Decaf Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decaf Beans

I was talking to my roaster and he said he has to carry decaf for those who want it, but does not recommend it.

he said between the 2 methods of removing 98% of the caffeine, the water washed method is what he chose as he did not want to get involved in Chemicals, fair enough.

according to him it is really no longer coffee and you can not get much if any crema from the shot.

thoughts and other opinions please.

Re: Decaf Beans

Your roaster doesnt know what hes talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by 650B4B4748260 link=1341528404/0#0 date=1341528404
      according to him it is really no longer coffee and you can not get much if any crema from the shot.
      Buy a bag of CS Decaf Wow from Andy and see for yourself. As many whove tried it have commented, it if wasnt for the lack of caffeine effect, you wouldnt know you arent drinking decaf. I agree with them.

I think you need to visit a different cafe C-man. Im not sure your current guy is feeding you correct info. Good decaf can provide good coffee; short blacks dont deteriorate that quickly (but the flavour does change as it cools, not necessarily for the worse)

Comment

Yup, agreeing with others, Decaf Wow is excellent, and behaves pretty much exactly like "real" coffee, also tastes just like "real" coffee. The only discernible differences are that the roast looks really dark and theres no caffeine hit.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4555425054534255270 link=1341528404/3#3 date=1341531141
          Yup, agreeing with others, Decaf Wow is excellent, and behaves pretty much exactly like "real" coffee, also tastes just like "real" coffee. The only discernible differences are that the roast looks really dark and theres no caffeine hit.
          This has been my experience to the T.
          I get just as much crema in a shot as regular coffee.

Has been great for learning some basic espresso technique without sending me off the rails...

Comment

Ive never really had a good go with decaf, but have just started and I am pretty amazed by it: great crema, nice flavour... you really couldnt tell it was decaf from look and taste. (Im using Di Bellas decaf - have to try Decaf WOW soon!)

Heres a pic of my effort last night. Looks bit washed out... crema looked a little darker in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by 036D2D212E400 link=1341528404/0#0 date=1341528404
              Crema definately not an issue - see my attachment, Im pouring a 100% crema shot from Decaf WoW!! 

Made to order for your thread, what service

Comment

C-man, tell your roaster to learn to adjust his/her grind. As well as the Decaf WOW, Ive tried several great Swiss Water method decafs which beat the #@$ out of many full strength blends as far as taste and crema go.

To be fair....Ive tried coffee on the Sunshine Coast and hinterland and havent had much luck.

Comment

WOW! thanks guys, fantastic replies!!!!

I am now convinced and will order some,

Does Andy post green beans or only roasted ones?

Comment

Originally posted by 127C3C303F510 link=1341528404/8#8 date=1341606069
                    Does Andy post green beans or only roasted ones?
                    Yes.

Go to BeanBay where you have a choice of how you pay and how they are sent for both greens and browns.

In my experience they arrive by post in Sydney the day after ordering.

It may take a little longer for the postal pony to arrive in Qld.

Barry

Comment

Be aware though, Decaf is a very different beast to roast, there is a quite a learning curve to it (two roasts down, first was severely under roasted, the second Ill find out tonight).

Comment

From memory Andy recommends roasting to just prior to second crack, ie roasted by temp not colour. This is relatively easy to achieve if you use a data logger in your roasting setup as the the cracks occur at consistent temperatures.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 0F09150B0E110D0C620 link=1341528404/7#7 date=1341574777
                          To be fair....Ive tried coffee on the Sunshine Coast and hinterland and havent had much luck.

yes, we only have Costa Noosa and poineer roasters up here

not so spoiled for choice like you guys in the cities.

Comment

Talked briefly with the roaster again today (while he was super busy), I told him about the Great decaf you guys are talking about and told him it was a blend, he thinks that maybe why his single Origin Decaf does not work because it is not blended,
                            he also agrees that decaf needs to be roasted differently.

does it need a different grind as well?

But now I have him looking into it.

Comment

Just like any different bean/blend you'll probably have to grind it differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X