Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to buying a coffee machine/grinder

hey guys,
    I'm new to buying a coffee machine & grinder and i heard that if you want great coffee, you need to get the best grinder you can afford..? I also have found a few around $300 but not sure where to go..?

breville Smart Grinder
    Ascaso i steel
    Rancilio Rocky doserless
    i had a few more but cant remember them.

Anyways I have a cert. barista but i only use auto machines at my work and want to get a grinder first and then a machine(in a few months) as i have a french press at home but havnt used it for coffee.
    Also would like to know what dual boilers out there are around max $500?

Cheers rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome firstly. In my honest opinion not that its the best one is that what you have said is true, you need to get the best grinder you can afford. I was in the same predicament sometime ago. I orginally had a sunbean, then crossed to a breville smart grinder which was good for what i could afford. After a while though looking through here i saw that for not much more you can get a compack K3 push or touch. Very worth while if you can stretch the budget a little, im happy with mine in many ways. Keeping in mind your budget though, Good luck.

Kind regards,

Chris

Comment

I'm quite happy with my Breville Smart grinder. Hard to beat at the price.

Comment

cheers for that what price can u get the compak for?

Comment

Hi crazyrob, for prices check out the sponsors. For instance: chris at talk coffee has the compak k3 touch for $500. http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipme...k-k3-touch.php. But i'm not sure where you're located, one of the other sponsors may be closer.

Comment

Originally posted by David8 View Post
            Hi crazyrob, for prices check out the sponsors. For instance: chris at talk coffee has the compak k3 touch for $500. Extreme machines for lovers of the brown bean. But i'm not sure where you're located, one of the other sponsors may be closer.
            Thanks for the plug David.

Our price is actually a fair bit better than that. Members can access pricing and special offers on our CS members webpage. We provide a password via PM for those with >10 posts and ask new members to phone during business hours for same.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

Our price is actually a fair bit better than that. Members can access pricing and special offers on our CS members webpage. We provide a password via PM for those with >10 posts and ask new members to phone during business hours for same.

Cheers

Chris
              Ah if only I didn't already have one.

crazyrob, I just saw your question regarding dual boilers under $500. Good luck. About the best I think you can hope for is a second hand sunbeam em6900/6910. And technically, it's not a dual boiler - but you can get similar results. If you really want a dual boiler, you might be better off saving up a little more. Spend more time with that french press.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

Cheers

Chris
                Speaking of which Chris, it seems the move has cleared my inbox and I cannot find my password to access the CS members special prices. Can you send me another one? Thanks.

Comment

okay well its for me and the miss, and she i think we have descided to go with a breville and then save up..

funny thing was she wanted a pritty red delonghi coffee machine and saw videos and new it was crap.. plastic and hate not being a ball joint for the steamer.. small tho but crap...
                  thank you for the help guys
                  rob

Comment

just had a quick look at the breville barista express video.. any good? whos got one?
                    thought about it say its small for what it is which my misses would like

Comment

I've never heard of a dual boiler for anywhere near $500. You might be able to find a second hand HX machine, but even that would likely entail a bit more money. You mentioned a Rancilio Rocky grinder - you could always go for the matching set and get a Rancilio Silvia, which you can pick up used for well under $500. While not a dual boiler, it's a solid entry-level machine, with a sizable community of users who can offer tips and advice to get the most from it.

Comment

Originally posted by GMG View Post
                        I've never heard of a dual boiler for anywhere near $500.
                        Not even two old gaggia classic's side-by-side?

Comment

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. A bit of gaffer tape and voila! You might have created a whole new market!

Comment

..would like to know what dual boilers out there are around max $500?
                            Even stretching to include thermoblocks, you will be looking at used equipment to meet that price point. ( Possible you may get the Gaggia Baby Twin around that $$ tho' ?) ..Even then your options are very limited.
                            Look for used Sunbeam 6910 or better still Ascaso steel Duo.
                            But ask yourself why you want a "Dual Boiler" ?
                            Is it because you know it will better suit you,...or because you think it may be better ?
                            Seeking out a good single boiler, or a HX will give you many more options, such as the Silvia's (SB) , and NS Oscars (HX), which often sell below that price point.
                            Read up some of the discussions on HX vs DB, and consider the type of coffee you want to make, then decide the best type of m/c suits you best.
                            Last edited by blend52; 14 August 2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

cheers for the help... the misses and i have descided with the bes860xl and payed $574 for it which i think is a wicked price as most places i found had it for atleast $600..

I so wanted the dual boiler but thought about it.. mainly the space is limited in our place..
                              Also been eeeefy about breville/sunbeam as cheap and not so good machines.
                              But seen reviews and vids on youtube about it..
                              So any info u guys can tell me before i get it? whats the best setup for the grinder?
                              just had alittle read that people have been moding the grinder to get the best grind. Would it be worth doing it?

Comment

Working...
                              X