Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean recommendation - Barneys New York FREE SHIPPING until 23June2012

Guys,

My friend took the risk of ordering coffee beans of Indonesian origin from Barneys New York, and had them shipped to OZ, kinda travelled the world already huh.

ANyway, the beans turned out to be surprisingly fresh, as fresh as, if not fresher than the 1kg beans youd get from Woolies off the shelf.

Crema was thick and tasted creamy, as the beans were packed in a vacuum bag (this method is rare and almost unseen in Australia), no air present in the packaging, hence no oxidation. I dont know how they did it.

Now, while they offer free shipping until 23rd June 2012, 1lb (~450g) of beans cost about $16-18.

In order not to breach the site rules, I have deleted the prices and link to protect everyones interest.

I hope my first coffeesnobs contribution helps!

Re: Bean recommendation - Barneys New York FREE SHIPPING until 23June2012

which one did you try?

Comment

International shipping is fine (but risky if you dont know the product !) ..it only takes a few days,  ...but I am trying to understand how /why you vacuum pack fresh roasted beans that naturally produce gas for some time after roasting ???
      A better method would be Nitrogen purged packing.
      no air present in the packaging, hence no oxidation.
      .. its impossible to vac extract all the air from a pack of beans..50% of the volume is in the spaces between the beans.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F21616D620C0 link=1339687495/1#1 date=1339714377
        which one did you try?

I tried the espresso blend.

Comment

You might want to read the site rules re posting commercial links to non-sponsors.....just saying.

Comment

Please find attached the pictures.

Regarding the vacuum pack and freshness, the coffee beans mustve been roasted and aired for 3-4 days prior to being vacuum packed, because freshly roasted coffee releases gas (mostly CO2) most quickly in the first few days.

If you look closely, there is a one-way valve on the packaging, therefore, it means the beans havent been releasing much gases yet, judging by its brick-like compactness.

In my honest opinion, this is a better way of packaging, as it is just as good, compact, easier for mass transportation.

This is getting interesting, as I went on and on digging out information about the debate on packing with vacuum or nitro.

A good article to ponder below:
            http://agoodkeensavage.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/why-i-stopped-packaging-our-coffee-in-one-way-valves/

Comment

More pictures, and a shot of the blend.

Comment

Where is the roast date?

Roasted in Seattle, shipped to New York before shipping to you. I doubt these are very fresh.

Originally posted by 606660606E665861666966736E64070 link=1339687495/5#5 date=1339729974
                Regarding the vacuum pack
                Lower pressure air freight has sucked all the air out of the valve, I dont think they would have vac-packed them.

With free freight the price is ok, not really much cheaper per kilo than local product which will be better and fresher with a known roast date and less air miles.

Support your local roaster instead!

Comment

Not sure if its due to your method, your machine or the beans, but that picture of the extraction is not a good advertisement. A rather pale and weak looking crema.

Originally posted by 0728223F460 link=1339687495/7#7 date=1339735248
                  Hear! Hear!

GrahamK

Comment

Agree,

You get what you pay for, and no doubt the beans will not be as fresh as those locally sourced.

I know how the local industry feels when the overseas internet retail is hurting the local economy. And yet no one stood up and price match them to protect our local/family establishments.

Being a barista myself, I dont understand why the packaging method above is not practised in Australia. Its just so much easier to hold 10 bricks of beans instead of 10 bags of them on your own, esp when youre working at a busy cafe.

Comment

Where is the roast date?
                      ...that picture of the extraction is not a good advertisement

Couldnt agree more with these comments!

Now, fresh coffee time!

Comment

Originally posted by 6F5A4940494563280 link=1339687495/8#8 date=1339737169
                        A rather pale and weak looking crema.

Yes, spot on!! I was actually waiting for someone to comment on this.

In actuality, the grind size was off by heaps! My Quaha Napoletanas grinder jammed at grind size number 4, and it couldnt go lower. I believe it happened after I replaced my gasket and cleaned my grouphead, the machine was tilted upside down where beans probably jammed it. This has been like this for days and that needs to be fixed when I get home this evening.

Anyone knows how to properly disassemble a Quaha Napoletana or a Lelit equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by 0600060608003E07000F00150802610 link=1339687495/9#9 date=1339738640
                          I know how the local industry feels when the overseas internet retail is hurting the local economy
                          Actually buying roasted beans locally is more about common sense than a policy statement about buying overseas.

GrahamK

Comment

Originally posted by 1326353C35391F540 link=1339687495/12#12 date=1339743536
                            Actually buying roasted beans locally is more about common sense than a policy statement about buying overseas.
                            Yup! Aint dat da truth! :

Comment

I wonder if they could send me a ham sandwich. :

Comment

Working...
                              X