Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Grey Nomad

Hi all
    Wifey and I are becoming Grey Nomads and are extremely concerned about our coffee addiction.

We have a Vibiemme and a Mazzer mini and use good fresh beans at home but in a caravan the set up is quite impractical. Someone suggested a Nespresso machine with the sealed coffee pods are quite good but the machines are $350 or so, too much to make a mistake on. I like the idea of no mess with quick clean disposal of the pods though.

Any suggestions about a good coffee option at a reasonable price that is easy to maintain and not too messy?
    Cheers & thanks.

Re: Becoming a Grey Nomad

Lelit Combi? Fairly no mess with the grinder dosing straight into the portafilter cleanly (with a cup funnel). I take it with me on more overnight road trips. Only 10kg or there abouts and produces as good an espresso as my Giotto. Steam power is ok for one or two lattes but thats the limit. Small foot print too.

Comment

Originally posted by 6C7E70667A1F0 link=1338857550/1#1 date=1338858081
      Lelit Combi? Fairly no mess with the grinder dosing straight into the portafilter cleanly (with a cup funnel).  I take it with me on more overnight road trips.  Only 10kg or there abouts and produces as good an espresso as my Giotto.  Steam power is ok for one or two lattes but thats the limit.  Small foot print too.
      Thanks saoye
      I had a look at it on the web and it looks like a very good unit. It looks as though it might be a bit of overkill for a caravan and except for the built in grinder, its not too different from my current setup.

Because we wont be in caravan parks with access to water most of time the unit really needs to be very simple to clean without much water. I tend to use quite a few litres of water cleaning my existing set up which wouldnt be possible out bush.

If possible I would like something smaller and less weighty. Maybe something like that doesnt exist?
      I really like the idea of pods with fresh coffee because theres no mess.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Hi SG,

Sorry - this is not answering your question at all but were thinking ahead to a Grey Nomad future and have just started looking at caravans. One of our requirements is that the kitchen needs to have sufficient bench space for a Silvia and Mazzer. (This probably should be in the "You know youre a coffeesnob when..." thread  : )

Weve only found one likely candidate so far...

As the time gets closer, I dare say reality will set in after we start weighing the vans proposed contents and well explore similar options to yours.

Comment

a) You really cant beat a stove top espresso "moka" pot (also sometimes known as a bialetti)

b) Aeropress

Both simple and easy to use for good results as well as very small.

There are slightly more fiddly units also that cost a lot more money, but the above are good as well as cheap (so just right for CoffeeSnobs  ;D  ;D  ;D )

My opinion, KISS. When I travel, I curtail the habits that I partake of when at home, even when the travelling is long term (well, 5 weeks for me is long term, and plungers and other methods like the above suffice).

Comment

Hi Attilio,

Weve owned a pair of stainless Bialettis for about 10 years and have never managed to really enjoy what they produce. Probably because Ive never really persisted with learning what techniques are required to get the best out of them so thats something Ill pursue.

They look nice, though.

Comment

Know what you mean.

Upgrade them to the standard aluminium type, they are light years better. Wont go into why.

Then "learn" them, and they are your friend for life.

Comment

I think Ive got one of the aluminium ones tucked away somewhere as well. Youve got me interested now - more research is needed.

Ive got a Tranquilo grinder which is not being used so that should be good for testing.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Since we are talking small and simple maybe also carry the Vietnamese coffee drip for something different. Strong coffee. condense milk makes everything tasty even stale preground if youre not bringing with you a grinder

Comment

Nothing wrong with the tranquillo as a "travel" grinder. Much cheaper than the MM (all round not just in $) but its grind quality should be the same (please no arguments...I do this for a living ).

It will help you to make excellent coffee with whatever you take away.

Comment

Have you considered the Mypressi Twist & hand (Porlex) Grinder. ?
                      The Mypressi site has a very good demo.

I have not tried it, but many reviews have commented on its shot quality.

If you need textured milk, i have had great success with a Bodum milk frother jug .

EDIT:
                      I intended to add...my preferred travel option is the Moka pot .. but some practice /patience is needed to get the best results

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback and Im looking all these things up, but please feel free to continue to offer your two bobs worth.

The point is here that I know were going to take a hit with coffee quality, I dont expect to achieve anything like what I get at home.

But... and its a BIG BUT, when free camping for a couple of weeks without access to power or water, one has to protect their resources. I dont want to be drawing a heap of power or using a lot of water for clean-up etc.

Maybe I inferred that we wanted premium coffee while away when what I meant was, that in the interest of practicality, and protecting limited resources, that we just want the best we can as simple and clean as possible.

Comment

I would consider a Bacchi for your travels see prevoius posts http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1333781070/1#1

Comment

If youve got the patience to learn how to use it a La Pavoni Europiccola makes very good coffee and is quite small.

Comment

Hi Shotgun

As others have suggested ... a Moka pot. Id also add in a plunger machine and an Ibrik for turkish coffee. When travelling around those three machines will give you a nice variety of coffees. We tend to like a Moka pot in the morning and a plunger in the evening or a turkish coffee with a touch of sugar.

Also I have found that the aluminium Moka pots make better coffee than the stainless steel ones - I still dont know why.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X