Chocolated Coated Beans in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolated Coated Beans in Brisbane

Gday all, Can anybody tell me where in Brisbane I can get reasonably priced coated beans from? I have tried a few places and they are about $50-$60kg. Online seems good for about $30-$40kg, until you account for postage.

Thanks, Andrew 

Re: Chocolated Coated Beans in Brisbane

Is it for commercial or domestic quantities? They are super easy to make.

Comment

Hi DSKi,

What is your "super easy" method for Choc coating the Coffee Beans please??

I just worked out that Im paying $58 a kilo too.

Very interested.  As I often give these as gifts.

Kind regards,  Intacoffee   

Comment

Originally posted by 654258495E5B4343482C0 link=1339562283/2#2 date=1339568096
        What is your "super easy" method for Choc coating the Coffee Beans please??
        Hey, I knew someone would take super easy completely out of context  ;D

They are easy, but a little labor intensive actually. You would have to do the sums as to whether its worth making them in your circumstance. You might find $58 / kg isnt too bad. You might find you can make much nicer ones yourself.

BUT

Really all you do is melt some chocolate - if you do it over a double boiler it is more forgiving. Use decent quality couverture chocolate.

Chuck in some coffee beans, and then fish them out one at a time, and gingerly place them on a sheet of baking paper. Allow space between each one of course...

They should come up nice and shiny once cool if you handle the chocolate ok. Ive made them at work, but normally only in relatively small amounts as a garnish.

Have a google if you have not handled chocolate at all before, as thats the only potentially tricky bit.

Hope that is of some use to you Intacoffee,

D

Comment

Proper choc coated coffee machines are made using a process called panning.
          Basically the beans (nuts etc) are placed into a panning machine (looks like a cement mixer), and chocolate is slowly added. It gradually coats the beans and you get a nice round shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSEZA_dKTps&feature=related

If you want to use DSKIs method, make sure you temper the chocolate, if using couveture, otherwise it will not set properly.

Have also attached a pdf with more info.

Comment

Google Newmans chocolates and you should find a few places that sell them for $30kg. Use keywords like lollywor*d to find suppliers.

Comment

Thanks everybody.   8-)

Now ... where did I put the Cement Mixer?   

Comment

I saw one of these mixers recently. It had a nice copper bowl. Very tempting but I dont have the space!

Comment

I came close to buying one years ago. Unfortunately, you need to have at least three to make it financially viable. This, coupled with a lack of room stopped me, but they are very nice and shiny........

Haighs Chocolates make a delicious dark chocolate coffee bean. I am unsure as to where in QLD they can be purchased. Mine come in regular care packages from Adelaide.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E594C434E2D0 link=1339562283/5#5 date=1339592922
                    Google Newmans chocolates and you should find a few places that sell them for $30kg. Use keywords like lollywor*d to find suppliers.
                    Thanks for the replies everyone. I found some Newmans ones at Toms Confectionery Warehouse for $26kg in 150g packs or 1kg packs for $19 which seems a good price. They tasted good as well.

Andrew 

Comment

Just an update to this (I know it's an old thread, Sorry). The Lolly Shop at UQ St. Lucia often has choc beans for $25 /kg. Just have to ask at the counter. No pretty packaging though. Just a white paper bag. So if you're ever around St. Lucia...

Comment

I've got some nice ones from Di Bella.

Comment

Working...
                        X