Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electricity consumption - Izzo alex Duetto running 100% of the time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity consumption - Izzo alex Duetto running 100% of the time.

I put a power meter on my Izzo to measure the power consumption and cost to run it. So far, 2 days: first 24 hours on 100% and second 100% but with my "sock" over the E61;
    For the test period (being in Melbourne) our kitchen area has gone from 10C overnight to around 20C during the day -say average 14C. Yep pretty cold.

During the 48 hours i think we made about 15-20 coffees between us.

The sock made less than 0.1kWHr difference for the 24 hours so i guess it's not worth the trouble.

Consumption, 24 Hrs running, 4.5 KWhr which at my electricity price [27.3c/kWhr all incl. ] is $1.25 per day or $8.75 per week, $470 p.a. Most likely less over a full year as the temp would be warmer -hopefully.

I will now make measurements now over 1 week for usual scenario of turning the machine off during the day and overnight, but this is a handy baseline figure and doesn't sound much per day but sure adds up over a year!

I'm not suprised by the electricity consumption, the amount of heat that's lost through the cup warming area is amazing.
    I think the extra cost of running this beastie over my silvia is well worth it.
    How can you put a price on a smile that Alex delivers every morning. (Convincing my other half who pays the bills).
    I'm not sure on the conversion rates, but getting a smile at 5.00 in the morning has got to be worth twice as much as an afternoon smile

Comment

Thanks for the analysis/post, I've always wondered what my Alex costs to run. Truth be told, no matter how much it costs my family couldn't live without it! That's including my 22mth old daughter who likes her babycino every morning ("cokkee" as she calls it!!)

Comment

Originally posted by dwhitfie View Post
        Thanks for the analysis/post, I've always wondered what my Alex costs to run.
        +1 - interesting to know. I've just got my Duetto and am loving it (although had a bit of a battle with the milk). Similar temps in my kitchen, so thanks for the data.

Pete

Comment

Great post mate! You beat me to it.

I have a Bezzera BZ35e and I have purchased an electricity meter on eBay and I was going to do a before and after study.

Before will be normal. After will be with an insulated boiler.

I'm extremely interested to know the difference in price and not only that but to relieve the machine of so many on/off heat cycles. Atleast I now have something to compare it to!

-Brendon

Comment

Hi brettchris- one thing to keep in mind is that you can cut that by at least haf by switching the steam boiler off. Leaving the machine off overnight would cut your requirement by a further third.

You're then talking <50c per day if you use your machine every day of the year.

Comment

I'm finding the ability to switch off the steam boiler really useful. BTW, does anyone know how long it typically takes for the group to come up to temp? It seems pretty quick, but I don't have the instrumentation to measure it.

Pete

Comment

I feel that my coffee tastes different when pulling a shot while the steam boiler is off. Perhaps due to cold water entering the brew boiler? Or just a placebo :P?

Tim

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Hi brettchris- one thing to keep in mind is that you can cut that by at least haf by switching the steam boiler off. Leaving the machine off overnight would cut your requirement by a further third.

You're then talking <50c per day if you use your machine every day of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete39 View Post
                  I'm finding the ability to switch off the steam boiler really useful. BTW, does anyone know how long it typically takes for the group to come up to temp? It seems pretty quick, but I don't have the instrumentation to measure it.

Pete
                  Hi Pete,

Our trusty Scace II tells us circa 10 minutes.

Originally posted by timmyc View Post
                  I feel that my coffee tastes different when pulling a shot while the steam boiler is off. Perhaps due to cold water entering the brew boiler? Or just a placebo :P?

Tim
                  G'day Timmy. My instinct tells me mainly placebo, but I will run some scace tests when I have time. One of my fave shot machines is the Diadema Perfetta and it's a single boiler of the same capacity. I have not noticed a difference.

Comment

Hi Pete,

Thanks Chris.

Comment

Hi Pete,

Do you really mean the Alex D is ready to pull its best shots , 10 mins after switching on from stone cold !
                      ..Thats impressive !
                      How does it manage to heat up the group to a stable temp so much quicker than an HX m/c ?

Comment

I very much doubt that's what Chris meant. There is still a lot of metal to heat! Perhaps he meant the steam boiler up to temp after switching it on.

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                        Do you really mean the Alex D is ready to pull its best shots , 10 mins after switching on from stone cold !
                        ..Thats impressive !
                        How does it manage to heat up the group to a stable temp so much quicker than an HX m/c ?

Comment

Actually- it's pretty damn close after 10 minutes.

52- read up about heat rates of groups without thermosyphon restrictors.

Would I always use it at 10 min? Nope- but the group is too hot to maintain contact with after 8 min so an emergency shot is very much doable.

Comment

Ahh, OK !
                            I know my Isomac (E61,with no restrictors) takes a good 20-25 mins to get the group up to a stable temp ( measured), even though the boiler is up to temp (1.1 bar) in less than 10 mins.
                            But what does the Scace read after 10 mins ??
                            As someone else mentioned, a T towel over the group will noticeably reduce the warm up time!

Comment

I always leave the steam boiler on because we have almost exclusively milk drinks. And I find it a pain if I've turned on the brew boiler and forgot to turn on the steam.

I allow 15 minutes for before making a coffee from cold: so if the brew is taking 10 minutes the steam boiler is around 4 minutes.

At 15 minutes both boilers are pretty stable. ( ive also set my steam boiler at 128 - I like a strong steam output which this helps with)

Might have to redo my tests for 1 week "normal" operation- lost my initial date/time/kWhr notes

Originally posted by Pete39 View Post

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X