Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Beans - how old is old?

Hi,

Until recently I would buy supermarket beans. I recently found a place that roasts coffee beans near my work. At work we buy our beans from this place.

I went in the other day and bought some beans from them. On the back of the packet I notices a sticker saying packed on April 2012. I asked if that was old and I was assured it was ok, in fact I was told if they were stored correctly they would be ok for a year

I was too embarrassed to walk away and I thought Id try 250g. After trying the beans I notice that the crema is thin and dissipates quickly in the cup.

Are the beans too old?

Re: Coffee Beans - how old is old?

Originally posted by 684D48441810111B290 link=1339204540/0#0 date=1339204540
    On the back of the packet I notices a sticker saying packed on April 2012
    Originally posted by 684D48441810111B290 link=1339204540/0#0 date=1339204540
    I was too embarrassed to walk away and I thought Id try 250g. After trying the beans I notice that the crema is thin and dissipates quickly in the cup.

Are the beans too old?
    I would say yes. Three to four weeks from roast date is optimum best before. They would be pretty stale after a year!

If you let the forum know what area you live in they will surely recommend some good roasters near you. Also dont forget Beanbay on this site!

Comment

Hey Adam - Now that you know what 2 month old coffee taste like, I am sure you have already learnt the definition of old.

Freshly roasted coffee is best consumed 3-days post roast to 2 weeks. So always find out what the actual roast date is, and not just the month. Good coffee places will not shy this fact away from you.

And dont buy more than you need. If it takes you two weeks to finish off 250g of coffee, so be it. Buying 500g because of $3 savings is not worth your while.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
      Darryl.

Comment

Originally posted by 575348423A0 link=1339204540/2#2 date=1339216468
        Freshly roasted coffee is best consumed 3-days post roast to 2 weeks.
        Not for me. I usually dont enjoy coffee that is less than 1 week old post-roast and find the sweet spot around 12 days. I regularly enjoy coffee that is more than 2 weeks old, especially in the cooler months when coffee seems to age slower.

But that is my taste.

Comment

I go by min 3 days to absolute maximum of 3 weeks, that is for whole roasted beans. 15min for ground beans.

Comment

When I was sold the beans I asked how often they roast. I was told once a week and that they dont sell them right after roasting because the beans are best enjoyed 5-7 days after roasting. I was honestly too embarrassed to put up a fight and insist on a bag that was roasted or packed in June.

This is a good learning experience for me I suppose.

I am in the St. George area but work in Macquarie Park during the week are there any roasters around me where I can get fresh beans?

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D686D613D35343E0C0 link=1339204540/5#5 date=1339227174
              I am in the St. George area but work in Macquarie Park during the week are there any roasters around me where I can get fresh beans?
              Espresso 7ty8 on 78 Waterloo Rd. is where I hang out for coffee during office hours. Michael, the barista working there is a very down-to-earth guy if you get a chance to chat with him. They serve Campos beans there, and they also sell whole beans too. Just check out the dates. When I ran out of green beans and had to resort to them, the beans I got from them were roasted 1 week before. So they werent too bad.

Good luck, dude!

Comment

When they star t smelling like pub carpet, they are too old!

Comment

Originally posted by 352320223523233F3C3F263522500 link=1339204540/7#7 date=1339233924
                  When they star t smelling like pub carpet, they are too old!
                  and the grinder tends to stall on the carpet too! ;D

Comment

Adam, theres a little place called Swallow Coffee Traders in Tramway St. Rockdale. They use Single Origin so its pretty ok and am sure theyll have a bag or two for sale.

Say hello to Jess for me...though its been so long she probably wont remember!

Comment

Hi Adam1982,

If you work in Macquaie Park, Sibonis at Pymble is only 5 minutes drive from there.
                      I get my beans from Sibonis and its pretty good.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 2306030F535B5A50620 link=1339204540/5#5 date=1339227174
                        work in Macquarie Park during the week
                        In a short distance in all directions from Macquarie you will find a Pablo and Rusty’s café. They are at Gordon, Lane Cove, Epping and Ryde. They roast at Ryde and sell great coffee in the cup and bag at all their cafés.

Barry.

Comment

+1 for P & Rustys.
                          They also have a cafe on Olympic Park,..if its any help.

Comment

Originally posted by 6144414D11191812200 link=1339204540/5#5 date=1339227174
                            This is a good learning experience for me I suppose.
                            The whole CS thing is a perpetual learning experience, I think its one of the best aspects of the hobby.

Comment

I have been to swallows right near Rockdale station, their coffee is some of the best Ive had in a cafe.

It looks like I have lots of choices, Pablo and Rustys and Sibonis arent too far away.

I think there is a site sponsor who is a coffee roaster in Alexandria. That may be an option on a Saturday if I run dry.

Ill probably give Pablos a go sometime this week.

I have mostly milk based coffees whatsoever you guys recommend from Pablos?

Comment

Working...
                              X