Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many grams for double shot are most people using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many grams for double shot are most people using?

I am curious as to how much in grams are most people putting in their portafilter for a double shot.

I have been playing around with brew pressure (set at 9.5 bar) tamping pressure, bean type, grind and temperature and am consistent in each aspect now and i get a pretty good shot, however i feel like its not amazing and it could be improved. I then decided to weigh out the amount I am using and i found that i have been using 21 grams for my double shots. Maybe this is one reason why my shots arent at their best. I have a 51mm single wall basket and I am going to try different amounts to see what tastes better.

But as a guideline, I was wondering how many grams most people are using for their double shots?? I know it depends on the individuals taste, but im just asking as a guideline to help adjust my dosing.

Re: How many grams for double shot are most people using?

Originally posted by 3F3526380B66646664540 link=1341443707/0#0 date=1341443707
    I am curious as to how much in grams are most people putting in their portafilter for a double shot.
    When using a Sunbeam EM3800 we use around 18 grams in a Breville 2 cup single wall filter.

Comment

I too found I was using 21g when I started to expwrimate with weighing the beans. I went as low as 16g before settling on 18g in a Synesso basket for my Expobar Leva.

Comment

Ive been using 21g in an 18g VST basket to good results. Id like to head towards a 19g or 20g dose. But for now 21g is suiting me well. So why change? Maybe we could add a poll to this?

Comment

Thanks for the input. Im just about to try a few shots myself starting at 16 and then 18g.

Do you find a difference in the kick you get from a lower dose. At the moment im liking the kick i get from the 21g and thinking that I will get less from a 16g double shot, or is the amount of caffiene for both the same and just the flavours change, or is the difference not noticable?

Comment

I use 18g in an 18g VST basket (or thats what I try and hit each time). For me I find that getting a good distribution and even tamp is probably more important than the dose. Using a naked portafilter really highlighted that for me. If your distribution is not even so that the extraction isnt even I think that will mess with the flavor much more than a few grams one way or another (with off-setting grind adjustment of course).

Comment

I try and get the same **volume** in the basket.
              As it differs between bean densities, the weight varies between 18.5 and 20 gm in the 53mm(?) Izzo basket.

Greg

Comment

Ive experimented with shots and found the 18g was best and was more full bodied, and tasted better than the 21g with no bitterness..!!

Comment

I am currently using a triple basket I picked up from my local roaster, Im not sure of the baskets rating but I find 24-25g suits
                  I split the shot in two, one 60ml AFC (short black for me) and one 210ml cup for my wifes flat white

This gives me a nice rich espresso and also strong enough to cut through the milk in the other [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

Originally posted by 5952574A5D563E0 link=1341443707/7#7 date=1341487212
                    Originally posted by 63564143734B5649454840240 link=1341443707/6#6 date=1341480473
                    I try and get the same **volume** in the basket.
                    As it differs between bean densities, the weight varies between 18.5 and 20 gm in the 53mm(?) Izzo basket.

Greg
                    Thats interesting, its a very high dose for a Lever machine. and high dosing for most other machines.

Are you using very light roasts? ( I only ask because overdosing has been a trait of 3rd wave style, light roast acidic coffee.)

I personally have settled into the range of 14-14.5g - but I do prefer the traditional style of espresso.
                    I drink a doppio ristretto either black or with an equal amount of steamed milk.

I roast to CS 9-10, just before or on the first snaps of 2nd crack--so definitely not light.

I use that dose cause it fits the "5 cent test" or just below. I never see a shower screen imprint on the puck while knocking it out, so while it might seem high it is well within the capacity of the machine, and less than I have used on E61 machines--but only by a gram or two. Besides, I like the taste.

Remember, the Izzo Pompei is a **large** professional machine. It is not scaled down for domestic use in any way.

Greg

Comment

For me and mine, 19.5g or thereabouts in a VST 18g basket

Comment

I use 22.5g at work in VST baskets on a Linear.

Comment

I'm a fan of double ristretto - so I go for 20g for a 50ml extraction between 28-30 seconds.

Comment

i use 15g with a double basket on an expobar. i liked to idea of sticking to traditions at first with 14g doses but found it alot harder to level off nicely - especially when i switch to beans with not as much volume

im pretty new to the site so please go easy on me... newbie question, but what is the 5 cent test?

Comment

Originally posted by timdimdom View Post
                              im pretty new to the site so please go easy on me... newbie question, but what is the 5 cent test?
                              It's a test to determine the ideal dose for your basket/tamp/machine combo. Dose and tamp normally. Place a 5c coin on top of the puck. Lock it into the group head. Then remove it, there should be a slight imprint of the 5c. This suggests there is less than the 5c's width between the puck and the showerscreen. This is ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X