Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

    Firstly sorry if this is an old topic, I looked and could not find it else where.
    I just got a Rancilio Silvia, we are slowly getting to know each other better.
    My only issue with it is that it is about 2 inches to low, most mugs i have dont fit. I have it on a block for the texturing jug.
    I was talking with someone and they thought a Naked Portafilter would fix this issue.
    What are peoples thoughts I like the idea of them. Are there any big down sides.
    Peace.

  • #2
    Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

    Originally posted by 4B464B5A5D481918290 link=1333022794/0#0 date=1333022794
    Are there any big down sides.
    Peace.
    You cant use a double to pour into two separate cups? I love my naked pf. It does mean you can see every flaw in the shot. Even the little evidences of channelling that dont really affect the taste of the shot. But on the plus side. It encourages you to perfect your technique. =)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

      Check this out: http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction-common-problems.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

        Thanks David
        I dont use the 2 separate cups very often and i figure that I will still have my other one if need be.
        Do you only use the NP?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

          Originally posted by 7C594E515C00380 link=1333022794/2#2 date=1333024084
          Check this out: http://www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction-common-problems.html
          Wow awesome site thanks.
          This looks sweet

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

            Originally posted by 5E535E4F485D0C0D3C0 link=1333022794/3#3 date=1333025455
            Thanks David
            I dont use the 2 separate cups very often and i figure that I will still have my other one if need be.
            Do you only use the NP?
            I converted my single spout handle to a double. I still have the double, but it currently has a blind basket in it. So yeah, I only use my naked pf. And just take the coffee strong. =)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

              Hmmm dont think you mean two inches bobsta1. Thats a big distance for most most coffee machines  unless your jug block is on the drip tray and your mugs are on the block too.

              Ive got some very big mugs and they are 8-10mm too high to just slide under.

              Naked will give you lots more space and theoretically allow you to improve your pour. Ive archived mine for now as my wife doesnt care for it and using multiple pfs on a single group is problematic.

              Here are some suggestions while you decide on a naked or not.
              You could remove the pf  spouts. Maybe replace with short spouts if you want two cups to pour or like the look. Spoutless pfs arent as pretty.

              Or tilt your mug. If you are steaming milk you presumably arent drinkng long blacks. Even then tilting works for me and long blacks in a mug.

              Or remove the drip tray grate, sit the mug in the drip tray, wipe the mugs bum when done. Ive been using this method because its easy to clean the drip tray every coffee/set of coffees. Ive made it part if my routine. Sometimes I hold the mug above any mess if Im feeling fussy. It is only 30sec or so. Mind you two mugs at once could be a challenge.

              Ive used all these methods but settled on the simplest (I  think). Wife favours a simple tilt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                Originally posted by 7A777A6B6C792829180 link=1333022794/0#0 date=1333022794
                Firstly sorry if this is an old topic, I looked and could not find it else where.
                I just got a Rancilio Silvia, we are slowly getting to know each other better.
                My only issue with it is that it is about 2 inches to low, most mugs i have dont fit. I have it on a block for the texturing jug.
                I was talking with someone and they thought a Naked Portafilter would fix this issue.
                What are peoples thoughts I like the idea of them. Are there any big down sides.
                Peace.
                Well just measured mine the height on mine with standard PF 87mm  with naked PF 120mm. Fits a mug nicely.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                  Thanks Dabbler,
                  I currently have the machine on a fat chopping board (about 2cm think) this helps a lot with the texturing. The wand seems a little short, but then again its probably more the case that my jug is to big for 1 coffee and i should invest in a smaller jug.
                  I am currently doing as you are with taking the drip tray out, it is a good reminder to keep it clean and seems to be working well.
                  And you are right 2 inches is a lot i think 2 cm is far more what i am after.
                  Thanks for the info cruza, good to know!!

                  I think I am still going to go with the Naked PF, I like that it will help me pour better shots and make sure Im not getting lazy.
                  Keep the thoughts coming tho.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                    Just for the record:

                    Originally posted by 5F5A5959575E493B0 link=1333022794/6#6 date=1333027555
                    Spoutless pfs arent as pretty.
                    I disagree. I much prefer naked pfs. Or maybe I prefer the look of shots from a naked pf. Either way, I think npfs look better. But thats just my opinion.

                    You could always buy a naked pf direct, that way you keep your double and single and solve all problems? See bottom of page: http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/domestic-parts/machines/rancilio-silvia-09-baskets

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                      Originally posted by 0B2E39262B774F0 link=1333022794/9#9 date=1333067531
                      Just for the record:

                      Originally posted by 5F5A5959575E493B0 link=1333022794/6#6 date=1333027555
                      Spoutless pfs arent as pretty.
                      I disagree. I much prefer naked pfs. Or maybe I prefer the look of shots from a naked pf. Either way, I think npfs look better. But thats just my opinion.

                      You could always buy a naked pf direct, that way you keep your double and single and solve all problems? See bottom of page: http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/domestic-parts/machines/rancilio-silvia-09-baskets
                      Ha David8. Not quite what I meant. Should have said pfs with spouts removed compared to untouched pfs.... (as in the context of the para).

                      Seriously though - can less chrome actually be better ? I think youre just into the pours.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                        Originally posted by 656063636D6473010 link=1333022794/10#10 date=1333069405
                        Ha David8. Not quite what I meant. Should have said pfs with spouts removed compared to untouched pfs.... (as in the context of the para).

                        Seriously though - can less chrome actually be better ? I think youre just into the pours.
                        Ah I see. That makes a lot more sense, and I agree with you now. And yes, I am into the pours. But with pours like reply #156 and #160 here: coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1197068083/150. Can you really blame me? The fifth photo from reply #156 is actually my iphone background.

                        David

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                          The look of the crema pouring out of the Naked PF is a thing of beauty that is for sure!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                            Originally posted by 030E031215005150610 link=1333022794/12#12 date=1333077312
                            The look of the crema pouring out of the Naked PF is a thing of beauty that is for sure!

                            Sure is.

                            Another benefit of the naked pf that I dont think has been mentioned is how easy it is to keep clean. The spouts dont get all gunky will coffee oils. Which can contaminate your shot...

                            Even more reasons to go with a naked pf.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rancilio Silvia Naked Portafilter

                              David Good point looks like im sold on it unless someone want to talk me out of it??

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X