Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct grind for filter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Correct grind for filter

    Are there any tips for achieving optimal grind size for filter coffee? For espresso I was taught 25-30 ml in 25-30 seconds as a rule of thumb. Are there any similar guidelines for filter?

    I find I'm having to press quite hard with my AeroPress which makes me think the grind is too fine. But making it more coarse gives a coffee that's to watery.

  • #2
    Originally posted by richard_browne View Post
    Are there any tips for achieving optimal grind size for filter coffee? For espresso I was taught 25-30 ml in 25-30 seconds as a rule of thumb. Are there any similar guidelines for filter?

    I find I'm having to press quite hard with my AeroPress which makes me think the grind is too fine. But making it more coarse gives a coffee that's to watery.
    How about you have a crack with a coarser grind but longer steep time (with inverted method). Guideline is your tastebuds

    Tim

    Comment


    • #3
      Tim, what is the inverted method?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by richard_browne View Post
        Tim, what is the inverted method?
        So basically you just put the Aeropress upside-down (or inverted). Put the rubber part just below the number 4 mark. Put your coffee in & add the water - experiment with grind size, steep time & stirring. Put your cap and filter on top, then flip it over and plunge into your cup

        Comment


        • #5
          While the Aeropress is essentially a plunger, it doesn't really need a filter grind.

          When I used filter papers I would use espresso grind for 1 cup and slightly coarser for 2 or more cups. Now I'm using the Coava disk rather than filter papers and espresso grind does the job.

          It does seem to require considerable force to express the coffee in an Ap but the trick is to apply onlyn enough force to allow the air pressure rather than your strength to do the work. But if the coffee tastes too strong, then adjust the
          grind coarser.

          Google aeropress inverted method and you'll find several recipes. I've developed my own

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by timmyc View Post
            So basically you just put the Aeropress upside-down (or inverted). Put the rubber part just below the number 4 mark. Put your coffee in & add the water - experiment with grind size, steep time & stirring. Put your cap and filter on top, then flip it over and plunge into your cup
            Thanks Tim I'll give it a try.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
              While the Aeropress is essentially a plunger, it doesn't really need a filter grind.

              When I used filter papers I would use espresso grind for 1 cup and slightly coarser for 2 or more cups. Now I'm using the Coava disk rather than filter papers and espresso grind does the job.

              It does seem to require considerable force to express the coffee in an Ap but the trick is to apply onlyn enough force to allow the air pressure rather than your strength to do the work. But if the coffee tastes too strong, then adjust the grind coarser.
              Interesting. I'm also using the Coava Disk. I'll experiment with something closer to an espresso grind. Cheers.

              Comment


              • #8
                This is my current method for AP with Coava disk here. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post474016
                You may or may not find it useful. (:

                Comment

                Working...
                X