Shot starts as black...lightens to brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot starts as black...lightens to brown

Hey guys I have a gaggia classic, and 97% of the time the first second of my shot comes out as black and then fades to a more natural brown colour. I often have to move the glass out of the way until the black stops because it adds a real bitterness to the taste...

Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know what it actually is??

Re: Shot starts as black...lightens to brown

Hard to say without some more info but sounds like stale beans.

Comment

Hmmm.. possibly... but they are often super fresh...

Comment

Hi Scotty,

Are you flushing the machine prior to placing the group handle in place? When I say flush I mean run water from the head into either the tray or a bowl for 5 or so seconds before putting handle in and pulling the shot.

Comment

Hey Chris I usually flush it for a few seconds... do you reckon longer might be a good idea?

Comment

Hey scotty,

I only say this as i had the same problem and what i was doing was not flushing the head first. flushing it for a few more seconds wont hurt it but it may not fix your problem. Im no professional , however it could be a number of things sush as grind, tamp and to how clean your machine is.

sorry i could be much help

cheers,

Chris

Comment

would it be possible for you to videotape your entire process, so we can possibly see what it is that you may be doing wrong?

Could be any number of things from my understanding. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 4F6276646B6A6D64427745627766030 link=1339911123/6#6 date=1339976297
                would it be possible for you to videotape ...
                Videotape? This is the 21stC L@F

Comment

Originally posted by 032E3A28272621280E3B092E3B2A4F0 link=1339911123/6#6 date=1339976297
                  would it be possible for you to videotape
                  Then make multiple copies and post the video cassettes to us via snail mail...I think I might still have a video player somewhere in the house ;D ;D

Sorry L@F, couldnt help myself. I think were showing our age.

But taking L@Fs point, a video of your process will help all the guess works...or much of it.

Comment

would it be possible for you to videotape
                    beta or vhs?
                    ;D

Comment

Gah, My twenty century brain strikes again, Sorry guys! ;D

I did mean video, didnt mean tape it, but well, thats what you get for having too much blood in your coffee stream after all!

Comment

Scotty,

I think I had a similar problem to yours. I started a thread about it... still not sure what the cause was. The best explanation I found was that my tamp was sometimes incomplete around the edges causing some early dark extract then as the coffee bed swelled and sealed the edges around the basket a normal looking shot commenced....

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1330306410;start=20;action=threadpaget ext;reversetopic=0

My 2cents

Comment

Working...
                        X