The Good Old Sugar in Coffee Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Old Sugar in Coffee Debate

I think I am now at the stage where I am happy with what I do, I am fussy enough that I rarely order coffee at cafes now unless I know of them from on here etc.
    I find that when you make non coffee snobs an espresso with the care and passion we all have, they really like it, they arent sure why, they just know its better than what they get in most shops. If you were to make them an espresso with supermarket beans in an auto machine they would probably still be happy enough.
    When we have people over the first thing I do is ask, do you have sugar in your coffee? If they answer is yes, then they dont get the good stuff ;D
    We had a friend from the school our kids go to come around for a coffee one morning, their comment on seeing the Expobar was "why didnt you buy an automatic", alrighty then, here we go. I served up a double shot espresso with some "wow, that milk turned out great". The only comment I got was "that was too strong", what can you do?

Re: The Good Old Sugar in Coffee Debate

Originally posted by 182723083B2B29214E0 link=1333722322/2#2 date=1333753346
    Ill use it for those guests who take two sugars with their coffee and reserve the Minore for me and the mrs.
    Are you suggesting that if you take sugar you cant be a coffeesnob?

Comment

Whoops, I better hand in my mod shirt!!! 

Cheers
      Di

(who has dropped around $10k over five years now on coffee equipment & paraphenalia, roasts her own coffee, owns coffee trees and still has two sugars in her latte!!!)

(And I think people that like seafood and drink beer have their taste buds in their butts, but its all just a matter of individual tastes, eh?)

Comment

Originally posted by 69607E3B3A0A0 link=1333722322/6#6 date=1333784500
        Originally posted by 182723083B2B29214E0 link=1333722322/2#2 date=1333753346
        Ill use it for those guests who take two sugars with their coffee and reserve the Minore for me and the mrs.
        Are you suggesting that if you take sugar you cant be a coffeesnob?
        Would you mix a fine scotch whiskey with Pepsi?
        Of course there is no right or wrong for sugar in coffee, its personal taste, just seems odd to me the lengths people go to for extracting all the delicate, subtle flavours coffee can have to cover them up with sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E71755E6D7D7F77180 link=1333722322/8#8 date=1333799586
          Would you mix a fine scotch whiskey with Pepsi?
          Hmm, I think that analogy is not quite right. In any case, when I want to taste the delicate and subtle flavours and characteristics of the coffee beans I drink an espresso (usually the first shot of a new lot of beans,or as the fresh roasted beans mature Id take an espresso shot at different stages), but 1 out of 2 coffees I have is a latte and sometimes I have half a teaspoon of sugar with that.  I also find sometimes adding sugar to the latte also highlights certain characteristics of the beans.
          Some people are naturally sweet toothed but it doesnt mean they do not appreciate coffee.

Comment

At the risk of being pummeled I have to agree with Vim.

I consider two things

1. All your tasting is the sugar. Its amazing when you go cold turkey on sugar and what it tastes like after say two weeks, personally tatstes disgusting.

2. Most people have enough sugar in their diet without adding it to their drinks.

P.s. Just got back from Italy and besides having some of the best and worst! coffee I have tasted several places put sugar in without asking!. Crazy Italians

Comment

Oh dear, here we go again with the sugar no sugar rubbish.
              Its been done countless times before, usually kicked off by some self righteous buffoon on a soap box declaring sugar is the great Satan, and all who use it are philistines who must be shown the error of their ways.
              Its a pointless argument, the person on the box needs to understand that many prefer sugar in their coffee, end of story, and no amount of lecturing/berating is going to change that fact.
              To be honest my feeling is that rightly or wrongly, the anti sugar people are the ones that are out of step with the community at large.
              Step down off your soap box and attempt to comprehend the fact that many of us prefer sugar with our coffee, yes, I know Ive repeated myself, but sometimes things need to be said more than once to have any chance of the message getting through.

Comment

Well said Jon, tastes are as individual as the human race, so it makes this a pointless arguement, sugar or no sugar, who cares, get back to more important things like drinking coffee the way you want, and not worry how others want to drink it.

Comment

Lets keep this civil and leave off the personal attacks shall we.

Java "Dont make me pull the car over!" phile
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Sugar in the plunger coffee, no sugar in the espresso lattes.

Comment

So my wife is a philistine ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 795C4B54596A0C040B0D3D0 link=1333764368/10#10 date=1333881481
                        So my wife is a philistine
                        Interesting. Goliath was a Philistine and your name is David

Comment

Sugar / no-sugar debate...
                          ...do whats right for you. I have always said "Ill have sugar and milk in bad coffee" but I also understand that many people just like it that way. Thats fine by me too.

I must admit I do get a kick when a 2 sugar coffee drinker gets halfway through one of my coffees before they ask "does this have sugar?"
                          8-)

Originally posted by 7C6D7272693130080 link=1333764368/9#9 date=1333879256
                          Sugar in the plunger coffee, no sugar in the espresso lattes
                          Thats interesting. Most (as you can see above) are in the sugar or no-sugar camp.

Have you tried a corser grind for your plunger and a shorter brew time before plunging? Maybe its the method thats making your plunger coffee more bitter and needing sugar?

Comment

Originally posted by 586763487B6B69610E0 link=1333764368/0#0 date=1333764367
                            When we have people over the first thing I do is ask, do you have sugar in your coffee? If they answer is yes, then they dont get the good stuff  ;D
                            Good on you!

"The only comment I got was "that was too strong", what can you do?"

If they think its too strong, theyre too weak ,- )

Comment

Originally posted by 272C362D37282A23440 link=1333764368/5#5 date=1333842100
                              1. All your tasting is the sugar. Its amazing when you go cold turkey on sugar and what it tastes like after say two weeks, personally tatstes disgusting.
                              Refined white which is what most people use doesnt actually impart taste as much as it does a sensation on your palate ie of the front of your tongue, just as acidity does the same thing to the sides of your tongue and bitterness the back of the tongue.

Comment

Working...
                              X