbish found in the coffee, that should be removed by the destoner in a professional roasterie, and by the way it isnt actually a "stone", it is a  piece of compressed mud from the green coffee processing. Hit it lightly with a hammer and it will pulverise back to dirt.....that one would probably go through your grinder without a hitch, but the thing is what if it had been a real stone or other material we get coming out at the destoner.

A small sample below

Comment

Its always a good idea to let your roaster know what you have experienced. There may be an issue with their destoner that they may not know about. If they dont have a destoner, it may inspire them to think about getting one.

Good roasters always appreciate feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by 102433253E09153930303333560 link=1331109700/2#2 date=1331160462
          A small sample below
          OMG

Comment

Originally posted by 526671677C4B577B72727171140 link=1331109700/2#2 date=1331160462
            A small sample below
            Dont you hate it when the coffee-cherry pickers forget to separate the screws from the cherries! :

Comment

you were correct about it being compressed mud, hard to tell because it feels like a solid piece of stone in the fingers, smacked it with my pestle and it crumbled, would of been fine in the grinder but I wouldnt want to taste the mud with a good shot of espresso.

Im amazed by the things in that bowl

I havent had a reply from the roasted whether they use a destoner or not.

Comment

thats very much par for the course from the quality high grown coffees we roast. Imagine what comes out of low quality stuff where the processing doesnt need to be so good.

Better than it used to be, in the old days we used to get a lot of cigarette butts from cigies sold in the third world, but we dont get them anymore, also dont get coins or money any more......

Comment

I havent purchased roasted coffee for some years now but always make it part of my routine to check the beans after roasting (actually its my wifes job to check them ;D )

Some are a lot worse than others. I have found that the Yemen tends to have a fair bit of inclusions.

Comment

Ive yet to see any stones in the beans that come from beanbay, but I am slightly worried that I might get an inclusion thatd destroy the burrs on my grinder...

I figured that most inclusions will be sandy/light coloured post-roast, but that batch of things from the destoner worry me.

Is there anything to look out for to visually check to make sure that the roast is free of detritus?

Comment

Ive caught the odd piece here and there. The Yemen a couple of years ago came with a more vocal than usual warning as it did tend to have a bit more non-coffee in it than your other beans.

I usually cast my over over the greens when weighing and the dumped roast when cooling and stirring. Found a few small stones or compressed mud, corn kernels, string etc. Only ever seen one stone that would have potentially hurt the grinder. It was a blueish piece of stone about the size of a bean and very solid.

Its just a good habit to get into to check your greens and beans that you roast.

Purchased roasted beans would hopefully have all gone via a de-stoner, but I have not bought any for a long time myself.

Brett.

Comment

Ive only ever had one stone (that ive spotted anyway) which was in a bag of CS greens. Andy does give fair warning being a raw product so im always on the lookout

The odd bit of string in the beans from the cotton bags but otherwise stone free for me

Comment

With the small batch sizes I assume you are all roasting at home, it shouldnt be a problem to spread each batch out on a flat surface and cast a very careful eye.

I roasted a couple of 70 gram samples this morning, no problem & very easy to handle with regard to checking for "stones".

The sample in the photograph has to be taken in context. It has been collected over a large quantity of beans, and these days I only pick out and throw in the most interesting finds! You could probably roast 2 or 3 tons of high grade coffee and only get that much rubbish.....

That said, you only need one genuine stone or nail to muck things up pretty badly for you.....

Also consider this. The start up cost on a small low end roasting machine is somewhere under 20 thou. The cost of an add on stand alone destoner at somewhere around say 5 thou can then seem to be very expensive in the scheme of things to newcomers trying to break into the industry.

But without a destoner, theyre in big trouble.

So in terms of newcomers wanting to break into the industry in a metro area, I would say the real cost of their start up equipment needs to include a destoner as well as a suitable afterburner. It then starts to look (rightly) a little more daunting.

Comment

Wow, now im super paranoid about the beans that im pouring into my grinder. Pouring veery slowly and checking any suspicious looking ones...Thanks guys!

Comment

I always check my eans before I roast but Ive seen stones that look exactly like beans so Im sure ill miss one one day.

DiBella in Melbourne have a big glass jar on display full of stones they have rescued from their coffee roaster

Comment

Working...
                              X