Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to identify processing method for Beanbay Greens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify processing method for Beanbay Greens?

This might sound like a silly question, but assuming that it is not explicitly stated in the bean 'name' (origins/bean/estate etc), or in Andy's description on BB, how does one determine whether a particular bean is dry-processed or wet-processed? Are they wet-processed (semi wet-processed) unless explicitly stated that they are dry or pulped natural? Or am I hopelessly optimistic?

I'm trying to do Italian blend that has a base containing dry and wet processed Brazils, and have used the 2 green Brazils presently available. Should I assume that the Brazil Yellow Bourbon is wet-processed?
    Cheers
    BOSW

(Mods please move to different sub-forum if more appropriate there).

Typically everything in BeanBay is washed unless I've stated that it's dry processed, wet hulled or pulped natural.

Your guess was correct, that Yellow Bourbon is fully washed.

I would also suggest not getting too hung-up on the processing. It's far better to ty it as a single origin and think how it would work in a blend. Generic "you need dry and wet process" is doomed to fail if the body, flavours and acidity are not what the blend component needs.

When you make notes on a single origin roast include what the dominant attribute was. That will help you long term find the right bean to lift, fill-out or fruit-up a blend.

Comment

Thanks Andy. Very helpful. And yeh I try everything as a SO first. This is basically an experiment to see whether a blend that I've made a few times using either of the Brazils as the base tastes substantively different using a 50/50 mix of the 2 (I'm guessing the answer is no....but no harm trying). Really like both of the Brazils in blends (and they were one of the last beans I tried.....stupid prejudice based on the lower end of Brazilian production).

Comment

Working...
      X