What keeps me awake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What keeps me awake

The thing that keeps me awake at night, is - Does Al Pacino REALLY know coffee?

Re: What keeps me awake

The thing that keeps me awake at night, is - what will Al Pacino do if he finds out Im not drinking his brand ?

Comment

Originally posted by 0A373B3321580 link=1333942695/0#0 date=1333942695
      Does Al Pacino REALLY know coffee?
      Al probably knows no more about coffee than George Clooney.

Barry.

Comment

The ad is set in NYC, pretty sure Al is from NYC. Anyone who has been to NYC knows there is some really good coffee shops there, so, I think he knows coffee.

Comment

Youd think Al would have access to the best wouldnt you. Its the brand hes flogging that raises the doubt in my mind. Why (apart from money - of which Al would have plenty) would you want to be the public face of that brand.

Comment

Originally posted by 003D31392B520 link=1333942695/4#4 date=1334285959
            Youd think Al would have access to the best wouldnt you. Its the brand hes flogging that raises the doubt in my mind.  Why (apart from money - of which Al would have plenty) would you want to be the public face of that brand.

Dont be too quick to dismiss "that" brand. I have had some quite a few better than average coffees on that brand, even some good ones. I would rather be the face of others, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by 6D52567D4E5E5C543B0 link=1333942695/3#3 date=1334149104
              The ad is set in NYC, pretty sure Al is from NYC. Anyone who has been to NYC knows there is some really good coffee shops there, so, I think he knows coffee.
              So living in a city that is good at something makes you an expert on that something does it? ;D

Comment

It was never my intention to bag a particular brand of coffee - obviously we all look for slightly different characteristics in our coffee. Its just that it is such an in your face ad. Famous & much-loved actor speaking so unequivocally about his expertise and the brand of coffee. It seems to be trying to pitch the brand at an inappropriately high level when its real niche is more at the Hotel coffee level.

Comment

Originally posted by 774A464E5C250 link=1333942695/7#7 date=1334548822
                  It seems to be trying to pitch the brand at an inappropriately high level when its real niche is more at the Hotel coffee level.
                  I doubt whether advertising executives might agree with your truth in advertising stance.
                  "Try our coffee - it isnt top notch but you might like it. It is endorsed by a highly paid celebrity who we are pretending knows something about coffee because he has an Italian name. Well he reckons hes drank some pretty decent coffee too as he lives in NYC"

Comment

Im pretty sure that Al Pacino knows coffee, Early morning shoots are made for it, Hed be able to recognise the smell of the bean everywhere he goes. Im pretty sure that most of the American (if not the world) knows the smell of coffee brewing

Problem is, Hes an Actor, He says what hes paid to say. its also why I dont believe the Clooney Ads. They make lots of money pretending to be something.

Even if hes a snob and seeks out the best coffee, Hes still paid to make an endorsement of this international brand, Id imagine he, Like us, would prefer the smaller Batch-roasters over the huge world wide coffee production roasters. However, they wouldnt have the money to hire him, and it would be a waste of money to hire him for a niche market area. :

Comment

Originally posted by 2325323923243C3E570 link=1333942695/6#6 date=1334311076
                      So living in a city that is good at something makes you an expert on that something does it? ;D
                      apparently it does, if you believe most of the Victorian contestants on reality tv cooking shows  :

Comment

Originally posted by 3F35203737382C2A590 link=1333942695/8#8 date=1334549881
                        Well he reckons hes drank some pretty decent coffee too as he lives in NYC"
                        Ha, the words decent coffee and NYC should never be uttered in the same breath, their coffee is generally dismal. :P

Comment

Originally posted by 063A332B3E5F0 link=1333942695/11#11 date=1335333238
                          Originally posted by 3F35203737382C2A590 link=1333942695/8#8 date=1334549881
                          Well he reckons hes drank some pretty decent coffee too as he lives in NYC"
                          Ha, the words decent coffee and NYC should never be uttered in the same breath, their coffee is generally dismal. :P
                          That was kind of the thought that was lingering in the back of my mind. Some people are very nostalgic about the things they were brought up with - e.g. "strong bitter coffee reminds me of my youth", or "Tripe and onions takes me back to when I was a kid". Im not one of those people and I never feel nostalgic about things that I now recognise as very substandard. I was thinking that maybe Al was thinking about all the bad American coffee he had in NYC as a young man.
                          I have a friend who boils the crap out of stale grind in a coffee pot similar to what you see the cowboys use on the campfire in Westerns, and it obviously taps into some deep river of nostalgia for him.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D606C64760F0 link=1333942695/12#12 date=1335752623
                            "Tripe and onions takes me back to when I was a kid".
                            Nothing wrong with tripe and onions in white sauce, takes me back to........ : forget about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X