Shots & Times ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots & Times ?

I recently got the Double LM basket for my silvia - makes a hell of difference - more consistent throughout. With my Rocky grinder set to 14 I can get a 5 second start and a 25-30 second 30 ml pour in two cups. Not bad either, I am hesitant in dropping down a notch in case it comes out a lot longer.

Anyway question - Double is great but I find a tad too strong first thing - I just want a single, but the single basket with the silvia is really bad, never been able to master this thing - so if I was to use the double would I run two cups and toss one, or run for half the time and get one 30ml shot ?

Also is it worth getting a single basket replacement ?

Re: Shots & Times ?

I use the origional Silvia double form my singles, and the LM for doubles.
    Bruce

Comment

Hmm theres a thought.........but how do I maintain a 30 ml pour in 30 sec on the double unless I grind finer for the single ?

Comment

Scollops, just run for the 30ml shot if thats all you want to drink. Or for any amount you want.

Um, are both your 30ml shots looking and tasting great? I mean if you were to run the first 30ml and then slip another cup under for the next 30ml, does the coffee look the same as the first 30? If it is, well done you on acheiving that! But my experience has been that the second 30mls is not as good as the first, from either the Silvia or the commerical. ::waits for everyones shocked reactions::

Okay....I think I am kinda confused about what youre telling us in your first post, scollops. :-/

Comment

30-45 mL with the double is a doppio ristretto. Youre looking at about 50-60 mL for a doppio from the double basket. If you think a doppio is strong, a doppio ristretto will blow your socks off.

If you pull a double, drink a double. No point cutting the shot short or tossing the second shot. If anything keep the double spout on and put the seconds in a container in the fridge and use it for iced coffees.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1167434463/0#5 date=1167447990
            If anything keep the double spout on and put the seconds in a container in the fridge and use it for iced coffees.
            Hmmm,

Clever thinking there 99 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Er? What happened to my post. There it was --gone....?

--Robusto

Comment

Typing in disappearing font methinks, call CSI.

Comment

go and buy a 9g single filter basked. thirty ml from a double will be a ristretto and a different taste. (not bad) or have two cups of coffee or throw out the unused shot etc. at the end of the day your using just as many beans if some goes to the sink as if you pulled a ristretto. why not drop your grind down a notch if you dont like the results then change it back. that is the advantage of notched grinders. who knows you may prefer the taste of a slower pour.

Comment

How long could you keep the coffee shot in the fridge before it would need to be discarded?

mattm

Comment

Matt. If it is in a sealed container/jug/bottle.
                      It should be okay for a couple days. I have often made heaps of coffee for iced coffees and kept it in the fridge up to two to three days with no issues.

I keep it in a very well cleaned heinz egg mayonnaise jar as that has an excellent lid (and it is smalll).

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1167434463/0#6 date=1167459047
                        Er? What happened to my post. There it was --gone....?

--Robusto

One of Andys bugs must have got it! ;D

But yeah, robusto. Thats odd. I was sure youd posted a reply as well.

Comment

Well Ill be bug-ered.

--Robusto

Comment

OK guys, Im new here so what Im about to ask might be obvious for some. I have a Breville 800ES and was wondering about the timing of a shot. I beleive it should be approx 25 - 30 sec for 30mls. When do I start the timing? 1. When I turn the knob or 2. when the coffee starts to pour from the PF?

On another question. I have read that it is good to turn the flow on for 3 secs to wet the coffee, turn the machine off for 5 secs then turn it back on again for the 25-30 sec pour. Is this necessary for a better tasting coffee?

I hope someone can help with expanding my knowledge in the coffee arena.

Cheers
                            Steve

Comment

Welcome Steve.

You should time the shot from the moment you hit the brew switch, even though there might be several seconds delay until the coffee emerges.
                              (the finer the grind and heavier the tamp the longer the delay)

The 25-30 seconds applies to both a single (30 ml) and a double (60 ml).

Hitting the brew switch for a few seconds, then off and on again for the duration of the pour is a presumed way to emulate pre-infusion, which is what high-end machines with the E-61 group do. The idea is to saturate the basket gently so that when the main stream hits the coffee the puck wont be disturbed.

However, it is questionable as to whether this in fact works with lesser machines (see other threads on this subject).

--Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X