Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Water water filters

Hi all,

Was contacted by the Pure Water company a mob in Queensland I believe.

And on answering a survey I have won a free bench top filter system. The catch I need to buy one of there filters.

The filter is $100 and rated for one year, Im due for a new filter soon so I may just take it but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight into it.

The filter is as follows:

CC1E-HT 0.4 Micron

Commercial non-sponsor link removed

What you think?

Re: Pure Water water filters

Does not really sound like a great deal to tell you the truth.

contact the sponsor bombora , they have virtually the same filter for $59.95 and offer the filter with the benchtop unit for $99 or an even better option is the benchtop system with a 5 micron softening filter for $110, grab some TH test strips and see the difference. Its probably the best non plumped filter solution for most home users and just a basic test using the softening filter vs tap water in my kettle the scale reduction is huge.

Sounds like a marketing ploy at its best

Comment

Water for Espresso or Brewed coffee is different to nice tasting water to drink. Keeping scale in check is as much important as anything. The filter you have been offered wont do that.

The domestic water filtration industry is worse than buying used cars. Blatant lies and pseudo science abound along with overpriced under performing products to boot. Think Snake oil of medicine man shows and your getting close. The couple of sponsors here do however know their stuff.

The things you need to sort out are does the water taste ok already? If so then maybe a pre filter followed by a carbon filter then topped off with a softener cartridge if required. But water supplies vary dramatically across Australia.

Currently I am running a pumped Reverse Osmosis plant with prefiltration which gets me to around 40PPM TDS which is great for Espresso (could be a touch higher) but it tastes flat if I am making brewed so I have a remineralization cartridge I am playing with to make a shandy of sorts and get back up to 150-200PPM. Our local supply runs from 500-900PPM TDS (Tastes like ) and kills plumbing.

So to clean can be bad and the wrong sort of clean can still see you with a blocked up machine.

Let us know where you are or what sort of water you are running?

Comment

I currently use a bench top from Bombora with a CFS117O Cuno/3M.

It was just that the lady was claiming this thing was the best thing since sliced bread and I noticed it filtered to 4 microns and used reverse osmosis unlike my current filter.

I am happy with my current setup so I think I would give it a miss.

Comment

Yes! You have won free flights to Paris! All you need to do is stay in one of these beautiful remote 2 star fleaholes establishments at 400 Euro a night for 2 weeks :

Lots of well-meaning plumbers/filter sellers do drinking water and have little idea about scale nor espresso machinery.

Best leave it to the pros. Speak with Bombora

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 464D574C56494B42250 link=1339150452/3#3 date=1339160199
            I noticed it filtered to 4 microns and used reverse osmosis unlike my current filter.

Thats the sort of snake oil they use. A carbon block filter HAS NOTHING to do with R/O which is an entirely different process. That is false and misleading conduct and if you pushed the point against trade practices etc!

Comment

Make sure that the filter specifically removes calcium. If Im not wrong theres a special term for it, just forgot what it was and yeah contact bombora.

Comment

As already stated Carbon will not remove calcium. Water Softeners if needed are very different.

Comment

Carbon is great for pulling solvent out of aqueous streams 8-). The only way to pull out calcium & magnesium is to use a softener which acts on an ion exchange principal.

I treat filtration as an investment to ensure my unit stays in tip top shape - do not cut corners when it comes to water quality.

Comment

Hi Beanflying

I'm with you on this. I too have an RO 4 stage system which gives me around 35- 38 TDS. I was worried that it might be a bit low for my Giotto Premium Plus due to the sensors not registering water. But after talking to Chris at Talk Coffee, he said that should be fine. I never get scale in any of my machines. I also have my whole house filtered by 2 x 24" cartridges. 10 micron polyspun sediment and 20 micron carbon block. Cant beat good quality water.

research Town Water Supply and see how your municipality treats their water. You will be shocked.

Comment

[QUOTE=chrislng;471184]Hi all,

Was contacted by the Pure Water company a mob in Queensland I believe.

And on answering a survey I have won a free bench top filter system. The catch I need to buy one of there filters.

The filter is $100 and rated for one year, Im due for a new filter soon so I may just take it but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight into it.

The filter is as follows:

CC1E-HT 0.4 Micron

Commercial non-sponsor link removed

What you think? [I was contacted by the same people about two years ago asking me if I would like to answer a survey, and for doing that they told me that I had won a bench top filter system when I agreed I was told I needed to buy a filter and would cost me $124.90 plus postage and handling $7.50 a total of $132.40.The filter model is CC1E-HT 0.4 micron. I have also checked on line with another company today and for the same model number It will cost me $52 but I think there may be postage charge on top of that.

Comment

I also had a water consultant from pure water at my door last week

Let him in as I was curious as to what he thought

Told me that the bench top filter I was using from Bambora was no good

Told me my filter was Nominal and being 5 micron pretty much useless

I needed one of his 0.4 micron absolute filters then filters for my showers and so on .............

Spent a hour telling me how bad our water really is, did a couple of tests using chlorine and a tomato and then they always get offended when you don't purchase anything from them, like I've wasted his time

I'm happy with my Bambora bench top.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawko777 View Post
                          Hi Beanflying

I'm with you on this. I too have an RO 4 stage system which gives me around 35- 38 TDS. I was worried that it might be a bit low for my Giotto Premium Plus due to the sensors not registering water. But after talking to Chris at Talk Coffee, he said that should be fine. I never get scale in any of my machines. I also have my whole house filtered by 2 x 24" cartridges. 10 micron polyspun sediment and 20 micron carbon block. Cant beat good quality water.

research Town Water Supply and see how your municipality treats their water. You will be shocked.
                          Research it properly and you'll find that potable water in Australia is of extremely high quality in terms of general consumption (ie, drinking, washing, ...). If you want to produce quality espresso, then you have some tighter tolerances to deal with. Test a few rainwater systems and poorly maintained filters systems and you will be shocked!

Pete

Comment

I got visited by a snake oil salesman a week ago and he told me about the wonders of his product too Seriously the domestic water filtration industry is full of shonks and pseudo science that would make a used car salesman blush!

Correct filtration for the given situation ALWAYS.

Comment

Gallery of water-related pseudoscience.
                              Junk science in the marketplace.

Take a look at:
                              The BunkHouse: Water pseudoscience gallery

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X